Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that part of the reason for the quick turnaround is that I didn't have to turn in the actual application, when I met with the LO she filled in the application directly online.

Pretty sure they all do this. I gave the LEO my filled out paper app, which he used to type the stuff in online. Maybe your town is just more efficient than most. Going on 2 weeks here in Shrewsbury.

<--- impatient [rofl]

Pretty sure they all do this. I gave the LEO my filled out paper app, which he used to type the stuff in online. Maybe your town is just more efficient than most. Going on 2 weeks here in Shrewsbury.

<--- impatient [rofl]
Same in Concord, still took about 7-8 weeks... Not horrible, but not 40 days either...

Melrose is still green. Took me 5 weeks to get an unrestricted Class A but 2 weeks of that was on me. (I was out of town for a 2 week work thing when they were ready for me to come in for my prints.) So - call it about 3 weeks in Melrose. LTC A, no restrictions.

Stonehan is a definite GREEN Had appointment and LTC class A no restrictions in 14 days. First time applicant.

Ripton MA is green-----

chief Coakley only gives out class A's
and he prides himself on getting you your permit
in less than a month!

you have to submit you application at noon any day of the
week. He expects you to take him to lunch while he reviews
the paperwork.

http://www.billericanews.com/news/ripton/Ripton.html

Thanks for the updates

Ripton MA is green-----

chief Coakley only gives out class A's
and he prides himself on getting you your permit
in less than a month!

you have to submit you application at noon any day of the
week. He expects you to take him to lunch while he reviews
the paperwork.

http://www.billericanews.com/news/ripton/Ripton.html

Keep dreaming. [grin]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripton,_Massachusetts

Ripton is a fictitious town in Massachusetts, United States. A professor at the University of Massachusetts sought to demonstrate and protest the ignorance of the state bureaucracy in Boston of the rural portions of the commonwealth. To do so, he invented the town of Ripton. He then proceeded to apply for various grants and other official assistance, and the town was allotted funds in the state budget. Several checks were issued, and deposited in an escrow account, before the hoax was uncovered. The funds were returned and the matter dropped.

Went to apply in Marblehead this past Saturday.
The town's LO, Lt. Freeman, was very cordial and the process couldn't have been easier. I had what he referred to as the "old application" already filled out as I printed it from their website. I'm not sure if it's actually going to be used for anything since he went over the entire application with me beforehand verbally right on the computer there. When I called for the appointment he told me it should take about 45 minutes as a new applicant - I was out within 25.

He said assuming all the background checks come up clear I will have an LTC-A - Restrctions: None within a month which is down from 4 months with their previous system.

The only "requirements" he has for issuing for concealed carry is that he expects any firearm carried to remain concealed and immediate notification to any LEOs when stopped if you are carrying. He mentioned that he knows that GOAL and some other organizations may disagree with that practice but considering how painless the process was I don't personally find it to be very much to ask.

Long story short: Marblehead is certainly very much so GREEN

Anyone know what Braintree's status is? I have to move in the next couple of months and might be rooming with a friend there. I'm hoping it's green since my only other option is to look amongst friends who live in Boston proper or Cambridge, and I don't want to get neutered. :-/

Just wanted to let everyone know that W. Boylston is still very green. A person I know here just got her LTC-A no restrictions in a little over 4 weeks. No extra questions or hoops....just friendly chat while getting printed.

I noticed that Barre didn't have any stats on it....I personally know 4 people who got unrestricted class A's there within the last few years. Two people were never licensed prior and two were previously licensed. Hope it helps.

The only "requirements" he has for issuing for concealed carry is that he expects any firearm carried to remain concealed and immediate notification to any LEOs when stopped if you are carrying. He mentioned that he knows that GOAL and some other organizations may disagree with that practice but considering how painless the process was I don't personally find it to be very much to ask.

I do - and so does the Constitution...

I'm glad that they seem to be doing a good job processing the applications and I am even more pleased that they are doing as they should and issuing unrestricted LTC-A's, but judging government by it's politeness and efficiency of their bureaucracy is a really bad idea...

I do - and so does the Constitution...

I'm glad that they seem to be doing a good job processing the applications and I am even more pleased that they are doing as they should and issuing unrestricted LTC-A's, but judging government by it's politeness and efficiency of their bureaucracy is a really bad idea...

True. It's unfortunate that the chief didn't word his request differently. If he said, "I know the law doesn't require it, but I would prefer...." Most folks would go along with a reasonable request. Unfortunately, in the PRM, the situation could be much worse. [sad]

True. It's unfortunate that the chief didn't word his request differently. If he said, "I know the law doesn't require it, but I would prefer...." Most folks would go along with a reasonable request. Unfortunately, in the PRM, the situation could be much worse. [sad]
Agreed - every requirement he places on it must be mentally coupled with "or I will deem you unsuitable and revoke your license"...

i.e. "You may not invoke your 4th or 5th amendment rights, or I will deem you unsuitable"

Agreed - every requirement he places on it must be mentally coupled with "or I will deem you unsuitable and revoke your license"...

i.e. "You may not invoke your 4th or 5th amendment rights, or I will deem you unsuitable"

Agreed. Though to be fair he said he had 2 requirements, named them as mentioned in my first post, then mentioned the part about knowing GOAL may disagree stating that for the safety of everyone involved POs should be informed. (Don't want to start anything - I know that statement is a touchy subject) Then proceed to say that because of that he would suggest immediate disclosure.

It went from a requirement to a suggestion by the end of the discussion but I'm going to treat it exactly as you state, cekim - more of an "I suggest you do this or I will deem you unsuitable..." though I didn't at all detect any underlying threat in the way he was speaking.

Also for clarification this was entirely with the officer in charge of firearms licensing, Lt. Freeman, and did not directly involve the chief at all. No reference letters or letter to the CoP required.

Just to add more inconsistencies to Revere, My brother's GF applied for A with no restrictions at the beginning of the summer and was rammed with a B just this week.

Bridgewater is now a GREEN town!

Hi all,

Good news! I just came from my interview at the Bridgewater PD to drop off my LTC application. After a very pleasant application submission process, I chatted with the very professional officer (I'll leave names out of the posting). I found out that the NEW Bridgewater PD Chief does not see any need to restrict LTC's, if you want an unrestricted LTC, and you are a law abiding citizen that is what they will give you. Very good news indeed!
[smile]

Last edited:
I have not received my permit, and I don't know if it will have restrictions, but as I posted in the "welcome newbies" thread, I have it on good authority that my LTC-A is approved and I will be receiving it shortly. Nonetheless, this is my experience with Dedham to date.

I submitted my application a little over six weeks ago. The officer that is processing my paperwork told me that it's extremely rare for the chief to deny an application if the BG check comes back clean. He also mentioned that restrictions are almost unheard of. Take that with a grain of salt...

That being said, the officer that is currently processing applications is not the usual or permanent guy. The officer that was processing them was let go a couple of months ago as part of a big layoff in the Dedham PD (or so I was told).

The application process went smoothly. I was told to call back in a few days if I hadn't been contacted to set up an appointment for an interview with the chief. I never heard from them, so after about a week I called back and set the appointment. I went in a couple of weeks ago to meet with the chief, but he was out that day, so I met with some other guy (deputy chief? *shrug*).

This guy did not seem too keen on citizens carrying.

He asked a number of seemingly standard questions (how long I've lived in Dedham, married or single, any kids, etc.). He mentioned a number of times that there will likely be restrictions. Interestingly, the way he stated this seemed a little weird. He also looked at me strangely after each iteration of the statement, which leads me to believe he could have been testing me for a reaction. I simply "nodded and smiled," as the saying goes.

He then said, "Under your reason for wanting a permit, you wrote, 'All Lawful Purposes.' What does that mean?"

"I'm not sure I understand the question."

"Well, all you wrote was, 'All Lawful Purposes.' That doesn't tell us anything."

"Well, I'm still a bit confused by this question, but I'm saying that I want the permit for anything and everything that the law allows. All the purposes that are lawful."

"Can you expand on that?"

"I guess I can try. Home protection, personal protection, target shooting...maybe a little bit of hunting. Anything that's legal I would like to have the option to do should I choose to."

"Okay, well for future reference, 'All Lawful Purposes' doesn't tell us anything. It's very vague."

(I bit my tongue and refrained from explaining to him that ALP is the exact opposite of vague; it's very a very specific 'D. All of the above' answer...it's all-encompassing...)

At one point during the conversation, he actually said, "We can't have people just wandering the streets with guns." [rolleyes] [shocked] [thinking]

Otherwise, the interview went well and like I said, I have been told by a friend that my permit should be in any day now. Hopefully the interview guy was either testing me for a response, or was simply using the opportunity to pontificate his own personal [STRIKE]ignorance[/STRIKE] beliefs.

Here are some smarmy responses I had cooked up in my brain to the 'wandering the streets' statement:

- You mean except criminals, right?

- Oh, sorry for any confusion, officer. I'm not applying to be a cop, I just want a permit.

- How many people do you know that have the time and the inclination to wander around, armed or not? Most people I know are usually going somewhere.

- I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but is there a requirement once a permit has been issued to wander? I'm not really interested in wandering, and I want to be clear on what's expected of me once a permit has been issued.

- Oh, well I’m the type of guy who will never settle down. Where pretty girls are, well you know that I’m around. I kiss ’em and I love’em ’cause to me they’re all the same...oh, sorry. I love that song.

...This guy did not seem too keen on citizens carrying.

"Okay, well for future reference, 'All Lawful Purposes' doesn't tell us anything. It's very vague."

I wish you could have said that "Restrictions: Target and hunting is vague. So does that mean I can't target shoot or hunt?" [rolleyes]

You will get restricted if that exchange is indicative of anything...

I wish you could have said that "Restrictions: Target and hunting is vague. So does that mean I can't target shoot or hunt?" [rolleyes]

You will get restricted if that exchange is indicative of anything...
Well, I'm going to hold out hope. According to the officer that processed my paperwork, the chief has the right attitude about issuing permits. I'm hoping the guy I interviewed with (whose job it isn't to issue permits) was either testing me for a reaction, or just proselytizing.

I should hopefully know sometime this week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Well, I'm going to hold out hope. According to the officer that processed my paperwork, the chief has the right attitude about issuing permits. I'm hoping the guy I interviewed with (whose job it isn't to issue permits) was either testing me for a reaction, or just proselytizing.

I should hopefully know sometime this week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck. Keep us informed.

A friend of mine just got a Class A no restrictions from Randolph. First time applicant. They wanted him to be a member of a club first [rolleyes] and took some time scheduling... result was the right thing...process could use some work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom