• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going to be moving, will my LTC-A be in danger?

I'm currently a college senior, and will be graduating in May. I was issued a Class A LTC by my home town of Millis (great people by the way, no difficulty getting with no restrictions). However, if I get a job in Boston after I graduate I will probably be getting an apartment closer to the city, somewhere like Chestnut Hill. I know Newton is listed as unfriendly when issuing permits, but will they be just as difficult when I try to renew it?

Having an LTC issued by another town will not help you Newton . In addition to an approved training course certificate, proof of citizenship, two letters of recommendation, you as a out-of-town renewal will be required to get a letter from you existing chief stating that there have been no problems.

Unless you can 'justify' a need for ALP your license will be restricted.

If there is any substantive difference between the abusive procedures of Newton and Brookline, I am not aware of it.

Have they ever given a justification for being so difficult? Do they just not trust the judgement of other jurisdictions or something? The fact that renewal is subject to the same scrutiny as the original license bothers me...you shouldn't have anything changed or the license revoked unless you've actually done something that merits it.

And in terms of justifying a need for an LTC, are there any answers that usually work? Not that I should have to justify wanting to exercise my constitutional rights, but seeing as how Massachusetts allows chiefs of police to stomp on my rights I guess I have to...

Last edited:
Matt,
Dedham is on the border to Boston and the Chief issues unrestricted if you qualify. He is a great guy to deal with as is the firearms officer. Down side is the rent can be pricy.

Have they ever given a justification for being so difficult? Do they just not trust the judgement of other jurisdictions or something? The fact that renewal is subject to the same scrutiny as the original license bothers me...you shouldn't have anything changed or the license revoked unless you've actually done something that merits it.

And in terms of justifying a need for an LTC, are there any answers that usually work? Not that I should have to justify wanting to exercise my constitutional rights, but seeing as how Massachusetts allows chiefs of police to stomp on my rights I guess I have to...

According to the Newton LTC handout (yes, there's a handout!) there are precisely three answers that work:

1. Law enforcement
2. Private investigator/security personnel - a letter must be submitted from your employer...
3. Personnel responsible for transporting large sums of money... - a letter must be submitted from your employer...

It's pretty much the EXACT opposite of the 2A and the notion that the government and the people are equal.

Is that even constitutional? Somehow I feel like saying you have to have a job requiring a gun to own a gun is a gross violation of the 2nd amendment. Has Massachusetts/any town in the state ever been sued over these practices?

Why don't you just keep your legel residence in Millis? Nothing says you can't have a second residence in another Massachusetts town such as Newton.

You could also move to New Hampshire or a GREEN Massachusetts town and commute to Boston. Out of state Mass permits ar easy to get.

You are going to have to make an adult choice and decide if it is more important to keep your gun rights or live in a "happening" place for a 22 year old starting their career and go clubbing or whatever 22 year olds think is fun.

You have a car don't you? Just because you work there doesn't mean you have to live in the shithole.

Is that even constitutional? Somehow I feel like saying you have to have a job requiring a gun to own a gun is a gross violation of the 2nd amendment. Has Massachusetts/any town in the state ever been sued over these practices?

Even requiring the permit in the first place is unconstitutional but that argument will fall on deaf ears.

You can't change the system by yourself so work within it. You know where the green towns are. Make your choice.

There's no such thing as "dual-residency". Your residence is in one state and in Mass. one city or town. I'm not sure which laws apply for LTC residency but there are many laws and policy that apply to residency. You can't just 'declare' residency in one town and live in another.

So, this is the part where I ask if you've joined www.goal.org or the NRA?

nothing about mass gun law is constitutional. Unfortunatley no one has stepped up with the hundreds of thousands of dollars it would take to fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. we need a revolution in MA if we want our rights back.

Matt,
Dedham is on the border to Boston and the Chief issues unrestricted if you qualify. He is a great guy to deal with as is the firearms officer.

Really?

As of November, 2007, your "great guy to deal" was demanding the following from LTC applicants:

1. An unauthorized “Conditional Advisory Notice”

2. An unauthorized “Acknowledgement [sic] of Limits On The Use Of Deadly Force;”

3. An unauthorized and untitled “questions” form; and

4. The unlawful "re-certification" in violation of 140, s. 131P.

There is nothing stopping someone from owning or renting more than one residence in Massachusetts. If you have two, pick one to use as a legal residence.

You can own or rent as many places as you like but for the most part you have to reside (physically occupy) your residence in order to be a resident.

There's no such thing as "dual-residency". Your residence is in one state and in Mass. one city or town. I'm not sure which laws apply for LTC residency but there are many laws and policy that apply to residency. You can't just 'declare' residency in one town and live in another.

So, this is the part where I ask if you've joined www.goal.org or the NRA?

Funny - that never stopped me from doing it. When I was younger I moved every year or so. There was one period where I got tired of the constant changing of addresses and just had everything stay at my father's house for a few years. This never prevented me from renting an apartment in another town.

Entirely aside from the gun permit issues this might be something you want to think about. At 22 you may find yourself moving quite a bit. Having your car insured in another town (Millis rates are probably cheaper than either Newton or any other town inside 128), keeping your legal address in Millis, etc. - may just be easier than changing everything up every time you move. There is the drawback of having to go back and get your mail at the Millis address (be careful what you change - you want to have it look like you legally still live in Millis) - but if it is your parent's house - and you go back to visit them frequently anyway - this shouldn't be a big deal.

I would be careful about storing too many firearms at the apartment though - if you leave your address as Millis.

Just an idea........

Funny - that never stopped me from doing it. When I was younger I moved every year or so. There was one period where I got tired of the constant changing of addresses and just had everything stay at my father's house for a few years. This never prevented me from renting an apartment in another town.

Entirely aside from the gun permit issues this might be something you want to think about. At 22 you may find yourself moving quite a bit. Having your car insured in another town (Millis rates are probably cheaper than either Newton or any other town inside 128), keeping your legal address in Millis, etc. - may just be easier than changing everything up every time you move. There is the drawback of having to go back and get your mail at the Millis address (be careful what you change - you want to have it look like you legally still live in Millis) - but if it is your parent's house - and you go back to visit them frequently anyway - this shouldn't be a big deal.

I would be careful about storing too many firearms at the apartment though - if you leave your address as Millis.

Just an idea........

It's not such a good idea.

Telling your insurance company your address is Millis and then living and parking in another city most of the time is fraud. You also won't get a city parking permit unless your car is registered in that city (e.g. Boston).

Your legal residence for the most part is where you reside. Unfortunately you can't legally just pick a place on a map.

No one cares where you mail goes but the post office.

I'm not saying anyone will 'stop you from doing it', I'm just saying you can't legally pretend to reside in one location and actually reside in another.

Excellent.

If you're 22 then you don't have to worry about renewals for at least six years, so move wherever you want and enjoy you ALP!

That's a really good point actually...my permit expires in 2013 by which time I will be 28 and probably moving further out into the suburbs (preferably Wellesley/Weston/Natick). So maybe for now I'll just not worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom