Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where this puts Westminster now, but my brother-in-law, (phylor5333) applied for a Class A LTC-ALP and was whisked through the process. No interview, just zip, bang, boom and out the door. Thought he was a sure think for an ALP...I thought wrong. He got his Class A LIC-R in the mail on Friday...[thinking]

Is Carlisle still a RED town?

Does anybody have any recent experience in Carlisle to be able to provide a current report on conditions there? Is there any sense whether the restrictions imposed come from the Selectmen or strictly the Chief of Police. The Chief was new in 2006 so I'm wondering if anything has changed? Please relate your experience there, especially, if you moved to Carlisle already possessing an unrestricted LTC-A permit and simply needed to go through the renewal process. Thanks!

This is from one of my students.

"Hey mike I took the firearms safety class saturday night. I just wanted to update you, I just applie for my class A but automatically got bumped to a class B. Fyi I live in Rowley.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry"

This is from one of my students.

"Hey mike I took the firearms safety class saturday night. I just wanted to update you, I just applie for my class A but automatically got bumped to a class B. Fyi I live in Rowley.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry"

This is consistent with what we have seen in the past.

Not sure where this puts Westminster now, but my brother-in-law, (phylor5333) applied for a Class A LTC-ALP and was whisked through the process. No interview, just zip, bang, boom and out the door. Thought he was a sure think for an ALP...I thought wrong. He got his Class A LIC-R in the mail on Friday...[thinking]

So he requested ALP and got an H+T from them? [sad2]

-Mike

Waltham LTC Class A - Target and Hunting

Another confirmation for Waltham: Red

Licensing Officer Gormley was really nice throughout the whole process. He met with me to go over the requirements before any money was exchanged.

For the three letters of recommendation, he recommended is get one from my boss at work, one from my fiance (or significant other) and one from someone else that has an LTC. He said the letter from the boss is important to make sure you aren't gonna go "postal." He even asked me if I know what that term means. The letter from a significant other was to confirm that s/he would be comfortable with a firearm in the household.

He didn't even mention the letter to the chief required for an LTC-A ALP... that wasn't a good sign...

I went in a few weeks later with a money order, the application and all the letters (including a letter to the chief), had a photo taken and got fingerprinted. Was told it should be ready in a week and to call after 3 weeks if I don't hear anything.

Two weeks later I called and was told to come by the next day to pick it up. As expected, the license had a restriction "Target and Hunting".

When I asked why I was given a restriction he said that it's standard practice for new applicants. I would be issued an ALP at renewal. I asked if an ALP is guaranteed at renewal and he said yes as long as there are no "incidents". He even showed me another Target and Hunting license for another first timer as well as an unrestricted license for someone that has been licensed for 15 years.

The jist of the story is that they don't want novices carrying guns on a regular basis. After 6 years of trouble free licensing, they deem you fit to carry unrestricted.

The most controversial part was when he told me that I can carry on me as long as I am coming or going from a firing range or hunting. This contradicts what I've read about a restricted LTC but since the restrictions are specified by the town's police chief, what they say is what goes. I will still take that with a grain of salt though.

Last edited:
For the three letters of recommendation, he recommended is get one from my boss at work, one from my fiance (or significant other) and one from someone else that has an LTC. He said the letter from the boss is important to make sure you aren't gonna go "postal." He even asked me if I know what that term means. The letter from a significant other was to confirm that s/he would be comfortable with a firearm in the household.

[banghead]
That's actually good info to have. Thanks for posting. And yes, unless you get that in writing that you can carry to and fro the range, don't.

[banghead]
That's actually good info to have. Thanks for posting. And yes, unless you get that in writing that you can carry to and fro the range, don't.

Quoted from C. 140: S. 131C

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

The wording of this law implied that a Class A license holder can carry a firearm as long as the firearm is only accessible by the license holder. The real question is what does "Target and Hunting" mean? Does it mean you have to have the firearm unloaded and locked up until you arrive at one of these two thing or does it mean that as long as you have done or are going to do one of these two things, you may carry the firearm on you?

Don't you love gray areas? [thinking]

I'm going to request the definition of the restriction in writing but I'm not gonna hold my breath. This is EXACTLY why I wanted an unrestricted from the getgo to avoid all of the ambiguity associated with restrictions.

Any Bridgewater updates? A friend moved there and needs to renew his LTC-A ALP. I saw mixed results from the new chief, but the mixed part was a new applicant. Any info on treatment of renewals from a neighboring town?

Anyone have any updates for New Bedford? I have a friend that wants to apply for her LTC but is debating moving back to her parents home in another town if it's that difficult a process to obtain.

Thanks

Last edited:
Southampton ma

Just got my ltc A no restrictions in the town of southampton. I was supprised since im only 21, first time aplicant. I didnt even send a letter in, or ask for it to have no restrictions, just filled in the paper work and sent it in. so southampton might be greener than it appears.

Anyone have any updates for New Bedford? I have a friend that wants to apply for her LTC but is debating moving back to her parents home in another town if it's that difficult a process to obtain.

Thanks

Depends on what town her parents live in. Where?

Just got my ltc A no restrictions in the town of southampton. I was supprised since im only 21, first time aplicant. I didnt even send a letter in, or ask for it to have no restrictions, just filled in the paper work and sent it in. so southampton might be greener than it appears.

Hmmm, They have been known to previously be a red town.

my god--I just first looked at this thread today, since I live in Michigan.. but this color-coded crap for each town is rediculous. My ccw took one month, including the two day class and running for a picture. If you are honest and pass the class and pay the 105 bucks, its yours.

Paxton should be in green. Me and my family all have gotten LTC class A's without restrictions from the Chief.

An update for Wayland, they are now requiring a letter to the chief stating reason/intent, which made me a little nervous. But the LO was very nice to me this morning when I applied for my ALP and even complimented me on the quality of the letter and my organizational skills for showing up with the application and all associated forms filled out beforehand.

He said the chief believes in our rights and since I have no history I will get the ALP even though I am a first time applicant. He even told me some cool places to look for guns to buy :)

I was in and out in 25 minutes with fingerprints and photos and everything.

He said he would approve it right after I left and after that all the wait time would be at the state level, he estimated 5 weeks. He also said renewals take about 3 weeks. Now I just have to wait.

Wayland: still Green... :)

Topsfield

I call Topsfield GREEN. I just got my LTC-A ALP! It was a straightforward friendly process with no letters of reference or any obstructive hoops to jump through. I sensed nothing but a pro-people, pro-gun attitude from the people at the station.

It took only 5 weeks. Good thing too because I moved in from out of state with my toys and I was starting to get close to the 60 day grace period for keeping my toys in the house without any license.

Sterling was easy for me. CLASS A LTC. They didnt give a hard time. I even forgot to renew once and I emailed them when I realized it. I received a kind email from the Chief telling me not to worry about it. He said he wasnt going to come kick my door down or anything, Just stop by with the paperwork and all was fine. Great town! Hope this helps!

Sterling was easy for me. CLASS A LTC. They didnt give a hard time. I even forgot to renew once and I emailed them when I realized it. I received a kind email from the Chief telling me not to worry about it. He said he wasnt going to come kick my door down or anything, Just stop by with the paperwork and all was fine. Great town! Hope this helps!

all lawful purposes, I assume?

Thats correct, all Lawful Purposes. All my friends told me if I was going to go through all the trouble of the course and such to go for the gold and get the class A LTC all lawful purposes and im glad I did!

Has anyone here had any experience renewing an LTC-A ALP in Natick? I know people have had problems getting an LTC-A ALP, and some have no problems whatsoever, but what about renewals? I've recently bought my first condo in Natick[smile], and will be moving there shortly, but am worried about going from a VERY green town, Hopkinton, to a somewhat to very red town...And do I REALLY have to renew in Natick? Can't I just do it in Hopkinton?[wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom