Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given as a gift a gun from a friend in NH. But its not on the list for MA approved firearms roster. I believe this is for dealer transfers/sales and not for person to person transfers?
Anyone have a real (not presumed or guessing understanding) of the MA regs and laws regarding this issue specifically?
Thanks.

wrong thread/ forum. Your question isnt very clear, but if you are from mass and did a person to person handgun transfer with a friend from nh you made a boo boo

wrong thread/ forum. Your question isnt very clear, but if you are from mass and did a person to person handgun transfer with a friend from nh you made a Federal Felony mistake!

Corrected above!! [thinking]

And NOT smart to post such an admission on the Internet, accessible to anyone with a computer!

Last edited:
Ill make it clearer. I was in NH and was given a handgun from a friend. I did not take it home to MA because Im not sure how this is supposed to be done. Or if it canbe done at all. I know that MA requires the form for sales/transfers to be filled out in 7 days. My questions is about the gun itself. It is not on the Approved Roster of Forearms for MA. BUT my understanding of the regs is that these are for dealer to dealer or dealer to person and NOT for person to person transfers.

You missed the point completely.

Fed Law PROHIBITS ALL gun transfers FTF across state lines. All gun FTF transactions MUST be between two people that RESIDE in the same state. All handgun transactions must be ONLY FTF between residents of the same state OR thru an FFL in the new owner's state. Since it's not on the EOPS Roster, MA FFL can NOT transfer it to you at all.

Only exceptions to the above is inheritance from a dead person or if gun is a C&R eligible gun and new owner possesses a C&R FFL.

OK. Good thing I left it in NH. Where can I read these regs and laws to clarify all this.
Is it an issue for me to use it at all in NH?
I have my Class A and have hunted in NH before but how does this impact my use if the gun in NH?

OK. Good thing I left it in NH. Where can I read these regs and laws to clarify all this.
Is it an issue for me to use it at all in NH?
I have my Class A and have hunted in NH before but how does this impact my use if the gun in NH?

As long as your with a NH resident who can claim ownership of it, you're fine. You can shoot it there with no problem. You just can't be it's papa and bring it home.

As a suggesstion - are you a GOAL member? If not, it would be a good idea. You can go to their web site and follow the links to the laws. www.goal.org

Now - may we please stay on topic of the thread? Thank you. [grin]

Westport Update...

I had posted here before that Westport was green. That was based on my three renewals. I always got class A, ALP; no letters or additional hoops to jump through.

A friend is currently applying for his license for the first time. He has to write a letter explaining why he wants a license and has to provide three letters of reference. [frown]

I've just finished giving him a reference letter from me. His appointment for the actual application is due in the near future. I will post back when he gets his license as to type/restrictions.

Just got the phone call (and went and got) my LTC-A ALP in Westford. 54 days (counting weekends). It was a fairly smooth process, if long. They do ink prints AND digital prints (digitals are for the pic on the card that you can't really see anything on anyway.), and the officer that does the ink prints is only available two nights a week (mon and wed, if I remember). The woman who does the applications is very helpful. My process got drawn out by a couple state holidays, and the fact that the woman who does them went on vacation (she's allowed, not complaining about that) and had some mandatory training she had to attend.

My girlfriend got hers in half the time...maybe I'm just unlucky

Ok, I am new to this forum and have a question. I live in a green town and have been waiting 12 weeks for my LTC. I dropped off my completed application to the station July 31st and still have not recieved it. I took my fireamrs safety course from a cop here in town that does it on the side and one, of my letters of recommendation was written by another cop in town who is a neighbor. My other letter was written by a friend who is an NRA instructor.
My criminal record is almost spotless. I was arrested in 1989 for driving with a suspended license. The charges were dropped after I proved in court that I paid the speeding ticket in question, but I still reported the arrest on my application. My friend the LEO said it was best to disclose it even though it was not a criminal offense and the charges were dropped. That sppeding ticket was the only one I ever got in my life and it was twenty years ago.
Two months after I dropped off the application I got a phone call from the Sargent in town that processes the applications asking me to come to the station so he could process the app. He went over the app with me, took my prints and picture etc and said I should have no problem. I thought I would get my LTC then but was crushed when he said it should take about a month. That was almost six weeks ago.
Any advice out there amongst the esteemed and learned posters? I want to give a call but fear that appearing to anxious will be detremental to my cause. Should I just continue to be patient?

Two months after I dropped off the application I got a phone call from the Sargent in town that processes the applications asking me to come to the station so he could process the app. He went over the app with me, took my prints and picture etc and said I should have no problem. I thought I would get my LTC then but was crushed when he said it should take about a month. That was almost six weeks ago.
Any advice out there amongst the esteemed and learned posters? I want to give a call but fear that appearing to anxious will be detremental to my cause. Should I just continue to be patient?

Mine took 6 weeks and 3 days AFTER I did prints and interview. How long has it been since you have done prints? I have a friend waiting for his in Boston and this is his 6th week after prints and still nothing. I think if you are cool about it when you call or drop by, you should be fine.

I had my prints etc done on 19 September. The Sargent told me that they were pretty backed up but I live in a Green town so I thought that it might move along quicker

I had my prints etc done on 19 September. The Sargent told me that they were pretty backed up but I live in a Green town so I thought that it might move along quicker

People have waited a lot longer than that. Just because you live in a "green" town doesn't mean you will get it faster, but that you will most likely get it unrestricted.

People have waited a lot longer than that. Just because you live in a "green" town doesn't mean you will get it faster, but that you will most likely get it unrestricted.

Ah, a glimmer of hope.... "unrestricted". Wouldn't that be nice. Maybe I'll wait another week and give him a call.

You have to start the clock here. Six weeks is not uncommon, although by law there is a 40 day automatic denial which they pretty much ignore. All apps are funneled through the Criminal History Systems Board, so being in a green town doesn't make any difference.

I think the cop gave you good advice to fess up to anything and everything. At least you are in control of the situation, and can put a positive spin on it. It's when you don't mention s/t that shows up on a CHSB check that things start to come apart at the seams.

Thanks for the reality check. I will be patient.

I will say that the whole process has been very pleasant and professional. Every LEO in town I have spoken to has been very helpful. Both Police and Fire in my home town are awesome. I have only had to call 911 once in twenty years and I can't tell you what a great feeling it is to hang up the phone and immediatley hear sirens in the distance, closing fast.

?Weymouth

Can anyone comment on the LTC status of Weymouth now that there is a new chief? Anyone obtain and unrestricted class A LTC? Thanks

Harvard is green. Took exactly 5 weeks from dropping off the application to picking up the license. No restrictions. Officers and staff were very nice and professional.

Sandwich is Most definately Green. Not only did they issue with no restrictions, they helped me fix the issue with the license so it will be issued on time.

I can say without doubt that Medford is a candidate for the BLACK! I started the process back in January this year and did not get my license until mid-April. Furthermore, I was told I had almost no chance of getting my unrestricted LTC, but if I wanted to have any chance, I had to take my safety instruction through the PD. Low and behold, it was twice as much as the NRA course, half as long, and my payment went directly to one of their officers. My feeling is that the only reason I actually got the unrestricted license in the end is because I sometimes am transporting very expensive equipment. The default opinion of the chief seems to be that nobody should have a gun except police and criminals. Overall experience was painful, expensive, and unnecessary. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Last edited:
I can say without doubt that Medford is a candidate for the BLACK! I started the process back in January this year and did not get my license until mid-April. Furthermore, I was told I had almost no chance of getting my unrestricted LTC, but if I wanted to have any chance, I had to take my safety instruction through the PD. Low and behold, it was twice as much as the NRA course, half as long, and my payment went directly to one of their officers. My feeling is that the only reason I actually got the unrestricted license in the end is because I sometimes am transporting very expensive equipment. The default opinion of the chief seems to be that nobody should have a gun except police and criminals. Overall experience was painful, expensive, and unnecessary. Anyone else have a similar experience?

That's still red, not black (yeah, it gets worse...). Too bad though we don't have a special color for corruption... BTW: Please post that story in this thread too.

Terraformer, sorry for the confusion. I thought BLACK was for next to impossible. That is pretty much what the LO told me when I formed the request. I'll outline below what they required.

1. Completed city application
2. Two reference contact information and letters of recommendation
3. Employer contact information, reference, and confirmation that I routinely transported expensive equipment
4. Proof of a basic safety course, BUT if I wanted LTC-A unrestricted, I only had a chance if I took the course from their officer (privately paid)
5. Obvious fingerprinting, background check, etc. etc.
6. Personal letter from me stating all the reasons I wanted an ALP, specifically citing my professional reasons

Now, as I said, I was told these are almost never issued and I was "lucky" to have gotten one. The total cost was $325.00. Here are the reasons I think I got it:

1. Reference from two attorneys, who both had their unrestricted LTC
2. Confirmation from an employer that I often carried expensive equipment
3. Reference from a former state trooper
4. Statement from a friend whom had been training me to shoot for over a year
5. Membership in the gun club where I had been trained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom