• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience and the few people I know with them, Belchertown is green for the last 10 years or so wrt Class A - ALP. Glad I found this Forum. Good people here.

Lee

Last edited:
SEEKONK?

Hi guys, new guy here. I am going to the police station this week to apply in Seekonk.
I see that on the list my town of Seekonk is RED. Anyone have any recent info?
I mostly care about hunting and target. Ive been bow hunting for a couple of years and now I want to use shotgun and ML. (Turkeys are tough with an arrow.[thinking] ) So I took the firearm/General hunting course in RI (closer for me). So now I guess all I need to do is fork over 100.00 to the Commonwealth and get.......fingerprinted. Geeeez.
I would also like to thank a friend on this forum who mentioned this site to me. Lots of great info.

Thanks for any input,[smile]
Tom

I mostly care about hunting and target. Ive been bow hunting for a couple of years and now I want to use shotgun and ML.
A pump shotgun and muzzle loader are covered by an FID. The FID is shall issue.
So I took the firearm/General hunting course in RI
I don't know what course you are referring to. The only courses that are sufficient for an FID or LTC are those that are certified by the MA State Police and taught by an instructor certified by the MA State Police.

The list of approved courses is here:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...oved_basic_firearms_safety_courses&csid=Eeops
The typical hunter safety class is not sufficient.

found this

When I moved to this state last year , I had found this, and my instructor in RI told me that the RI course qualifies. Maybe I was given wrong information?

Chapter 140: Section 131P. Basic firearms safety certificate; instructors

Section 131P. (a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section;

Thanks

When I moved to this state last year , I had found this, and my instructor in RI told me that the RI course qualifies. Maybe I was given wrong information?

Chapter 140: Section 131P. Basic firearms safety certificate; instructors

Section 131P. (a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section;

Thanks

As a MA resident, you have to have a MA State Police Basic Firearms Safety certificate. Your RI instructor perhaps could have issued one to you, as non-resident instructors can be certified to teach a MA approved course so long as they present sufficient credentials and agree to teach the MA items required by state regulations.

I suggest a phone call to your insturctor would be a very good idea.

Darius Arbabi

Hudson

+1. Guess there must be a new COP in Hudson! Either that, or Mike knows someone. [wink]

I'm thinking something changed. I've lived here 20 years, but I'd never meet anyone on the force until the day I applied for my LTC. When I said I wanted ALP during the interview the Lt. had me read a short paper which basically said if you were carring to keep it conceled such that they don't get lots of calls about someone brandishing a gun. I was still a little surprised when it came back with no restrictions based on what I had seen on the web.

/Mike

I wish there was a yellow, because in spite of the first time applicant policy of only issuing neutered licenses, the sergeant in charge of licensing is a great guy and the chief said that in a couple years I could probably have restrictions removed upon request. But, the system being what it is, I'd say Groveland is Red.

I wish there was a yellow, because in spite of the first time applicant policy of only issuing neutered licenses, the sergeant in charge of licensing is a great guy and the chief said that in a couple years I could probably have restrictions removed upon request. But, the system being what it is, I'd say Groveland is Red.

Yellow is more like "had to jump through a small extra hoop to get
ALP" not "we don't trust you, so we'll deprive you of rights for several
years".

-Mike

Why arrests? If you are not convicted...

I think the OP must have been referring the the question on the standard MA LTC/FID application that asks if you've ever appeared in court as a defendant in a criminal matter.

Most arrests usually result in at least once court appearance, unless you're really, really lucky!

Blackstone

I noticed that Blackstone is in the red but didn't see any posts from anyone stating if it is/isn't.

Edit: Blackstone is not red.

Last edited:
I noticed that Blackstone is in the red but didn't see any posts from anyone stating if it is/isn't.

Edit: Blackstone is not red.

Blackstone has not been mentioned yet. It is still TBD. Do you have any info about it? As a prior resident of Bellingham, I heard rumors that the issuing officer of Blackstone goes to applicants houses to make sure that the guns will be properly secured, but this is just a rumor I heard. I have never seen any facts to back it up.

Blackstone has not been mentioned yet. It is still TBD. Do you have any info about it? As a prior resident of Bellingham, I heard rumors that the issuing officer of Blackstone goes to applicants houses to make sure that the guns will be properly secured, but this is just a rumor I heard. I have never seen any facts to back it up.

No info at this time. I will be sure to let everyone know how my experience goes.

Norwell = Green Never seen a Class B issued almost all are LTC A ALP from previous and new chief.
FYI Hanover has a no discharge of a firearm bylaw those interested in moving there

Last edited:
Bolton is yellow, not green, just because it took so long and required so much follow up on my part. I applied as a first time applicant on 11/22/2006 and just received confirmation by phone today, 3/26/2007, from the CHSB that my LTC-A/ALP has been approved so I should see it in a week or two (and have another reminder in my calendar to call again if I don't get a call from the PD). The process was slow - my application sat collecting dust a few times along the way and many phone calls were required to move it along. PD seems pro gun - I went in looking for a FID and they told me they would issue LTC-A/ALP - and they are all nice guys but they must be understaffed because I'm honestly surprised at how long this took.

LTC/ALP is obsolete - the new "good license" is LTC/NR - LTC, No Restrictions.
"All lawful purposes" was changed to "none" some time after the wording "Reason for issuance" was changed to "Restriction" on the license (thanks GOAL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom