Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first I've seen anyone say they got an A/ALP or A/None out of medford on a first time app. It's generally considered an anti town. Are you LE or know someone in the PD, or related to someone in the local government there? Usually the odd exceptions in red towns have connections.

-Mike

Nope, no connections at all. I did include a letter of explanation (as was recommended to me by a number of other NES members) in which I essentially stated that I understand the seriousness and responsibility that goes along with owning a firearm, and that the reason for my wanting the ALP was to ensure that I could maintain complete control of the firearm at all times during a journey (i.e. I wouldn't have to leave it locked in the trunk of an unattended car if I stopped to get lunch on my way home from the range.

If you CHOOSE not to do so, fine.

If you were told you CANNOT, that is false information.

Yeah, to be very clear, I choose not to, I am aware that it is legal to do so.

I'm also not saying that reasoning is why I was granted an ALP in Medford as a first time applicant, I'm just saying that I was granted an ALP, and i also happened to include a letter in my application packet that contained that reasoning (among other things)...maybe it's just a coincidence and I got lucky.

Yeah, to be very clear, I choose not to, I am aware that it is legal to do so.

I'm also not saying that reasoning is why I was granted an ALP in Medford as a first time applicant, I'm just saying that I was granted an ALP, and i also happened to include a letter in my application packet that contained that reasoning (among other things)...maybe it's just a coincidence and I got lucky.

And I think that including a well written letter wrt what you stated may well have made the difference in getting a non-restricted permit. COPs like to see "responsibility" and stating that you want to be MORE RESPONSIBLE than the law allows certainly has the possibility of working in your favor.

Good job.

Confirming what others have said about Sterling. Zero hassles, standard state form, nothing more. A-ALP. 8 weeks from application to license pickup.

First post in here, I would like to say I finally signed up for the class to get the card that I keep naming it wrong to purchase a firearm. I am just happy to see Taunton is green[grin]

So i got my license in the mail this week and i was very happy to see!
Class A
Restrictions: NONE
That's awesome I went in on March 9th and the interview consisted of the receptionist taking my info,digital fingerprints,digital photo and normal fingerprints and the Officer came over to her looked at paperwork he asked me a question and I didn't understand what he said so I asked him to repeat it and he seemed mad asking me why I wanted LTC ALP and then told her to put ALP and he walked away when I was leaving the station I said have a good day to them both and he just seemed mad... but i was told 4-6 weeks so still waiting but hearing you got No Restrictions gives me hope.. A buddy of mine went for his in Woburn and they made him and his wife take a 25 question quiz and supply references as well with paperwork and proceeded to state to them both they don't give out LTC's without restrictions.

I'm not sure... But I would like to think its turning around because when the officer asked me why I wanted it he just told the receptionist ALP and walked away. But Somerville once again is without a police chief so maybe that had something to do with it.

good luck man I was looking at mine and I got it in the mail on 4/3 but say was issued on 3/23 so was pretty fast

Yeah I think I am going to give them a call tomorrow. I am too damn impatient! At least I know that the CORI check is going through quick if you got yours so fast.

Hi all,

This may have been already rehashed here but a quick call to GOAL cleared up a few tense moments. If the CLEO chooses not to renew your permit for a class A unrestricted, they will issue a class A restricted, which means that those of us with high capacity guns will not have to sell them. There seems to be much conjecture over this situation and also a few wild rumors. I was told by the nice lady at GOAL that class B permits have largely become a thing of the past now and that the CLEOs are opting to go the class A restricted/unrestricted route instead.

Although not an ideal situation by any stretch of the imagination, this seems to be the lesser of two evils.

Looking for Rowley and Hamilton details

I know we've got a bunch residents of both here, and I was recently looking at that neck of the woods for a potential move. They also stand proud as (at the time I write this) two of only three towns in the state listed in black, though it sounds like Hamilton may be improving enough to at least switch to red.

Anyway, can anyone comment on their treatment of new residents and renewals? As Mass. goes it looks like a nice area to live, but... not that nice.

Thanks for any news! If I get more serious I'll talk to the relevant licensing authorities as well, but what they say up front often doesn't cover the whole of it.

I know we've got a bunch residents of both here, and I was recently looking at that neck of the woods for a potential move. They also stand proud as (at the time I write this) two of only three towns in the state listed in black, though it sounds like Hamilton may be improving enough to at least switch to red.

Anyway, can anyone comment on their treatment of new residents and renewals? As Mass. goes it looks like a nice area to live, but... not that nice.

Thanks for any news! If I get more serious I'll talk to the relevant licensing authorities as well, but what they say up front often doesn't cover the whole of it.

IMHO, any town that is black or is bad enough that people want to label as black is not worth looking at. Rowley does do LTCB for first timers still, and last I read it was a mixed bag on Hamilton.

Is Swansea and rehoboth a green town? Does anyone know[?].

WHICH?

They are two different towns.

Note that each is shown as GREEN on the list at the beginning of this thread.

As you would have seen had you looked.

Last edited:
I did see that in the begin BUT as you know living in Mass things change I'm buy a house not sure if it's going to be in Swansea or Rehoboth.
Thanks

So when I moved to Quincy in July I was given a Class A restricted. I just wrote a general letter to the chief of police with 2 references and I just got a phone call saying they are lifting the restrictions!!!
That makes me very happy!!

Any additional info on this???? They have been a RED TOWN in the past.

oh I know. I was very surprised to hear this, and my friend was excited. he went from planning on buying a fun gun to plink with to now be able to buy a gun to carry!

m&p9c was his choice a believe.

I believe Rowley was an " Issue LTC-B " for first time applicants. I don't know who handled the licensing but I do know that Chief Barry has just retired after 25 years or so and Bob Barker is the new Chief so there may be a change in policy.

Hamilton, from what I've read, is having some kind of turmoil within the department with EMT training fraud which could change the whole makeup of the department as I believe there are indictments pending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom