• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheUnforgiven,

I am not aware of ANY PD that will outright "deny" strictly because of age. So you need not worry about that unnecessarily.

If there are no skeletons in your closet, you WILL get a permit wherever you live in MA . . . it may take anywhere from a few weeks to 6+ months and it might be a LTC-B or restricted LTC-A, but it will be a permit. The variables depend on how seriously the PD takes the task of licensing, personnel availability (it's not the only job for anyone at a PD, except for one town in NE MA where a retiree was hired back to do only licensing), and their political bent on permitting.

Correct.

ALP is All Lawful Purposes. That's what you answer when asked what the reason is for asking for a license.
I got a puppy-dog head cocked to the side response when I said that on mine... He asked me a series of leading questions to produce a list of "reasons" to put in there instead of "All Lawful Purposes"...

I got a puppy-dog head cocked to the side response when I said that on mine... He asked me a series of leading questions to produce a list of "reasons" to put in there instead of "All Lawful Purposes"...

What part of the "all lawful purposes" did he not get? It covers everything. [thinking]

What part of the "all lawful purposes" did he not get? It covers everything. [thinking]
He knew what it meant, but wanted actual words to put on the form...

He typed it into the electronic version in front of me - only using the paper I had filled out to avoid asking me a lot of dumb questions...

As I said, he asked me polite leading questions "and that includes?" "and do you want to transport and store ammunition?" "and do you want to hunt and target practice?" "and do you need this work work?" and so on...

That was after I said "self defense"...

I have no idea who's requirements he was trying to fulfill, but it was clear there was a script he was trying to follow...

p.s. I answered "no" to "needing it for work"...

It's an ego thing! "Nobody is going to tell ME what to do/say/write!!"

I've had two chiefs that I know personally go into a rant, telling me that "GOAL isn't going to me them what to do!"

GOAL suggested the "ALP" phrase many years ago and wrote up a info sheet on why it behooved the local chief (wrt liability) to use that terminology. Some chiefs read it and agreed . . . others dug their heels in as I said at the beginning of this response.

It's an ego thing! "Nobody is going to tell ME what to do/say/write!!"
[laugh] He was good humored throughout the process (I even made some jokes that I would not dare make in a non-green town)... If it was ego, it didn't seem that way...

The feeling I got from the entire process was that it was theater for "someone else"... Who that "someone else" was, I do not know...

It's not like any of the answers he put in my mouth had any relationship to the license issued ("restrictions none")...

So, again, I have no idea for whom we were dancing, but it didn't seem to be the licensing officer himself...

Last edited:
I've had two chiefs that I know personally go into a rant, telling me that "GOAL isn't going to me them what to do!"
p.s. I do/did wonder about that...

Seems to me GOALs combative approach to the application process is (while understandable) a bit of a violation of the catching flies with honey approach to life...

Expect the best, prepare for the worst... Don't write your unabomber manifesto on your application - but bring it with you just in case[wink]

[laugh] He was good humored throughout the process (I even made some jokes that I would not dare make in a non-green town)... If it was ego, it didn't seem that way...

The feeling I got from the entire process was that it was theater for "someone else"... Who that "someone else" was, I do not know...

It's not like any of the answers he put in my mouth had any relationship to the license issued ("restrictions none")...

So, again, I have no idea for whom we were dancing, but it didn't seem to be the licensing officer himself...

Be careful though, that theater is on the record. Depending on what was said, it could come back to bite you in the ass.

Be careful though, that theater is on the record. Depending on what was said, it could come back to bite you in the ass.
He was not recording audio... (not that it would have mattered if he did)

I saw what he typed in... It was simply a list of "reasons" that I was requesting a license...

Last edited:
Just got my Braintree LTC, unrestricted. I needed to provide a letter from my employer and 5 letters of reference. It only took 21 days though! I think this makes braintree red?

Just got my Braintree LTC, unrestricted. I needed to provide a letter from my employer and 5 letters of reference. It only took 21 days though! I think this makes braintree red?

Did the Chief actually say he needed all of this for you to be considered an unrestricted LTC?

180 days tomorrow in peabody. firearms officer didnt return my last 4 calls so i called the chief. im sure i will get on his nerves so i guss ill settle for a "B", at least ill be getting something for my 100 bucks. i have never felt so helpless, let me know if i am setting some sort of record.. thanks

180 days tomorrow in peabody. firearms officer didnt return my last 4 calls so i called the chief. im sure i will get on his nerves so i guss ill settle for a "B", at least ill be getting something for my 100 bucks. i have never felt so helpless, let me know if i am setting some sort of record.. thanks

call a firearms attorney and get them to submit a letter on your behalf perhaps? a simple letter sayin that you are waiting. WHo knows, might work. Or you can call your representative and tell them that policies regarding licensing aside, they are breaking their own law by not issuing in a timely manner.

The mayor is up for reelection. He may be of some use given he needs all the support he can get. Call his office.

Well finally got my Medford LTC. Don't know if they renewed it as a Class A or other until tomorrow morning when I pick it up.

I applied and was interviewed and fingerprinted on May 4th 2009. Quite a bit longer than 40 days if you ask me...

Well finally got my Medford LTC. Don't know if they renewed it as a Class A or other until tomorrow morning when I pick it up.

I applied and was interviewed and fingerprinted on May 4th 2009. Quite a bit longer than 40 days if you ask me...

Congrats - let us know how you fare with regard to restrictions...

WOW!

They Medford told me 3 weeks after prints and photo (which was on 8/19) that mine should be ready. I hope it's not as long as yours was. Did they say what took so long? yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom