Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since nobody else answered this:

Anyone have a any recent experience in Newton?? I see Newton is red.

Note that I don't live there, but from what I've seen via a couple of people I know well: Newton is quite red, and while they do issue some unrestricted LTCs, it's an uphill battle. On the bright side, the licensing officer (Lt. Aucoin) isn't one of the ones who goes out of his way to be annoying; he's actually quite decent even when the rules he's enforcing aren't.

Check out the "Firearms Eligibility" link on newtonpolice.com for the current drill.

On the bright side, the licensing officer (Lt. Aucoin) isn't one of the ones who goes out of his way to be annoying; he's actually quite decent even when the rules he's enforcing aren't.

Really? The hearsay I'm getting from those with access to the MA LEO forum is that he vehemently defends his department's obstructionistic policies on them, arguing with those who have the temerity to suggest that simply following the statutory and regulatory requirements is the fair and intelligent course of action.

Having spoken to him once, years ago, I'm inclined to believe what I'm hearing now.

Based on my entirely limited anecdotal evidence, "yes, really." I heard most of both sides of a phone conversation between him and someone trying to get an unrestricted LTC from Newton, and while he was steadfast in obstinance he was at least calm and civil about it all.

Maybe he was having a good week, maybe he's on better behavior with Newton residents, or maybe they're both lodge brothers or something, but given Newton's reputation I was also surprised.

Since nobody else answered this:

Note that I don't live there, but from what I've seen via a couple of people I know well: Newton is quite red, and while they do issue some unrestricted LTCs, it's an uphill battle. On the bright side, the licensing officer (Lt. Aucoin) isn't one of the ones who goes out of his way to be annoying; he's actually quite decent even when the rules he's enforcing aren't.

Check out the "Firearms Eligibility" link on newtonpolice.com for the current drill.

Ouch. Thank you for the information. I am happy that I live where I live. Sounds like my co-worker is going to have a fun with this process.

Based on my entirely limited anecdotal evidence, "yes, really." I heard most of both sides of a phone conversation between him and someone trying to get an unrestricted LTC from Newton, and while he was steadfast in obstinance he was at least calm and civil about it all.

Maybe he was having a good week, maybe he's on better behavior with Newton residents, or maybe they're both lodge brothers or something, but given Newton's reputation I was also surprised.

So, the best you can say about the guy is that, in at least one instance, he was not offensive in denying someone's rights?

He sounds like a real Prince of a guy!

I spoke with Lt. Walsh last week, who works department policy issues with/for the chief, about the licensing policies being applied in Winchendon. I pointed out the inconsistencies in the way licensing is done, both in the policy itself and in the way the policy is applied, and referenced some of the guidance from Ron Glidden. The Lt. said he would look into the issue and get back to me.

I heard back from him today. He indicated that after discussing the issue with the chief they had decided that the firearms licensing policy for Winchendon is going to be changed to do away with the practice of issuing restricted licenses. I was told the new policy would be that if an applicant is not a prohibited person and here are no suitability issues then they will be issued an unrestricted license. If they are prohibited or unsuitable then no license will be issued. This would be a significant improvement to current policy and practice.
[banana] [dance][banana] [dance][banana] [dance][banana]

Don't change Winchendon to green or yellow, yet, until there is actual evidence that the policy has changed, but if the Lt is correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, Winchendon should be moving out of the red zone.

Small update on Winchendon. I asked the Lt. via the town manager, when the policy change would be official, and whether people who have restricted licenses now would be able to apply early for unrestricted licenses.

The answer to question one was that the Lt. had written up the policy and would be going over it with the Chief to get it signed "soon". He did not say exactly how soon "soon" was. My sense was that it would be a week or two, maybe 3.

The response to the second question was that it sounded reasonable. If people were willing to pay early then they would be allowed to apply for renewal early.

It was also mentioned that the licensing Sgt. was not happy with the change, but that it would be done regardless. It was not clear whether he would continue to handle the licensing.

NO NEED to pay for a change in restrictions. CHSB will re-issue with new/none restrictions at the PD's request with NO FEE required and no change in expiration date.

Of course . . . nothing prevents a PD from charging and/or renewing early (new expiration date).

NO NEED to pay for a change in restrictions. CHSB will re-issue with new/none restrictions at the PD's request with NO FEE required and no change in expiration date.

Of course . . . nothing prevents a PD from charging and/or renewing early (new expiration date).
Thank you for the info! I'll have to ask the question again differently.

Please keep us updated on this. I'm also wondering if they're still going to want a concealed carry course as part of getting an unrestricted.[thinking]

If so, I'm going to have to take another course in addition to the one that I already took.[sad]

I know there hasnt been any negative mention of haverhill here, but I figured I would say that I got my LTC A NR in less than 5 weeks. the licensing officer was very nice and seems to understand that abusing his position does no one any good. "if you apply for a class A, and have nothing to DQ you, you will get it."

Info for Northbridge?

Greetings All,

New to the board and moving to MA from VT (for job purposes.... talk about a different world for gun laws). I am moving to Northbridge and the list shows them green. Any feedback on getting a Class A - ALP (no restrictions)? I went through all 190-something pages and couldn't find any info on Northbridge other than its green...

Thanks,
G

1. BRING YOUR GUNS WITH YOU! That way, you will not have to register them.

2. BRING YOUR GUNS WITH YOU! See above.

3. File for your LTC/A as soon as you move in. Keep copies of all your app paperwork, get a copy of the MIRCS version before you leave the station and pay by check.

Scrivener,

Thanks for the advice, will do.

What is a MIRCS form? Is that their version of the MA application?

Does anyone else have specific info on Northbridge?

Thanks,
G

Scrivener,

Thanks for the advice, will do.

Thanks,
G

It's the application. If it is green, someone here got an ALP. In small towns out west, there may not be too many folks who live there and are on NES so it is slim pickings.

1. BRING YOUR GUNS WITH YOU! That way, you will not have to register them.

2. BRING YOUR GUNS WITH YOU! See above.

3. File for your LTC/A as soon as you move in. Keep copies of all your app paperwork, get a copy of the MIRCS version before you leave the station and pay by check.

Fantastic advice, especially #3.

Sort of. When you go to the police department to apply for your LTC, the police department will type your info into MIRCS (the Massachusetts Instant Record Check System). They punch all the data into the system, and they'll print out the typed application for you to sign. It's important to get a copy of it because of the laws regarding moving to MA with guns.

Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 129c(j) is the law covering new residents moving to MA with guns, and it says:

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

<snip>

(j) Any new resident moving into the commonwealth, any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any resident of the commonwealth upon being released from active service with any of the armed services of the United States with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such release, return or entry into the commonwealth;

In other words, from the day you move to MA, you have exactly 60 days to apply for and recieve a firearms license; at the end of 60 days you're subject to criminal charges for unlicensed possession. [thinking]

Now Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 131(e) says:

(e) Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms. In searching for any disqualifying history of the applicant, the colonel shall utilize, or cause to be utilized, files maintained by the department of probation and statewide and nationwide criminal justice, warrant and protection order information systems and files including, but not limited to, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The colonel shall inquire of the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is disqualified from being so licensed. If the information available to the colonel does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law, he shall certify such fact, in writing, to the licensing authority within said 30 day period.

The licensing authority may also make inquiries concerning the applicant to: (i) the executive director of the criminal history systems board relative to any disqualifying condition and records of purchases, sales, rentals, leases and transfers of weapons or ammunition concerning the applicant; (ii) the commissioner of probation relative to any record contained within the department of probation or the statewide domestic violence record keeping system concerning the applicant; and (iii) the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is a suitable person to possess firearms or is not a suitable person to possess firearms. The director or commissioner to whom the licensing authority makes such inquiry shall provide prompt and full cooperation for that purpose in any investigation of the applicant.

The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

You'll notice that legally they have 40 days from your date of application to issue you a license. In practice, many towns take 3-6 months to issue you a firearms license, which is illegal, but nothing is done about it in that backwards state.

So, in order to cover yourself, you need to apply for the license ASAP when you move to MA, and then keep copies of the MIRCS application and a voided check to show that you applied for the license. That way if it takes longer than 60 days for them to issue you a license, you'll have a defense to the criminal charges that you'd face if you were caught with those unlicensed guns & ammo in your home.

At least one member on here lives there, I sent him a PM with a link to this thread, if he feels up to the task we should be hearing from him shortly. [grin]

P.S. Do yourself a favor and do a considerable amount of reading in the Massachusetts Laws section of this forum. As a gun owner in MA you will be subject to dangerously confusing and vague laws, including "safe storage" laws, and other issues that aren't illegal or codified into law or policy anywhere in the state, but that could still get your LTC revoked. [shocked] After you've read all the sticky threads at the top of that forum and done a good amount of searching through there for answers to your legal questions, ask any questions that you still don't understand to make sure that all your ducks are in a row before you accidentally break a law.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. [grin]

Lotta good stuff here. I guess it might be a good idea to take the required gun safety class as soon as possible or even before moving here. Some cities and towns can drag getting that LTC out to you and it would help to be expediant.

I'm in Northbridge (actually moving, so if you need a house let me know, I'll give you a great deal, and would even leave my second floor safe behind for a buyer).

Unless you have a disqualifying charge against you, you will have no problem. Turn around IIRC was about 5 weeks. It's a "small town" police force that I've found to be very friendly with my dealings with them.

and, although I don't own one, I know a few guys in town that have been given class 3 licenses.

Welcome to town, and depending on when you come, look me up and I'll show you around the area.

Greetings All,

New to the board and moving to MA from VT (for job purposes.... talk about a different world for gun laws). I am moving to Northbridge and the list shows them green. Any feedback on getting a Class A - ALP (no restrictions)? I went through all 190-something pages and couldn't find any info on Northbridge other than its green...

Thanks,
G

Last edited:
Excellent... thanks to all for the great advice.

JoeT, we will be buying in 6-9 months time... not immediately. Once we get settled into the area we will start looking and decide at that point. It is good to hear first though that Northbridge is a pro 2nd amendment town.

I have already started reading the MA laws in detail... I am going to end up having a lot of questions. Before I start asking though (and using the knowledge base of the fine people on this site) I will be going green first :)

Again, thanks to all. It is strange going from VT (basically no gun laws) to MA (one of the most stringent in the country). But hey, the job opportunity is fantastic and I just can't say no to it.

G

Good news,and not so good news in Winchendon. Good news is that the new policy is now in effect. Not so good news is that they will not reissue existing licenses w/o restrictions. People can apply early for renewal, but it means giving up the remaining time on their current license. The reason given was not having the resources to spend in the station doing the reissues (I know, I know, don't shoot the messenger; it should take less time to reissue than to do a renewal, but I was not going to argue with the chief about this.)

I plan to apply for renewal a year early once it gets close to my birthday.

This is the last update I expect on the matter. I'm concerned I've worn out my welcome a bit. This time I called and left a message with the Lt. and it was the chief who called me back. He was not quite as pleasant as the Lt. to deal with. For example, he seemed a bit hung up on the idea of "need" relative to an unrestricted license and he did not know that carrying in a vehicle was considered concealed carry even if the gun was in plain sight.

Regardless, this is a big improvement.

Good news,and not so good news in Winchendon. Good news is that the new policy is now in effect. Not so good news is that they will not reissue existing licenses w/o restrictions. People can apply early for renewal, but it means giving up the remaining time on their current license. The reason given was not having the resources to spend in the station doing the reissues (I know, I know, don't shoot the messenger; it should take less time to reissue than to do a renewal, but I was not going to argue with the chief about this.)

I plan to apply for renewal a year early once it gets close to my birthday.

This is the last update I expect on the matter. I'm concerned I've worn out my welcome a bit. This time I called and left a message with the Lt. and it was the chief who called me back. He was not quite as pleasant as the Lt. to deal with. For example, he seemed a bit hung up on the idea of "need" relative to an unrestricted license and he did not know that carrying in a vehicle was considered concealed carry even if the gun was in plain sight.

Regardless, this is a big improvement.

They are doing nothing except using what leverage they can against a gun owner, the $100 permit fee.

Did you happen to find out if they are still requiring people to take a ccw course for an unrestricted LTC-A?[thinking]
I did not ask the question as I was not aware this was part of the policy. In fact it would not have made sense for it to be part of a policy that says "no unrestricted LTC-As." It sounds to me like it was something the Sgt. made up on the spot just for you.

My guess is that nothing additional like a separate CCW course will be required to get a license, except maybe still the written letters of reference. The sense I got in talking to the chief is that his main concern in changing the policy was consistency in both application and with the laws. I think the argument to be made if this comes up is to make clear that the course taken satisfies the lawful requirements for an LTC-A and that requiring another course goes beyond law and current practice in most towns. If there is still a question I would then suggest that they contact Chief Glidden. His opinion seemed to carry a great deal of weight with the chief. The only way to be certain is either to ask, or to apply.

I did not ask the question as I was not aware this was part of the policy. In fact it would not have made sense for it to be part of a policy that says "no unrestricted LTC-As." It sounds to me like it was something the Sgt. made up on the spot just for you.

I saw the "certified concealed carry course" requirement to even apply for an unrestricted LTC that Bill Katt is talking about with my own eyes, it was at the bottom of the cover sheet that they attached to the LTC/FID application. This was back in 2007 though.

Just an FYI for anyone applying in Newton. Newton PD requires a range test! Is this new or have they been doing this?

Does anyone have any new info on Waltham? They got a new chief last summer/fall and there will be a new issuing officer sometime before July.

Just an FYI for anyone applying in Newton. Newton PD requires a range test! Is this new or have they been doing this?

Is this a FIRST HAND information, or you just "heard" this. No disrespect intended, but I teach a lot of students in newton, nobody mentioned it as recent, as a month ago.

A co-worker of mine is going for his LTC and he was told that he would need to take a range test. I will let you know if he actually does when he goes for his appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom