Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everett,MA....waiting time:2 months,class A,restrictions:NONE ,gonna check some safes tonight and tomorrow going to buy a gun...very happy

revere/groveland

revere is restricted unless you transport large amounts of money.
groveland is restricted for the 1st year of license issue.
I'm glad i live in green malden!

Revere

Anyone know if something changed in Revere? Recent reports sound pretty bad, but a friend of mine had a very green experience there a couple of years ago.

Then again, another friend of mine had a green experience in Somerville of all places--really just demonstrates what an arbitrary and ridiculous system it is.

(Neither of these people have political connections or are otherwise anybody special, but both got unrestricted LTC-As, basically just for filling out the application and meeting the legal requirements. Somerville was an initial app, Revere was a renewal.)

Welcome aboard.

Can you please elaborate on this information, how you came to it?

revere:
my friend just applied for his ltc and the sergeant told him that it would be restricted unless he dealt with transporting money to the bank. I guess that they don't see a reason for issuing full licenses.

groveland:
my mother got her license last year. they told her that they issue restricted licenses for the first year, then grant full issue after that.

Can you please elaborate on your experience? Belmont has had some mixed stories.
Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be, after reading the forum of other peoples experience applying for their licenses, I was expecting a david and goliath type interview with the chief. But I pretty much walked in, meet with the Lt who was handling the apps. I told him the reasons why I needed unrestricted. He said that they usually don't give unrestricted for first time apps. Had another officer, I think he was learning how to do all the computer work for the applicants, he took my picture and my prints. And that was it, took me no more then 20mins.

Belmont is still a red town and will be until the laws change. Though if you have a “good reason” to get a unrestricted for first time, you should get it.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the good information in this thread. There is no way I could do it without you. I am trying to complete this list 100% If you have had an experience in any of these town listed below, please feel free to share it.

Alford
Aquinnah
Ashfield
Bernardston
Blandford
Boylston
Braintree
Brewster
Brookfield
Buckland
Charlemont
Chester
Chesterfield
Chilmark
Clarksburg
Colrain
Conway
Cummington
Deerfield
Dennis
Dighton
Dover
Dunstable
East Brookfield
Egremont
Erving
Florida
Foxborough
Freetown
Gill
Goshen
Gosnold
Granville
Great Barrington
Hadley
Halifax
Hampden
Hancock
Hatfield
Hawley
Heath
Hingham
Hull
Lancaster
Lanesborough
Leicester
Leverett
Lexington
Leyden
Longmeadow
Lynnfield
Manchester-by-the-Sea
Mattapoisett
Monroe
Montague
Monterey
Montgomery
Mount Washington
Nantucket
Needham
New Ashford
New Braintree
New Marlborough
New Salem
Northfield
Oak Bluffs
Orleans
Otis
Paxton
Petersham
Plainfield
Provincetown
Raynham
Richmond
Rowe
Russell
Sandisfield
Savoy
Sheffield
Shelburne
Sherborn
Shutesbury
South Hadley
Sterling
Stockbridge
Sunderland
Tisbury
Tolland
Topsfield
Warwick
Washington
Wendell
West Brookfield
West Tisbury
Whately
Williamsburg
Windsor

Bridgewater - restricted to target and hunting, 5 week wait. Was told the restriction can be removed after 1 year.

This is under the new chief and is actually an improvement from what I have heard. I guess the old chief was a b-rammer and you had to wait 6 years for the renewal before getting an A.

Bridgewater - restricted to target and hunting, 5 week wait. Was told the restriction can be removed after 1 year.

This is under the new chief and is actually an improvement from what I have heard. I guess the old chief was a b-rammer and you had to wait 6 years for the renewal before getting an A.

They seem to be one of the more inconsistent departments.[thinking]

Boylston, as I reported in this thread a few months ago, is GREEN

They wanted two letters of reference, even told me the language they wanted in each letter. Did the whole thing on the computer, asked, "You want an LTC A, right?" And after hearing my answers to reasons to carry, simply said, "OK, so basically all Lawful purposes, then."

Less then three weeks total, picked it up from Dispatch, as they require an in-person issuance.

Hull:

Had a close friend who applied and got Class A restricted after about 8 weeks last year.
Licensing officer inferred he could go for unrestircted upon renewal, but they typically did not offer that first time out. FWIW he said they were pleasant to deal with and in general did not make it difficult.

BJ, you might want to put a note next to Fitchburg that says "Unknown at
present - see: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77195

There is at least one report in that thread of someone getting messed around with in terms of even getting an appointment. It is unclear as to whether or not there are restrictions in place on new LTCs...... but we should mark it so that anyone considering moving there takes note of the possibility that someone may be heading into red territory.

-Mike

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the good information in this thread. There is no way I could do it without you. I am trying to complete this list 100% If you have had an experience in any of these town listed below, please feel free to share it.

Topsfield

FWIW, recently a casual acquaintance from Topsfield told me he got an unrestricted A with no issues.

I just moved to Topsfield from CA with all my toys. While picking up the application at the police station I chatted with the LEO manning the dispach radios. I have an appointment with the COP in 1 week and the LEO says if the background check is clean (which it is boringly so) the license should take only 2 weeks! I'll keep you posted.

Handgun laws

I was given as a gift a gun from a friend in NH. But its not on the list for MA approved firearms roster. I believe this is for dealer transfers/sales and not for person to person transfers?
Anyone have a real (not presumed or guessing understanding) of the MA regs and laws regarding this issue specifically?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom