• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, just wondering if anyone lives in dracut ma and knows weather or not it is easy to get a class A here. looking to go hi-cap and conseal bu i don't know the chief or if he is lienant or not.

From reading this thread, it sounds like ALP is not going to happen, but a class A with restrictions will happen.

Canton LTC

Canton isn't as difficult as I think it's made out to be. When you first apply, if you haven't had anything before (FID, etc), you will be given a Class B. After a year, you can apply, and will generally be granted a Class A.

I know of one case where someone that had an FID was immediately given a Class A. I think they just want to make sure you aren't going to do anything bad before they give you a Class A.

Canton isn't as difficult as I think it's made out to be.
[sad2]

No, that's as difficult (and unacceptable) as it is made out to be... [thinking]

In contrast, I go to my PD, fill out the paperwork - and some number of weeks later, I get an LTC-A unrestricted. What makes me so special in this town, but such a risk in yours?[hmmm]

My case in Canton: being a first-time applicant 1.5 years ago, I could not in any way persuade the licensing officer to give me anything other than an LTC-B with T&S restriction.

In late Nov I decided to try my luck on upgrading. I prepared this whole speech but half way through it the licensing officer asked me jokingly to calm down and a big speech isn't necessary: that I held up my end of the deal (to be a responsible new gun owner), and now my case will be reviewed again. I went through the same app forms with the officer there and paid the $100 application fee.

Today I got the call and picked up my A ALP at the PD. Simple as that.

Canton isn't as difficult as I think it's made out to be. When you first apply, if you haven't had anything before (FID, etc), you will be given a Class B. After a year, you can apply, and will generally be granted a Class A.

I know of one case where someone that had an FID was immediately given a Class A. I think they just want to make sure you aren't going to do anything bad before they give you a Class A.

Who's side are you on?[rolleyes]

If someone is going to commit a crime with a gun, they could care less what type of license they have. Canton politicians believes this actually helps reduce gun crime, yet it has been proved time and time again that the exact opposite takes place with license restrictions.

Who's side are you on?[rolleyes]

If someone is going to commit a crime with a gun, they could care less what type of license they have. Canton politicians believes this actually helps reduce gun crime, yet it has been proved time and time again that the exact opposite takes place with license restrictions.

Canton remains black if that's what you are asking. I'm in complete agreement that a license restriction is a moot point. I kept my post at a neutral tune just to inform other Canton residents on this board that there is light at the end of not-so-long tunnel. I'm getting involved in local politics to change things for the better, but until then, I have to work with what I've got.

My case in Canton: being a first-time applicant 1.5 years ago, I could not in any way persuade the licensing officer to give me anything other than an LTC-B with T&S restriction.

What is "T&S?"

You cannot carry concealed on a "B," so why any restriction?

Target & Sport

The B-license says 'License to Carry Firearm' on it, but the MGL says you can't carry with a B. Wouldn't be the first thing in MA that doesn't make any sense.

It is not illegal to carry openly, though some people on here think that is not such a good idea. YMMV.

Marlborough remains "green". My wife and I both got our unrestricted Class A's after about 8 weeks (Thanksgiving/Christmas in there). The Sgt was very friendly and the process went smoothly.

Here is an update for Salem.

I called on Dec 8th to make an appointment for the interview and was told I can make an appointment but they are backlogged until Jan 6th.

Today being Jan 6th I went in and everything was smooth, nice guy but the Salem Policy is they don't give out ALP licenses unless you are law enforcement or a business owner. You need to bring in your business license certificate and a good reason for needing to carry to be considered. They will give out a Class A no problem but its restricted to Target and Sporting.

Also an update for Marblehead, my Co-worker and I went to the same saftey class. He called to make an appointment for the Interview and they told him to come right down and they gave him an ALP Class A No restrictions.

I guess I need to move 2 miles up the street [rolleyes]

Hamilton should not be BLACK, I know of atleast 3 people including myself that had no problem at all getting a LTC Class A.

Hamilton should not be BLACK, I know of atleast 3 people including myself that had no problem at all getting a LTC Class A.

Okay - other posts said they couldn't get a Class A from Hamilton unless you were a business owner, and then there's one that says Hamilton is getting a new Chief. Did that happen and now they issue A's?? Anyone??

Okay - other posts said they couldn't get a Class A from Hamilton unless you were a business owner, and then there's one that says Hamilton is getting a new Chief. Did that happen and now they issue A's?? Anyone??

I know 2 people that got LTC Class A licenses, one was a business owner, this was with the former Chief which seemed a little anti 2nd Amendment. The new Chief was a former Vt Trooper and from what I have heard is more supportive of gun rights. I let my license expire, dont ask why...so I went through the process and it was pretty easy, 4 weeks and it came in the mail, no Drs notes, no references called. I already had my rebuttle letter typed preparing for the rejection, so im not sure where that puts Hamilton , but im not a business owner and had no problem, maybe red.

West Bridgewater is Green. Just picked up my license today, Class A no restrictions, first one i've ever had. Thank you for the applause. 2 letters of reference and safety course required. It took a while because I applied during the holidays & people were on vacation.

West Bridgewater is Green. Just picked up my license today, Class A no restrictions, first one i've ever had. Thank you for the applause. 2 letters of reference and safety course required. It took a while because I applied during the holidays & people were on vacation.

Congrats knucklehead.

Report from Bridgewater. First time applicant, and after only waiting 24 days from the day I submitted my application, I just received my LTC Class A. Restricted to Hunting & Target, but like others have reported, I was told that after a year of keeping my nose clean I can request to have the restrictions lifted and the Chief will approve. I can live with that. A 24 day turn around might be a new world record, too. The Sergeant that processes the applications was very helpful and positive throughout the procedure. Now the age old question: GP100 or 686....

I WAS READING THRU THE LIST OF TOWNS AND SAW HALIFAX WAS AWAITING FEEDBACK I RECENTLY MOVED TO HALIFAX FROM WEYMOUTH AND WANTED TO BE RELICENCED IN HALIFAX I TOOK ALL THE CORRECT STEPS TO DO SO AND THE HALIFAX LICENCING OFFICER SAID HE AGREED TO GIVE ME MY FULL UNRESTRICTED LTC BUT THE WEYMOUTH LICENCING OFFICER BRIAN KING REFUSES TO VOID MY OLD "RESTRICTED" LTC WHICH I THINK IS JUST PLAIN IGNORANT I HAVE A WIFE AND TWO KIDS NO CRIMINAL RECORD AND SHOULD BE ABLE TO CARRY FOR OUR PROTECTION I CANT GET THE UNRESTRICTED LTC UNTIL MY OLD ONE EXPIRES BRIAN KING WOULD ONLY GIVE ME AN UNRESTRICTED LICENCE IF I CARRY MONEY FOR WORK I GUESS MONEY IS MORE IMPORTANT TO PROTECT THEN THE LIVES OF MY FAMILY .

does the other LO really need to cancel your LTC early? What about people who renew just before theirs expires but is still active? Wouldnt it be the same thing? This system is so damned stupid.

Yes, the issuing town LO MUST void your old one prior to the new one being valid.

Renewals usually become effective on your B'day, regardless of how early you receive it, so there is no conflict.

Although you can have an active FID and LTC at the same time, you can't have 2 active LTCs at the same time. I suspect that they've tweaked the computer system to prevent this from happening. Thus the old LO must "release you" in order for the new one to become valid. Only reason for an old LO NOT to do this is to be a hardass, there is no valid reason to screw the honest citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom