• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally got mine in Greenfield years ago, (Green), renewed in Erving a couple of times in the last 8 years, super helpful department. (Green)

I don't know the exact answer to your questions, but I do know that there is a new Police Chief who came in with Mayor Lange who might be more willing to let citizens express their 2nd amendment right. [smile]

I was issued an "all lawful purposes" class A large capacity. I did have 2 letters of recommendation and I also wrote a letter. It was not required but I just did it anyway.

I don't know the exact answer to your questions, but I do know that there is a new Police Chief who came in with Mayor Lange who might be more willing to let citizens express their 2nd amendment right. [smile]

I was issued an "all lawful purposes" class A large capacity. I did have 2 letters of recommendation and I also wrote a letter. It was not required but I just did it anyway.

wow, that is kind of exciting to hear, to be quite honest. YOu didnt specify anything for work purposes did you?

If so, congratulations NB, you might have a chief who gets it.

I did not list anything specific as to why I might need to carry a weapon. Just, "for all lawful purposes". Not sure if the three letters I had helped any though.

I did not list anything specific as to why I might need to carry a weapon. Just, "for all lawful purposes". Not sure if the three letters I had helped any though.

Just to be sure, you don't know any local pols or the CLEO personally, right? Any reason to believe that some personal connection had anything to do with it?

If the letters were just character references from friends and relatives, then that is a major change for New Bedford.

ASHDUMP, I'm not doubting you at all, but I would like to hear from some other New Bedford folks as to their experiences.

I'm crossing my fingers that this is an actual change in policy and not just a fluke.

Hi,

Any one knows status for Leicester, MA? I searched the thread but didn't see anything about Leicester except the first page.

Thank you.

If the letters were just character references from friends and relatives, then that is a major change for New Bedford.

ASHDUMP, I'm not doubting you at all, but I would like to hear from some other New Bedford folks as to their experiences.

I'm crossing my fingers that this is an actual change in policy and not just a fluke.

I live in New Bedford, and I got my LTC-A no restrictions.Just got it last month. First time applicant. And it took only four weeks to get it.[smile]

I have no personal connections within the local gov't system. Sounds like Yogipooh had the same experience as me. My license took 3.5 weeks to get after submitting the paperwork. I do know however, that having the extra paperwork/references is not required but likened by the NB police.

I got my LTC in New Bedford in Feb.. and I know people and was told at that time that he was putting sporting restrictions on ALL new LTC's.. If they are not anymore, my ass will be down there tomorrow ... a**h***s..

I think I got royally screwed... bastards.. [laugh]
I may sound bitter, because i am...

the new mayor and new COP could have come in AFTER you got your LTC. Cant hurt to go ask if they will remove restrictions, but dont be shocked if they say "wait until renewal time".

Good luck!

the new mayor and new COP could have come in AFTER you got your LTC. Cant hurt to go ask if they will remove restrictions, but dont be shocked if they say "wait until renewal time".

Good luck!

The mayor has been here for a while, and the chief hasn't changed.. I am still going to ask though.. What could it hurt??

The mayor has been here for a while, and the chief hasn't changed.. I am still going to ask though.. What could it hurt??

He said it can't hurt - see above. Might as well go and ask, but don't get your hopes up, is what he was saying. I always set my hopes low, and I'm always thrilled when stuff turns out 1 better than I expected [grin]

I have no personal connections within the local gov't system. Sounds like Yogipooh had the same experience as me. My license took 3.5 weeks to get after submitting the paperwork. I do know however, that having the extra paperwork/references is not required but likened by the NB police.

Yes it was a good experience. But I have to disagree on the extra paperwork. On the Check list of the application that they give you at the police station, the second to last item it states:

"If you are applying for a LTC for reasons other than Hunting & Target, you MUST sumit a letter addressed To New Bedford Police Chief, specifying the reasons why you are requesting such a license."

After all the extra paperwork was required. I bet that If you didn't turn in that paperwork, your LTC will be saying TARGET and HUNTING.

So I'm confused. Did you provide a letter as to why you wanted a LTC ALP? I did not explain any reason as to why I needed one. It was a general letter about myself. 5 sentences maybe... The other letters where just recommendations.

Also, the application I filled out did not have that option. I downloaded a copy off the MA state website and was not specific to my city. There was no mention of letters of any sort.

So I'm confused. Did you provide a letter as to why you wanted a LTC ALP? I did not explain any reason as to why I needed one. It was a general letter about myself. 5 sentences maybe... The other letters where just recommendations.

Also, the application I filled out did not have that option. I downloaded a copy off the MA state website and was not specific to my city. There was no mention of letters of any sort.

Yes I did. The application at the police station will have a check list of things that you need. One of them was the letter to the Chief(If other than Target and hunting permit). Some towns will ask you for extra items. Thats why applicants need to go and pick an application at the station.

Last edited:
I'm glad it worked out the way it did for me. I didn't know I had to get a specific form from the PD station. The two must be very similar or else they probably would not have accepted it. Either way, it was a pleasant experience like you had mentioned earlier.

I applied for my LTC-ALP in Braintree today. Braintree wants a reason for requesting an ALP. They want:

A written statement

Five letters of reccomendation

A letter from an employer if applying for employment purposes

A letterhead for store owners for "on premises use"

"Persons transporting large sums of money, payrolls, or other valuable merchandise shall not be granted licenses to carry firearms unless they can show substantial threat to their person, where applicant has been a victim of robbery or other similar offense, documentary proof shall be required from the investigating agency."

"Where applicant's life has been threatened, the applicant must provide documentary proof showing such threats have been reported to the police department..."

"Other applicants must submit a real and unusual or serious need to carry firearms"

I have applied for employment purposes and have also provided a letter from Braintree Rifle and Pistol club. The IA of Braintree informed me that if someone meets both these criterea they usually issue ALP. I guess this makes Braintree red.

+1 to TYPEO1313 for this amazing thread, the thread that lead me here from google. I hope to one day see the map turned into an interactive flash map and the feedbacks organized by town. I know that's so massive of a project it's silly, this is just my imagination talking. Thanks TYPEO!

Just got back from finger printing in Belmont, Had to give two letters of recommendation along with a letter stating my purpose for an LTC-A unrestricted. If everything goes right with background check, i'll have my LTC-A unrestricted in six weeks. The LO was a nice guy, also found out there's alot of guns in Belmont [smile] Though Belmont is still a red town.

Just got back from finger printing in Belmont, Had to give two letters of recommendation along with a letter stating my purpose for an LTC-A unrestricted. If everything goes right with background check, i'll have my LTC-A unrestricted in six weeks. The LO was a nice guy, also found out there's alot of guns in Belmont [smile] Though Belmont is still a red town.

I am curious to know how it comes out!

Just another confirmation that Adams is red. They give you restricted for the first issuance, then may consider ALP after 5 years when it comes time for renewal. I got hunting/target. Trying for sporting since I was denied ALP. I dont hunt, and rarely target shoot. I carry only for protection.

Just another confirmation that Adams is red. They give you restricted for the first issuance, then may consider ALP after 5 years when it comes time for renewal. I got hunting/target. Trying for sporting since I was denied ALP. I dont hunt, and rarely target shoot. I carry only for protection.

Obviously I wish you luck but wouldn't yo want to target shoot frequently if you intend to carry for protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom