Going to live alone in the Yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm being hired to protect a ranch that has been ransacked when left vacant the past three years. those guys will probably be excited to do it again.
[rolleyes]

So, you're going to protect a large ranch that is a vandal/robber target smack in the middle of remote grizzly country, for 2 months, by yourself, and you're bringing a single shotgun?

Very Clint Eastwood of you! I tip my hat and wish you well! Keep a journal, then if you get killed by a griz or a meth-head they can make a movie about you posthumously! [wink]

Are there any other job openings like this that you are aware of? Hows the pay? If shit hits the fan out there, you might not even need to worry about a retirement plan....

I shot some 00 buck once at a 50 yard target (20" barrel, no choke). Despite the spread, I'd say each round will put at least 2-3 pellets on a man-sized target. Many pellets penetrated the 1x2 wood frame, one pellet got stuck near the other side and a buddy of mine took it out as souvenir. So I figured 50 yards is probably the edge of the effective range and I wouldn't want to hit by a 00 pellet even at that range.

Oct. 17, 2008 010.jpg I would just put one of these on the sled when necessary. The dogs will feel safer as well.

Definitely bring slugs! IMO, buckshot is garbage. I lost a wounded deer using buckshot and have never lost anything with slugs. Slugs kill things dead..right NOW dead. Anything else is unacceptable. If you miss, fire again. You should have 5~6 shots with an 870. That is some serious firepower for anything. A chokeless(cylinder bore) shotgun barrel is for slugs.

Bring a handheld spotlight and inform them 1st that if they come in you will fire. I would altinate 00 and slugs, just in case it is a bear.

Meth heads

you should keep one meth head with you as a campside pet, then if a bear wonders in shoot the meth head in the leg and run. this takes care of all issues with accuracy and the like plus you don't have to outrun the bear just the meth head.

if you feel shotguns are okay then make it 2 shotguns. don't trust your life to any 1 item.

+1
One with buck to stop the zombies and feed the bears.
One with slugs to put the bears out of their misery if cornered and being eaten by the zombies [wink]

Meth heads in the Yukon ? [rofl]

Yukon meth heads are the worst! A very virulent sort, not quite as bad as southern Mississippi meth heads, but close. The only thing worse than a Yukon meth head is a Finlandian Free baser- they smoke it naked in the sauna- not pretty, not pretty at all.... [shocked]

Yukon meth heads are the worst! A very virulent sort, not quite as bad as southern Mississippi meth heads, but close. The only thing worse than a Yukon meth head is a Finlandian Free baser- they smoke it naked in the sauna- not pretty, not pretty at all.... [shocked]

And don't overlook the danger of those Klondike Crackheads:

gold.jpg

The sneak up on you.

It's the body hair dontcha know.

Is there a limit on the number of guns or amount of ammo you can bring in? I know it's hard to come by today, but stock up on as much ammo as is humanly possible. That far out in the woods alone, defending against something like that, you may well need more bullets than you can find.

Can you bring a friend with their guns too?

Blackhawk makes a 55 shotshell bandolier, they're pretty cheap too. Bring two if you can.

Where does one find these slugs? I am curious and would like to try some if you have a link or know where they can be found. Thanks!

Me too. Source?

I would bring a camera and lots and lots of memory. If you catalog everything that happens you could spin it into a website with (money-making) ads, or even a book. Or take videos and make it into a documentary or something. I know I would visit a site that detailed a person's 50 day trip to the Yukon, with only the dogs for company- NEAT-O-

Sounds like a fun trip!

Rember Dick Prenike (sp?) Lived up there for something like 40 years. Saw his story on PBS, god that was cool.

i'm being hired to protect a ranch that has been ransacked when left vacant the past three years. those guys will probably be excited to do it again.

[rolleyes]

Why would you voluntarily go and stay in a remote place that you pretty much know will be ransacked? I'm no expert but that sounds like an insanely stupid idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom