Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at a loss to understand why Avon is listed as a RED town.

I do not recall ever receiving a call from someone having a licensing problem there. I believe my recent thread about obstructionistic chiefs has NO reference to Avon; nor does my thread about chiefs imposing non-statutory "requirements."

I also have discussed licensing requirements, procedures and policies with Chief Phillips. I have never received an indication that he imposes, or even supports, such policies as "B-ramming," prohibiting unrestricted A's or non-statutory impedimenta.

If someone has a specific incident upon which to base Avon's RED rating, I would love to hear about it.

Last edited:
I am at a loss to understand why Avon is listed as a RED town.

I do not recall ever receiving a call from someone having a licensing problem there. I believe my recent thread about obstructionistic chiefs has NO reference to Avon; nor does my thread about chiefs imposing non-statutory "requirements."

I also have discussed licensing requirements, procedures and policies with Chief Phillips. I have never received an indication that he imposes, or even supports, such policies as "B-ramming," prohibiting unrestricted A's or non-statutory impedimenta.

If someone has a specific incident upon which to base Avon's RED rating, I would love to hear about it.

Using the search function (they even have one that searches the thread only) would have answered your question.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...tts-town?p=1126234&highlight=avon#post1126234

Using the search function (they even have one that searches the thread only) would have answered your question.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...tts-town?p=1126234&highlight=avon#post1126234

Not really. ONE quote, without context, is not much of a basis. IF this were an across-the-board policy, I expect there would be far more than a mere, single post. Moreover, even if it were a policy of "Restricted A to first-time applicants," that would NOT be grounds for declaring a town red.

A town which flatly refuses to issue unrestricted A's (Lowell, for example) or which imposes egregiously oppressive requirements (doctor's letters, 5 letters of recommendation, etc.) is RED.

A town which, for just one known applicant, gave a restricted A with upgrade on renewal is little more than yellow.

Not really. ONE quote, without context, is not much of a basis. IF this were an across-the-board policy, I expect there would be far more than a mere, single post. Moreover, even if it were a policy of "Restricted A to first-time applicants," that would NOT be grounds for declaring a town red.

A town which flatly refuses to issue unrestricted A's (Lowell, for example) or which imposes egregiously oppressive requirements (doctor's letters, 5 letters of recommendation, etc.) is RED.

A town which, for just one known applicant, gave a restricted A with upgrade on renewal is little more than yellow.

Your thread isnt the definite list fo all reports of licensing procedures, etc in towns, so just because it isnt there, does not mean it has not happened.

actually, many of the towns on the list are given their color based on one or two data points. The hope is that other people with experience in those towns will also speak up about their experiences as well. As the original color system was set up (and then expanded a bit ti cover conflicting reports) yellow addresses more of the towns in which different people get different permits from the same application. Natick is such a town that should be yellow, IMHO.

Avon has a population of just over 4K and we have one data point. My new town has a population of 11K, is 20 min outside of boston, and has 0 data points. So yes, there may be very few here who are from Avon. It happens. We all are doing the best we can.

Your thread isnt the definite list fo all reports of licensing procedures, etc in towns, so just because it isnt there, does not mean it has not happened.

I made no such claim for either of my threads. Try again.

I questioned why, based upon ONE response in which an LTC/A was issued, Avon was declared to be a red town.

That question stands.

Last edited:
Avon has a population of just over 4K and we have one data point. My new town has a population of 11K, is 20 min outside of boston, and has 0 data points. So yes, there may be very few here who are from Avon. It happens. We all are doing the best we can.

Understood.

I'll make it simple: Got a gripe about getting licensed in Avon? Let's hear it.

If none are forthcoming, Avon's classification as a red town should be revised accordingly.

I just got my Class A LTC Restrictions: NONE from Medford (picked it up this morning, in fact) with no hassle at all....I know people have had some trouble in the past, but I didn't even get a second look or a questioning when i put ALP on my application, so maybe (hopefully) things are changing...

I had a class A restricted to target\hunting issued in Medford, when I renewed in Tewksbury in 2008 they issued me a Class A unrestricted and stated that's all they issue.

Just wondering about Onset, does that fall under Wareham? My girlfriends father lives down there and is worried about getting the run around when he goes to renew.

Mike

Just interviewed in Methuen. First time applicant putting in for Class A ALP, got bumped down to Class B and told to keep a log of when I go to the range to show that I'm "serious about this stuff" and I can reapply for my class A after a year. The officer (Not the chief) I talked to didn't seem to know much about the details of the laws but was friendly and didn't seem to agree with a lot of the BS either. Methuen stays red and I will probably live in NH within the year.

Just interviewed in Methuen. First time applicant putting in for Class A ALP, got bumped down to Class B and told to keep a log of when I go to the range to show that I'm "serious about this stuff" and I can reapply for my class A after a year. The officer (Not the chief) I talked to didn't seem to know much about the details of the laws but was friendly and didn't seem to agree with a lot of the BS either. Methuen stays red and I will probably live in NH within the year.

Are you under 25? Under 30? Methuen should be black based on that crap.

We have found effective ways of handling issues like this. It may be too late for your situation but anyone who thinks their department may have this "perspective" should call our office.

Steve, MFS
781 559 3064

I'm 25 and was just honorably discharged from the Marines in December but policy is policy I guess. Not a big deal, all I'm bringing in is a rifle and 1911, just annoying is all.

Beyond annoying. Down right stupid frankly. But the reason I ask is it helps us to understand the types of licensing hurdles the towns are putting up. This is a common one for people your age.

PS: Check in with Derek via PM and say hi. He likes your kind. Something about being a satan's dog or some such moniker. [laugh]

Last edited:
Got my LTC-A no restrictions today in Danvers. Went smooth, the licensing officer was great. The wait was a little long but I was prepared for it. (76 days)

You run into a lot of disdain for those that have served honorably in Eastern MA PDs (admin types) I'm afraid. Thanks for your service and my sympathies for having to put up with that BS.

There is some good advice on how to at least get a good chance for a LTC-A (in those towns that like to B-ram) in one of the stickies, but regrettably it will only work in the initial interview process. So it looks like you get to waste another $100 a year later and perhaps get a LTC-A (probably restricted) at that time.

Additional info on the towns on Martha's Vineyard:

Chilmark: VERY GREEN. They just finished hiring a new Chief of Police, and it is very clear that the town of Chilmark loves their firearms, as many people there hunt during the fall.

West Tisbury: BLACK. With the exception of people who are VERY well known among the police officers, it is almost impossible for someone to receive a LTC-A unrestricted. FID/LTCs can take up to a year to receive (personal experience), and new applicants will have some sort of restriction (commonly, target/hunting only). Most of the time, they will issue LTC-Bs. They don't even issue LTC-As to their summer officers if they wish to apply for one outside of work. West Tisbury is also going through the process of hiring a new Chief, and the most likely candidate is VERY anti-firearm.

Tisbury: ORANGE: Again, like West Tisbury, you have to know the officers very well. Tisbury has had problems with their Chief of Police for the past 3-4 years, and they are still looking for a permanent Chief. For now, now is NOT the time to apply for a LTC there.

Oak Bluffs: ORANGE I know a few people who live in OB who have applied for FID/LTCs. Some got their permits no problem, others were refused or restricted. There didn't seem to be any consistency on records or history of the people, but in my opinion, WHERE in OB they lived.

Aquinnah: GREEN

Source: personal, also worked as a reserve officer on MV

I'm 25 and was just honorably discharged from the Marines in December but policy is policy I guess. Not a big deal, all I'm bringing in is a rifle and 1911, just annoying is all.

Friendly FYI, it could get even more annoying when a dealer or private individual won't sell you a gun that it's perfectly legal for you to buy because they don't understand what a Class B allows you to purchase and posess.

Friendly FYI, it could get even more annoying when a dealer or private individual won't sell you a gun that it's perfectly legal for you to buy because they don't understand what a Class B allows you to purchase and posess.

Or an FID......

Idea for Military People Getting LTCs

Just a thought to our Military folks (thanks for your Service) . . .

If the town isn't known to be "green", regardless of whether or not your chief requires written letters . . . I am hereby suggesting that you get and submit a letter of reference from someone in your Command Staff that knows you and can (and should) attest to your safety, level-headedness and trustworthiness carrying and using firearms.

Stewing on some of the posts by Military personnel who (in some cases) in spite of doing a tour in the Sandbox, come home and are given a LTC-B or restricted LTC-A . . . because the chief doesn't trust you with guns . . . on the face of it is absurd and insulting. However, this may just work for some of you and I figure that you have nothing to lose.

Good luck

Hello,

I'm about to apply for my LTC in Malden, Ma I was reading through the post and it seems that dialog about Malden stopped back in December. There was talk about a new regime was coming into play. Does anyone have any info on if there has been a change in Malden. Positive or Negative?

My fiance is just waiting for her final background check for Medford. They have a class A with restrictions there for first timers, unrestricted after. They probably want to see club membership or at least some time at a range.

After 6 months she had not heard anything, and finally gave them a call. They said "oops" and she got an appointment to come in the next day for the interview. Supposedly they are VERY busy with a lot of apps coming in recently.

Edit: Application was in September 09, policy was told to her in Feb, 2010.

Last edited:
My fiance is just waiting for her final background check for Medford. They have a class A with restrictions there for first timers, unrestricted after. They probably want to see club membership or at least some time at a range.

Just as a point of reference, I'm not sure how true that is...I just got my class A ALP in Medford as a first timer. I'm not sure who told you/her about that policy, but it wasn't the case for me

Just as a point of reference, I'm not sure how true that is...I just got my class A ALP in Medford as a first timer. I'm not sure who told you/her about that policy, but it wasn't the case for me

This is the first I've seen anyone say they got an A/ALP or A/None out of medford on a first time app. It's generally considered an anti town. Are you LE or know someone in the PD, or related to someone in the local government there? Usually the odd exceptions in red towns have connections.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom