Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filed for LTC/ALP in Quincy

In a casual conversation with one of Worcesters finest I asked what the likelihood of getting an LTC/ALP in Worcester would be. The response I got was "You probably want to move outside Worcester, it will greatly increase your chances." So I moved to Quincy and put in for my LTC this past friday! Now its just a wait and see.

I thought it was Natick based on conflicting stories......

People without connections or political pull have obtained LTC-A/unrestricted from Natick under the Mannix regime - not sure if there will be any changes under the new chief, but I have not heard any negative rubmlings from Natickites. Natick is, however, infested with politically correctness - wittness the furor over calling their sports team the "Redmen" (changed because some activists threatened to call the school committee racists if they did not conform to PC dogma).

I would like to say, for my first post on these forums, that Stoneham is and remains GREEN. Just picked up my license yesterday; it took 6 weeks from my application drop off and finger printing to receiving it. Besides the wait (which wasn't that bad looking back on it) the process was professional, painless and well handled by the Stoneham PD. The only extra requirement was a letter to the COP stating why you wanted your license, which i don't consider a big deal.

On a more personal note, i have been enjoying reading the threads here and look forward to participating in them now that I have my licenses in hand. The earlier thread about a person being denied for their posts here scared me from posting until after I got my license, but I wanted to make sure to update this thread with Stoneham's GREEN status.

Got my LTC-A unrestriced in Leicester a week or so ago. Process took 4 weeks to the day and was painless. My friend also got his from Spencer and his took a few days short of 4 weeks. The only difference between the two towns was that he had to file his application and then wait to schedule his printing whereas I had my prints done the same day.

I would like to say, for my first post on these forums, that Stoneham is and remains GREEN. Just picked up my license yesterday; it took 6 weeks from my application drop off and finger printing to receiving it. Besides the wait (which wasn't that bad looking back on it) the process was professional, painless and well handled by the Stoneham PD. The only extra requirement was a letter to the COP stating why you wanted your license, which i don't consider a big deal.

That's good to know. I may be moving to Stoneham from Ct. later this year.

... The earlier thread about a person being denied for their posts here scared me from posting until after I got my license, but I wanted to make sure to update this thread with Stoneham's GREEN status.

I felt that way while I was waiting for my Ct. permit. I was afraid anything negative would be held against me.

Andy

Has anyone had experience in Southboro getting an LTC class A ALP? Just submitted my application this week, no call or appointment for fingerprints yet and my $100 check hasn't been cashed either.
It's listed as GREEN but that list is a couple years old...

Last edited:
A relative just got his LTC in Westport. He applied just after his 21st birthday. It took about 4 weeks to arrive. Westport asks for a letter stating your reason for requesting the license, along with three reference letters. The whole interview process took about ten minutes. Result: LTC-A, restrictions: None. He is one happy camper. I would say Westport is definitely "green."

Anyone have a any recent experience in Newton?? I see Newton is red.

Any details on the process and the "gotchas" would be most helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone had experience in Southboro getting an LTC class A ALP? Just submitted my application this week, no call or appointment for fingerprints yet and my $100 check hasn't been cashed either.
It's listed as GREEN but that list is a couple years old...

My dad got his license under the old chief with no problem. I don't know about the (relatively) new one.

Potential Good News in Winchendon

I spoke with Lt. Walsh last week, who works department policy issues with/for the chief, about the licensing policies being applied in Winchendon. I pointed out the inconsistencies in the way licensing is done, both in the policy itself and in the way the policy is applied, and referenced some of the guidance from Ron Glidden. The Lt. said he would look into the issue and get back to me.

I heard back from him today. He indicated that after discussing the issue with the chief they had decided that the firearms licensing policy for Winchendon is going to be changed to do away with the practice of issuing restricted licenses. I was told the new policy would be that if an applicant is not a prohibited person and here are no suitability issues then they will be issued an unrestricted license. If they are prohibited or unsuitable then no license will be issued. This would be a significant improvement to current policy and practice.
[banana] [dance][banana] [dance][banana] [dance][banana]

Don't change Winchendon to green or yellow, yet, until there is actual evidence that the policy has changed, but if the Lt is correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, Winchendon should be moving out of the red zone.

I spoke with Lt. Walsh last week, who works department policy issues with/for the chief, about the licensing policies being applied in Winchendon. I pointed out the inconsistencies in the way licensing is done, both in the policy itself and in the way the policy is applied, and referenced some of the guidance from Ron Glidden. The Lt. said he would look into the issue and get back to me.

I heard back from him today. He indicated that after discussing the issue with the chief they had decided that the firearms licensing policy for Winchendon is going to be changed to do away with the practice of issuing restricted licenses. I was told the new policy would be that if an applicant is not a prohibited person and here are no suitability issues then they will be issued an unrestricted license. If they are prohibited or unsuitable then no license will be issued. This would be a significant improvement to current policy and practice.
[banana] [dance][banana] [dance][banana] [dance][banana]

Don't change Winchendon to green or yellow, yet, until there is actual evidence that the policy has changed, but if the Lt is correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, Winchendon should be moving out of the red zone.

OMFG!!! That's some of the best news that I've heard in a while! (Depending on what they will consider to be "unsuitable".[thinking]

Thanks for the good news Kevin![grin]

Excellent work - amazing that a PD adopting a fair and simple procedure should be big new, but it IS Massachusetts....

Reps for Kevin for the pro-active work.

I had a chief ask me recently why people don't talk with him or ask him questions. I told him that gun owners are scared to death of him and most of the chiefs/licensing officers. Sad but true!

Reps for Kevin for the pro-active work.

I had a chief ask me recently why people don't talk with him or ask him questions.

Was that the Sharon chief? The one who thinks he needs "doctor's letters," who interrogates applicants about memberships, storage, how much ammo they have and then puts all the answers in the PD computer? THAT chief?

Scriv, who said it isn't really relevant, it's the message that is important.

In the past few weeks I've talked with 3 chiefs and two other senior officers who handle licensing in a number of towns.

I've also advocated for a very long time that if one is THINKING of moving somewhere, they should go into the PD and ask to speak to the chief (or highest ranking officer present). You'd be surprised what you can learn (to avoid problems later) and you are also making yourself a "known quantity". This saved me from buying in a town with a "super fund site time-bomb" that they are sitting on, as well as from buying a parcel of land in a non-desirable area (again, environmental issues) in another town.

Likewise, if I have a question on policy, I'll do the same and walk in to talk with the chief to better understand what it is, what he's looking for, etc. You'd be surprised what you can learn in a non-adversarial environment.

Scriv, who said it isn't really relevant, it's the message that is important.

WHO said "it isn't really relevant?" For that matter, WHAT supposedly isn't relevant?

Not sure what point you're trying to make, as I simply asked if it was the Sharon chief who said people didn't talk to him?

I searched a couple times, but only found threads and posts dating back a couple years at the newest and was wondering if anyone heard anything or knows how to get around a physicians note for LTC-A in Andover MA. I am currently in between physicians and I dont know how a new one would react to me asking for the note, I was reading that technically they cant force the doctor note thing, but was just wondering if any one had any tips on how to ALP in Andover. Thanks

Scriv, you're being obtuse!

What I was attempting to say is that it does NOT matter (IMNSHO) who said it or what town they are from. The message is important and that message is that people are afraid to just go up to these officials and TALK WITH THEM in a non-confrontational way . . . so that the citizen might understand where said chief/licensing officer is coming from, what they expect . . . as well as obtain info about the town if that is a place you are contemplating as a new residence.

I don't think that a handful of "John Q. Citizens" even attempt to meet with their chief on a "non-required" basis in a year.

Or, one could simply check the PD's website for any reference to firearms licensing procedures and check here.

Which is NOT to say that actually going in and asking is A Bad Thing - it isn't.

Some municipal websites are very static, with terribly old info that is not updated and Email addresses that don't work.

I found that out the hard way by Emailing some LEOs that I know with important info and they never received it, plus told me that the web addresses listed "never worked". As for info: How many still list LTC/FIDs as only good for 4 years, FID-restricted still costing $100, telling you to bring pictures, etc.?

Nothing substitutes for sitting down FTF, plus you can ask actual questions and not rely only on sparse info on websites. BTW, I was also recommending doing this to find out general and specific town info not just for LTCs.

WHO said "it isn't really relevant?" For that matter, WHAT supposedly isn't relevant?

Not sure what point you're trying to make, as I simply asked if it was the Sharon chief who said people didn't talk to him?
umm, the answer was in the part you of Lens' post you quoted.....

Oops, forgot to post here. Thanks for all the info, Fiance and I both got our LTC-A with no restrictions in Milford. Hers came in exactly 4 weeks from application drop off, mine 4 weeks and 2 days. MPD was great, officer was very helpful and friendly, no issues whatsoever with the process.

Milford has a good reputation.

Note the 4-week time period - while other towns are jerking applicants off for triple that period and more, while claiming 'it's the state."

Milford has a good reputation.

Note the 4-week time period - while other towns are jerking applicants off for triple that period and more, while claiming 'it's the state."

Much better than that. The Chief is a true 2A advocate!! He's someone I'd invite to the range with me if I lived near him.

Just got my LTC-A NR in Groton. Application was entered and filed on-line by the licensing official; process was simple with no issues - everyone was courteous and friendly. Took six weeks from date of application to receipt of license (got the call on my birthday so that was an unexpected gift)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom