Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the issuing town LO MUST void your old one prior to the new one being valid.

Renewals usually become effective on your B'day, regardless of how early you receive it, so there is no conflict.

Although you can have an active FID and LTC at the same time, you can't have 2 active LTCs at the same time. I suspect that they've tweaked the computer system to prevent this from happening. Thus the old LO must "release you" in order for the new one to become valid. Only reason for an old LO NOT to do this is to be a hardass, there is no valid reason to screw the honest citizen.

sooo, it would be safe to say that King is being a b---h

the system does need the old licence to be voided for the new one to be activated what happened to the state taking over the licencing so the town officers didnt have control over who gets one or not

Yarmouth is Green but process took from October 15 to January 4.. Even though they told me the process is 6-8 weeks but they were running quickly and I should get mine sooner rather than later... oh well,,, At least I got it...

Middleton Got this E-mail from one of my students today.

"Hey Mike,

I had my interview today. The whole process was pretty quick. The first thing the chief said to me was that he only approves Class B licenses for new applicants. I asked if that was a state rule and he stated that it was "his rule". He said that I can get a Class A when I renew my license in 6 years. You might want to update you cities/towns in Massachusetts list because I know that Middleton was a town that you didn't have any information on."

Middleton Got this E-mail from one of my students today.

"Hey Mike,

I had my interview today. The whole process was pretty quick. The first thing the chief said to me was that he only approves Class B licenses for new applicants. I asked if that was a state rule and he stated that it was "his rule". He said that I can get a Class A when I renew my license in 6 years. You might want to update you cities/towns in Massachusetts list because I know that Middleton was a town that you didn't have any information on."

that. fvckin. SUCKS.

That's not his rule, that's the "you can have an AK, an AR and all sorts of really bad ass weaponry but god help us if you get your hands on a beretta 92fs" rule.

A friend of my son has applied for his LTC for the first time. He has only recently turned 21. He received it a short time ago: LTC A, no restrictions. I believe that Westport is GREEN. [grin]

Does anybody have any recent experience in Carlisle to be able to provide a current report on conditions there? Is there any sense whether the restrictions imposed come from the Selectmen or strictly the Chief of Police. The Chief was new in 2006 so I'm wondering if anything has changed? Please relate your experience there, especially, if you moved to Carlisle already possessing an unrestricted LTC-A permit and simply needed to go through the renewal process. Thanks!

Carlisle is definitely still red. I got my license a year and a half ago there, and while the application process was painless and the issuing officer very polite, it was made very clear that unrestricted class A licenses are never issued to a first time applicant, and only upon renewal will they CONSIDER lifting the restrictions. My grandfather was a volunteer firefighter and Carlisle town selectman but it didn't help me in this case! I'm now currently working on having the license voided so I can reapply in my new town

Last edited:
Did some searching and scanning through this thread but found no answer. The first page states Shrewsbury as being green. I may be moving there soon, and was wondering how there liscensing procdure was. I have an LTC A with no restrictions already from a different town and was wondering, if in the event I do end up moving there, what should I expect? Thank you.

Did some searching and scanning through this thread but found no answer. The first page states Shrewsbury as being green. I may be moving there soon, and was wondering how there liscensing procdure was. I have an LTC A with no restrictions already from a different town and was wondering, if in the event I do end up moving there, what should I expect? Thank you.

Shrewsbury is listed as green, so you should have little to no issues upon renewal. I really wish I didn't have to wait 4 1/2 years more til my renewal...I'm going to be fighting long and hard to get my restrictions lifted WELL prior to that. It's absolute BS when I have another license like many members here (Utah), which also required their own concealed carry course

Raynham is listed blue,but in my opinion it should be green.I have not heard of anyone not getting a non restricted Class A who was eligible for it.

Shrewsbury is listed as green, so you should have little to no issues upon renewal. I really wish I didn't have to wait 4 1/2 years more til my renewal...I'm going to be fighting long and hard to get my restrictions lifted WELL prior to that. It's absolute BS when I have another license like many members here (Utah), which also required their own concealed carry course

I hoping for no issues, seeing how I already have a no restrictions 'A'. I agree with you that it's BS that one can get an out of state permit, yet the state they are from, they are only issued at Sport and Target. Good luck with getting your restrictions lifted and thank you for responding.

New Bedford should be red. They will give you class A with restrictions at first, but state that upon renewal your chanced of getting ALP is much greater.

Does anyone know if Somerville is still red

Yes, though maybe not as bright a shade as some places. I have a bunch of friends in Somerville, and couple of years ago one of them got an unrestricted 'A' on initial application without knowing anybody in particular (though as a long-time gun-owning middle-aged adult moving there from out-of-state). I used to see a lot of people's LTCs on a regular basis, though, and mostly those from Somerville had the usual "Target and Hunting".

Somerville

Well i just finished my interview in Somerville. Requested personal protection and ALP. The chief straight up told me he normally puts restrictions on the licence such as hunting targeting because he does not think its a good idea to just have people walking around town with guns.

Can i get any info on Belmont and Chief Mclaughlin's gun control views? Im from Belmont and on febuary 28 plan to submit an application for a Hi-Capacity LTC. I mean, i do know the chief of police and he lives right up the street from me. What are my chances of getting a LTC? Would i be better off to go for a simple FID?

Can i get any info on Belmont and Chief Mclaughlin's gun control views? Im from Belmont and on febuary 28 plan to submit an application for a Hi-Capacity LTC. I mean, i do know the chief of police and he lives right up the street from me. What are my chances of getting a LTC? Would i be better off to go for a simple FID?

never ever settle for applying for an FID, Apply for the LTC-A. Except for a few ultra douchey towns, you will always get it, you just may have restrictions on your permit (I dont know about Belmont for restrictions, but they do issue LTC-A just fine)

Guys, I was wondering if anyone has heard of a change of heart in Medford. I reported a while back about my experience. The town was definitely Red, bordering on Black. Just yesterday my shooting buddy told me he had three guys he knows that always got T&H get ALP without even requesting it. Has anyone heard the same? This would be in like the last 3 months or so.

never ever settle for applying for an FID, Apply for the LTC-A. Except for a few ultra douchey towns, you will always get it, you just may have restrictions on your permit (I dont know about Belmont for restrictions, but they do issue LTC-A just fine)

yeah, thats what i intend to do. problem is, belmont is quite a douchebag, yuppie-puppy, densely packed suburb. I'll give it a go, though. Its not as if i'll be carrying guns around Belmont or doing any shooting within town limits. I want to be able to carry in case i find myself in a bad neighborhood of boston or something. otherwise the class-a license will be simply so i can own a few badass weapons. thanks for the input. any further specifics on the town would be appreciated.

yeah, thats what i intend to do. problem is, belmont is quite a douchebag, yuppie-puppy, densely packed suburb. I'll give it a go, though. Its not as if i'll be carrying guns around Belmont or doing any shooting within town limits. I want to be able to carry in case i find myself in a bad neighborhood of boston or something. otherwise the class-a license will be simply so i can own a few badass weapons. thanks for the input. any further specifics on the town would be appreciated.

Belmont might be one of those yellow/red "you want to talk to a gun lawyer" towns. It may be worth it. I have heard stories running the gamut from "I got B-rammed" to "Restricted A" to "I got Protection/None with a dog and pony show". If it is one of those "show need" towns, you may have to do a dog and pony show to get an unrestricted license. An MA gun lawyer can help you with your app. I recommend Darius Arbabi, Jesse Cohen, and Keith Langer. (They're all on here, although their posting frequency varies. )

See this thread for listings:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...achusetts-Lawyers-Specializing-in-Firearm-Law

-Mike

Belmont might be one of those yellow/red "you want to talk to a gun lawyer" towns. It may be worth it. I have heard stories running the gamut from "I got B-rammed" to "Restricted A" to "I got Protection/None with a dog and pony show". If it is one of those "show need" towns, you may have to do a dog and pony show to get an unrestricted license. An MA gun lawyer can help you with your app. I recommend Darius Arbabi, Jesse Cohen, and Keith Langer. (They're all on here, although their posting frequency varies. )

See this thread for listings:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...achusetts-Lawyers-Specializing-in-Firearm-Law

-Mike

He can always ask for Scriv [wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom