Going to live alone in the Yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like quite a trip holyroller! If I wore a hat I would take it off for you...let's see, what else do I have (or don't have)? [wink] [laugh]

Have a great trip!!

I know, I know....pics...[rofl]

There are armored slugs available, which I think would be useful for many situations

Living in the gentrified section of roxbury doesn't give you "street cred"

if it wasn't mission hill, i'm not impressed.

the two legged animals are pretty zombie'ish in roxbury, though. I do tip my hat to you.

If you are limited by Canadian law to a shotgun I would bring plenty of slug, 00-buck and 000-buck and a shot gun with an extended feed tube if possible. i'd also give serious consideration to bringing in a S&W 686 which will shoot .357 mag very nicely.

i'm being hired to protect a ranch that has been ransacked when left vacant the past three years. those guys will probably be excited to do it again.

Given this bit of info I would have to re-evaluate. One gun would not be enough!

i agree with you. but, i just had a friend try to take a handgun in and get it confiscated.

Living in the gentrified section of roxbury doesn't give you "street cred"

if it wasn't mission hill, i'm not impressed.

the two legged animals are pretty zombie'ish in roxbury, though. I do tip my hat to you.

Sure sounds like you know what your talking about buddy [rolleyes]. What makes you so tough? You don't sound like you have spent to much time in the woods for someone who is pulling a Dick Proenneke.

Just rack in the shell and that will get their attention big time. It has always worked for me!

I can't speak for 100%, but I'd bet 99% of people who teach tactical shotgun would disagree with that thought...Racking the slide to intimidate would be intruders does 2 things in my opinion: (1) take time that should be spent covering your 6 and (2) give away your position. My defense gun anyway is always in C1....

Seeing as you are going to need more protection equipment than hunting equipment, I would personally stick to the 12ga. It is more versatile than a rifle, and a 3" slug is good bear medicine unless it is a monster grizzly. Unless you have the ability to bring a second gun, bring the 12ga. A shotgun is easier to get off a second shot than with a bolt gun. It is ultimately it is your decision, and I feel you made a good one in the 12ga, though I have never shot a grizzly. I have seen plenty of large game taken with a shotgun, enough that I would feel completely confident in it for the purpose you have stated.

First, congrats and good luck. What a great gun gig to get. (Pardon the alliteration) [grin]

You've been given a tough set of conditions...a security assigment with a known history of prior criminal activity with no backup and severe limitations on personal defense... "Oy" doesn't quite cover it.

Great advice from people on ammunition. I would want slugs too.

Can I assume you'll have at least a 30 shell bandoleer always on you, Pancho Villa style? No need to spend a lot of money on one, Dick's sells them cheaply. A Side-Saddle or butt-stock slip-on holder with six extra shells would probably be a good idea too. No running back to re-supply if you're caught alone outside and separated from the house. Six or eight shells in the tube would disappear plenty fast I would imagine in a real world encounter.

What are you doing for a white light? Do funds allow for a Surefire forearm upgrade for the 870? (Or similar shotgun-proof white light). At least you could maybe write it off as a business expense! When in doubt, there's always duct tape and a D-Cell Maglight.

I hope they have satellite t.v. or a good library!

Either way, good luck.

Steve

if you feel shotguns are okay then make it 2 shotguns. don't trust your life to any 1 item.

24 hours of daylight. just enough to make me go mad. So i'm taking the light system off the gun.

The owner is leaving me with a gun or two to use.

Currently i've been shooting "at panic speed" with 2 3/4 00 buck. But I think I may stager 00 then a slug repeat

i have an extended tube. 6 plus one in the chanber.

the bandoleer is a great idea. i just had thoughts of hearing a click, and trying to run back in the cabin.

I saw a magazine in the bookstore the other day that had an article that showed you how to make your own bandoleer. It basically consisted of making the belt, punch out holes for sewing the loop pieces on, then get a piece of leather and draw out your little loop pieces. Then use a punch and punch slits/holes for sewing. Then cut out the loop pieces, sew them in place. It mentioned rolling the belt up with the loops outwards so they would stretch a bit in the right way. It looked pretty easy to do anyways.

This could be handy;
CA237.jpg

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3414.html

Can folks chill a bit and get a freakin' sense of humor. This is getting so un-NES-like.

Yeah...and then one of the Mods or Derek will have to come in and start deleting comments and it gets just sooooooo irritating when ya have to do that because we've got hundreds more posts to read. We don't have the luxury of all you guys who can just IGNORE A POST that IRRITATES YOU.

Ahem... back to the ammo discussion.... and have a wonderful time in the Yukon dear - I'm jealous.

Mother

What's a warning shot?

I'll go with, "GTFO or I'll separate your top half from your lower." as a good enough warning. [smile]

holyroler - Have fun, good luck, and report back in 50 days. I hope you're going to be keeping some kind of journal that you can share here.

Just rack in the shell and that will get their attention big time. It has always worked for me!

That is my definition of "warning shot".
When the charging at me closes inside of 50 feet, my personal criteria for being in "imminent danger of being killed" will have been met.
At which time [mg] becomes a viable option.

24 hours of daylight. just enough to make me go mad. So i'm taking the light system off the gun.

The owner is leaving me with a gun or two to use.

Currently i've been shooting "at panic speed" with 2 3/4 00 buck. But I think I may stager 00 then a slug repeat

i have an extended tube. 6 plus one in the chanber.

the bandoleer is a great idea. i just had thoughts of hearing a click, and trying to run back in the cabin.

Sounds like you've got yer chit in one sock with no holes.

Motion for no warning shot seconded, er thirded... [thinking]

As for the "Panic shooting"; pratice makes perfect as they say.

Motion for bandolier seconded, no such thing as too much ammo.

As far as the ten dogs for company, that's what I'd prefer over people - with the possible exception of some folks here.

holyroller, I envy you. This sounds like quite the adventure. I was stationed in Alaska during the '70's, out in the Aleutians. Wish I coulda spent more time on the mainland.

Motion for the camera also seconded. Now there's a video / book I'd buy.

If you can, keep us in the loop or at least give us an AAR when you get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom