• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good news or bad from a public school?

My 5 year old came home yesterday with a coloring book. It was an "Eddie Eagle" book from the NRA about kids finding a gun in an attic. The fact that a public school was handing out NRA materials was encouraging, but cynicism has me wondering if I should be happy about it.

I would be happy knowing that they are teaching kids what to do if they find a gun. The alternative of "hey, wanna see my daddy's gun.....bang" is a scary thing.

A couple years ago I went to a school and made the suggestion of having some common sense lecture on what kids should do if they find a gun. I was immediately shot down and told that they will not do that as there is a zero tolerance policy and they would not discuss guns in any classroom

See? Now after my cynicism, kiver (nice of you to offer at the school, by the way) goes and shows the opposite of what happened here and it looks completely whack-a-doodle-doo. There is a zero tolerance on even TALKING about guns, so the kids (if they have moron parents who don't educate them themselves) are on their own in the presence of a found firearm. Put that way, I'm now a happy boy . Too bad the school system doesn't have a zero tolerance policy for pie in the eye utopian ding-battism.

I've donated the Eddie The Eagle program books to all the schools my kids have been in in Boston - two Parochial, three public elementary and one private.

No one has ever turned them down or said anything other than "thanks."

A lot of people here would much rather bitch about their awful lives than join GOAL and join the fight.

Thats awesome!

The fact the teacher is even handing out something with an NRA logo on it is amazing in this state, and she hasn't gotten fired or made the news for it.

The NRA probably sent the books free and a public school in MA, no matter how left wing nutbag conservative it is, can't pass up a freebie. they are so used to govt. freebies they just hand out anything free to the kids.

A gun owner in MA probably donated the books free and a public school in MA, no matter how left wing nutbag conservative it is, can't pass up a freebie. they are so used to govt. freebies they just hand out anything free to the kids.
FFY

The NRA doesn't air-drop materials to schools: someone has to request them.

Call up the program office and ask them about getting free materials. There is a way to do it, involving a grant, and there is a grant budget for each state. Not sure what the NRA fiscal year is. You can also donate to support the grant program specifically.

Given that the Program guide is $5, the teacher's guide $2.50, and 25 student workbooks are $5.00, you can buy enough materials for an entire grade at one of the largest public schools in Boston for less than $50.

Eddie the Eagle program materials

Or, you can make up stupid bullshit excuses about why this is bad and why you haven't done anything except bitch. Like most of the people here.

Last edited:
I just asked my 8yo "What would you do if you saw a gun lying in the street?" He said "Leave the area and tell an adult." Close.

Stop, don't touch, leave the area, call an adult....

As I said, I am happy. My kids know what to do anyway, but the reinforcement helps. It just dropped out of the blue it showed up in a town that isn't as "green" as I'd like it. So...not bitching, just...cautious.

I think it is great. Just noticed that you are from Weymouth, I'm glad that they are making the kids aware in my town's school system.

You know what? I'm feeling like a dope for being worried at all. It is a great pre-school (the Johnson) and all my kids came out of there ready to go.
I guess the public relations police officer was there, as well. Plus, she hasn't put the damn thing down since she got it!

You know what? I'm feeling like a dope for being worried at all. It is a great pre-school (the Johnson) and all my kids came out of there ready to go.
I guess the public relations police officer was there, as well. Plus, she hasn't put the damn thing down since she got it!

Don't worry, no harm no foul. Not to hijack the thread with a question that I think I already know the answer to but, did you get Restricted to Hunting and Target? I just applied a week ago and expect that, but I do have to say that everyone at the police department were very friendly and easy to work with.

It's such a good program, some lame ass yuppy lib parent will bitch that her kid came home with something from the NRA. Just you watch.

my dad teached me bout guns long before the scoolz done...... No really I cant believe even with all the BS going on that its not a Mandate that they at least drill into kids to leave guns alone. To this day my dad never says anthing about guns until after his "you no they are not toys" My daughter is just turning 4. Shes aware of guns, she asks questions. She likes to see my pellet gun targets after I shoot. She will also confirm hits for me on the little mini spinners. She shows little interest as far as touchy feely I want to try. I can only pray when she goes off to school they have at least gun safety awareness of some sort. Heck do they even have fire drills anymore?

I can see this being a good idea in general. However, if I wanted to do it in one class, they would then maybe like to do it for all classes in the school. This would snowball into all schools. At that point, the police department's school liason officer would be asked to weigh in. Just guessing here.

I guess the flip side to that is to buy and bring in the materials for one class, and handle it directly with the teacher. If that works, then take it to the next levels. I did an Eddie Eagle thing many years ago at a "Public Safety Day". Subsequent years, they had the prison system people do the same program with "Doc Owl" or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom