Going to live alone in the Yukon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be leaving next tuesday for 50 days in the woods alone with only a pack of 10 sled dogs to live with.

I'm taking a 12g with 00buck to protect me from rogue bears and pesky meth-heads.

Here's my question. I'm taking an 870 express, chokeless. The gun, especially with the 00 buck, isn't accurate worth a damn out past 50 feet.

My concern is when I give the meth-head coming up the driveway his/her "warning shot", the chance of hitting them cus the spray is so great. Shoot towards ground? Shoot way right? Get a longer barrelled gun?

Thoughts about the trip in general?

Looking forward to the responses.

I'm going to be leaving next tuesday for 50 days in the woods alone with only a pack of 10 sled dogs to live with.

I'm taking a 12g with 00buck to protect me from rogue bears and pesky meth-heads.

Here's my question. I'm taking an 870 express, chokeless. The gun, especially with the 00 buck, isn't accurate worth a damn out past 50 feet.

My concern is when I give the meth-head coming up the driveway his/her "warning shot", the chance of hitting them cus the spray is so great. Shoot towards ground? Shoot way right? Get a longer barrelled gun?

Thoughts about the trip in general?

Looking forward to the responses.

No warning shots. You're going to waste a round and risk not knowing the target and what is beyond it. Any meth head that aint afraid of the sight of an 870 pointed at them, aint gonna be afraid of the sound of one either.

The shotgun pointed at them is enough of a warning, if you were generous give them a few seconds delay and if they continue at you, you will have to make the shot.

Just rack in the shell and that will get their attention big time. It has always worked for me!

May I suggest a mix of 00 and slugs, say 70-30 or 80-20. That should give you an option with a bit bigger punch and longer range if you need it.

Sounds like this may be an interesting experience. Will there be enough snow to run the sled this time of year?

As far as your question...no warning shots. You tell them to stop and if they don't...well...

Also, stock up on some magnum slugs. [smile]

My concern is when I give the meth-head coming up the driveway his/her "warning shot"

Wow.. You know it's a bad area when even the polar bears are hooked on meth!!!

Alone in the woods up there, I'd be a lot more concerned with critters than the 2 legged varmints. I would think that dogs (and you) probably look really tasty to a hungry bear.

I would think traveling a lot, I'd want the most compact, lightest thing I could have that I would have with/ on me always..

in czarist Canada only hunting long guns are allowed.

shoot something with a "target only handgun" (the only allowed pistols) and they will bag you pretty good.

duddly doolittle coming over the mountain ridge.

Don%27t%20feed%20the%20troll.jpg

I would bring a camera and lots and lots of memory. If you catalog everything that happens you could spin it into a website with (money-making) ads, or even a book. Or take videos and make it into a documentary or something. I know I would visit a site that detailed a person's 50 day trip to the Yukon, with only the dogs for company- NEAT-O-

Sounds like a fun trip!

What is with these bear shooting threads. In 2007 & 2008 there were a total of 6 bear realated fatalites. I think you have a better chance of f***ing Christy Brinkley then getting attacked by a bear.

Take your skirt off

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Bring slugs regardless. 00 buck is not the best for stopping a rogue bear. I would bring slugs, 000 buck, 00 buck and some birdshot. You are going into dangerous territory and don't want to be under-gunned. I would also consider a side-arm, it better to deal with prosecution than death. You are not "hunting" if you use a pistol for self-defense. A charging bear is likely going to be able to run quite a distance after being hit with buckshot. A slug has a lot of brute stopping power, and I would want at least the first shot to be a slug, followed by 2-00 buck and 2-000 buck. Don't trust your safety on 00 buck. Do some research and you will see it is marginally effective on bear sized game at best. 00 buck will not likely break bone, and even if it does won't penetrate much farther anyway. 3" magnum slugs will penetrate almost any animal on the planet, and will be far more effective at stopping a bear. I have seen deer run for over a mile after being hit with multiple shots of 00 buck, as 20+ pellets were recovered during butchering. They spread too much to ensure multiple hits on vital organs. Be safe rather than sorry.

Hope you enjoy your trip, I have dreamed of such an adventure for years. Please tell us all about it when you return, and take lots of pictures! You are a lucky man to be able to take on such an adventure. Good luck and stay safe! Talk to you in a couple months!

BTW: Do you have room for one more![smile]

skirt

what have you done that even compares to this?

troll? nope.

70% of bears in western canada live in and around whitehorse yukon, my area.

i'm being hired to protect a ranch that has been ransacked when left vacant the past three years. those guys will probably be excited to do it again.

no snow or dog sleding in the summer, you dope. They're retired Iditarod dogs that are being left while their younger counterparts are running the glaciers in ak.

[rolleyes]

I would doubt buckshot would go through a bear's thick hide, nevermind cause a fatal injury. It would make him/her very angry though!

holyroler knows which way the bullets come out

Default skirt
what have you done that even compares to this?

troll? nope.

70% of bears in western canada live in and around whitehorse yukon, my area.

i'm being hired to protect a ranch that has been ransacked when left vacant the past three years. those guys will probably be excited to do it again.

no snow or dog sleding in the summer, you dope. They're retired Iditarod dogs that are being left while their younger counterparts are running the glaciers in ak.

[rofl]

Don't listen to the nay-sayer's. I understand the danger and you are just in your thinking. I would want bear protection, as well as human in such a remote place. Bring lots of ammo and lots of film/memory cards. Take lots of pics and have lots of fun. I envy your ability to have such a trip. Go have fun and enjoy the Yukon.

Well, now we know why you're worried about meth-heads. No warning shots; you don't have enough magazine capacity to waste. If you're in fear of your life, shoot to live. (which requires killing said meth-heads).

For bear, may I recommend something like an M1 or even more powerful?

that's why i open carry naked while doing yard work. situationally aware, and prepared for both..[smile]
[rofl] [rofl2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom