GOAL under attack by those that want to undo the good work we've done.

Southpark_snooki.jpg

I have a hard time supporting GOAL given their approach of "We scratch your backs, you scratch ours...just not as much" approach to legislation support and push. I want a GOAL that goes for the goddamned jugular. Will that happen?

Last I knew, GOAL had 14,000 members in a state of 6 million. A lobbying group of that size has no ability to "go for the jugular". Get more MA gun owners to join GOAL and maybe there's hope.

Bob, maybe it's time for GOAL to change their name. I realize that's a double edged sword but I think it's worth considering.

Bob, maybe it's time for GOAL to change their name. I realize that's a double edged sword but I think it's worth considering.

+1 on the confusion. The press and the lay people will be confused as to which organization is saying what. You want your organization to be identified with your ideas.

Also, I would be very interested in seeing specifics on what they want to accomplish. What is their most important objective, second most etc. Winning the war in this state could take a really long time. How about some small battles in the meantime. It would be great to hear the ideas and plans.

I think GOAL should do a little foot work and press the flesh as they say. They should go to every gun club in MA. and talk to the members. Tell the people what the new GOAL is going to do for them.

Last edited:
+1 on the confusion. The press and the lay people will be confused as to which organization is saying what. You want your organization to be identified with your ideas.

Also, I would be very interested in seeing specifics on what they want to accomplish. What is their most important objective, second most etc. Winning the war in this state could take a really long time. How about some small battles in the meantime. It would be great to hear the ideas and plans.
Have you read?
http://www.goal.org

I think GOAL should do a little foot work and press the flesh as they say. They should go to every gun club in MA. and talk to the members. Tell the people what the new GOAL is going to do for them.

There are IIRC, 5 Employees at GOAL, and having been at their offices several times during "work" hours, it's no sinecure. I have no clue as to their compensation plan, but in addition to the "regular" work, they do gun shows, Topsfield Fair, etc. I'm guessing that there are not enough hours.

There are well over 100 Clubs in Mass:
http://www.massgunclubs.org/mass_gun_clubs.htm

Logistically speaking....it ain't doable!

Now....if the GOAL folks that are monitoring this (Hi Mike! Hi Jon!) could do a sheet with some Bullet Points that a GOAL Member could read at the next Monthly Meeting, that might help.

A couple of years back, I decided that when I attended the local Concerts on the Green, I'd do some educational outreach, and bring info on my Club, and GOAL, to pass out to the Concert Goers (Hell, if the pols could do it, and a chiropracter, why not?) Looks like GOAL Members at the Clubs around here need to do that at the Clubs, too.....

Actually, if there was an "Official" concise description of the new division of labor, that might help.....

There are IIRC, 5 Employees at GOAL, and having been at their offices several times during "work" hours, it's no sinecure. I have no clue as to their compensation plan, but in addition to the "regular" work, they do gun shows, Topsfield Fair, etc. I'm guessing that there are not enough hours.

There are well over 100 Clubs in Mass:
http://www.massgunclubs.org/mass_gun_clubs.htm

Logistically speaking....it ain't doable!

Now....if the GOAL folks that are monitoring this (Hi Mike! Hi Jon!) could do a sheet with some Bullet Points that a GOAL Member could read at the next Monthly Meeting, that might help.

A couple of years back, I decided that when I attended the local Concerts on the Green, I'd do some educational outreach, and bring info on my Club, and GOAL, to pass out to the Concert Goers (Hell, if the pols could do it, and a chiropracter, why not?) Looks like GOAL Members at the Clubs around here need to do that at the Clubs, too.....

Actually, if there was an "Official" concise description of the new division of labor, that might help.....

The GOAL BoD wanted to work with the Foundation and reached out to the Foundation BoD in an effort to insure a strong working relationship going forward, GOAL with the focus on continuing it's lobbying efforts, and adult education, outreach etc.. the Foundation on running junior programs, continuing helping with the camp, etc..

This was not agreeable with the Foundation leadership, and they wouldn't even sit at the table with the GOAL BoD. I do not want to speak as to what their plans are. I do know that GOAL is moving forward, see below:

Gun Owners' Action League is stronger than ever and growing, the staff is united and working very hard to insure that freedom is protected and restored in MA. Now enabled by strong, focused leadership they are calling for the gun owners of MA to stand with them in the fight.

GOAL's focus is as follows.
1. Grow the organization - strength in numbers!
2. Raise funds which will allow the organization to more effectively broadcast it's message
3. Educate the citizens and legislators of the Commonwealth.
4. Ensure that no anti 2A legislation is passed.
5. Communicate with and organize gun owners' so that their voice is heard at the poll.
6. Most importantly, reform the web of unconstitutional law in MA.

An individual can belong to GOAL for approximately 8 cents a day, I would venture to guess that most here can afford that.

Last edited:
The GOAL BoD wanted to work with the Foundation and reached out to the Foundation BoD in an effort to insure a strong working relationship going forward, GOAL with the focus on continuing it's lobbying efforts, and adult education, outreach etc.. the Foundation on running junior programs, continuing helping with the camp, etc..

This was not agreeable with the Foundation leadership, and they wouldn't even sit at the table with the GOAL BoD. I do not want to speak as to what their plans are. I do know that GOAL is moving forward, see below:

Gun Owners' Action League is stronger than ever and growing, the staff is united and working very hard to insure that freedom is protected and restored in MA. Now enabled by strong, focused leadership they are calling for the gun owners of MA to stand with them in the fight.

GOAL's focus is as follows.
1. Grow the organization - strength in numbers!
2. Raise funds which will allow the organization to more effectively broadcast it's message
3. Educate the citizens and legislators of the Commonwealth.
4. Insure that no more anti 2A legislation is passed.
5. Communicate with and organize gun owners' so that their voice is heard at the poll.
6. Most importantly, reform the web of unconstitutional law in MA.

An individual can belong to GOAL for approximately 8 cents a day, I would venture to guess that most here can afford that.

First, I really like the direction GOAL is headed in. With the current GOAL on the legislation/lobbying side and Comm2A on the litigation side, I'm finally optimistic that MA gun owners won't be trampled over by the state government forever.

However, and this isn't directed at GOAL at all, it's a real shame that the GOAL Foundation wants to continue putting their fiefdom and self interest ahead of the greater good. Education is important too and will help bring about more gun ownership in MA by law abiding citizens.

If anyone in the GOAL Foundation is reading this, you have your heads firmly implanted in your rectums.

Wow, the GOAL Foundation really needs to rinse out that sand from their vagina's and take a constructive seat at the table.

If they can't do that then they need to STFU and go about their FUDD'y way.

As Director of Education & Training for GOAL and a former Executive Officer for the WP&R Club, I can tell you that GOAL has always paid $10 per person minimum in range fees to the Club for any classes held there. GOAL also provides free law lectures for our affiliated Clubs and has held said lecture at WP&R Club.

Thanks for the clarity, Jon, hence my highlighting RUMOR as The info presented to me was rather sketchy.

Unfortunately many people do not like change but change is inevitable if you wish to remain relevant in the world. My thanks to the Young Guns who forced the issue of GOAL modernizing and righting the ship. If some people can`t handle it don`t let the door hit you on the way out. We have to many firearm related issues in this poor excuse for a free state for us to be at each others throat`s. Either get on board or get the hell out of the way.
I attended the first GOAL rally on the Boston Common years ago and we need more events like that to let the sheeple know we`re still here.

I cancelled my GOAL membership long ago. Since I started shooting (collecting) back in 1996, this state has only gone downhill. I really can't blame GOAL for this, considering all makeup of MA (mostly liberals), but I did expect a little more. Now with this confusing split in the organization, I wonder how effective they can be.

I cancelled my GOAL membership long ago. Since I started shooting (collecting) back in 1996, this state has only gone downhill. I really can't blame GOAL for this, considering all makeup of MA (mostly liberals), but I did expect a little more. Now with this confusing split in the organization, I wonder how effective they can be.

They'll be far less effective without our (your) money and support.

They'll be far less effective without our (your) money and support.

That last part is important. I hope that the changing of the guard in the recent elections was an expression of GOAL members' desire for a more inclusive, and expanding role for GOAL's members in this process.

That will be essential for success. It isn't about what was done in 1976, it is about what needs to be done now and that is to develop a voting block that is taken seriously at the state-house not just to block the most ridiculous measures, but to change the laws to be more in fitting with those of a free society and the Constitution itself.

That last part is important. I hope that the changing of the guard in the recent elections was an expression of GOAL members' desire for a more inclusive, and expanding role for GOAL's members in this process.

That will be essential for success. It isn't about what was done in 1976, it is about what needs to be done now and that is to develop a voting block that is taken seriously at the state-house not just to block the most ridiculous measures, but to change the laws to be more in fitting with those of a free society and the Constitution itself.

That`s why I didn`t renew my NRA membership and instead joined SAF and GOA as well as GOAL.

Given the recent history of GOAL and what was brought to light regarding the GOAL Foundation and the Outdoor Message, your statement makes no sense.

The GOAL Foundation was an albatross and they certainly weren't going to be effective with that hung around their necks. Will they be effective now? That remains to be seen but it at least it won't be for lack of trying and people in the overall organization who have other motivations.

I've pointed this out before but I think it's worth reiterating here. GOAL is an organization who lobbies for gun rights in MA. Lobbying organizations need membership numbers to be taken seriously by legislators. If the lobbying organization is corrupt, I fully understand why gun owners in MA wouldn't want to join, but that really seems to not be the case anymore. Legislators in MA ignore gun owners because they think our numbers are too small to matter.

Last edited:
This is a very important period for GOAL.org and I hope many here offer support. Join, renew, or make a special donation.

I honestly didn't think the efforts to fix the conflicts and problems would succeed. I was wrong about that. Bob P and others here who asked questions and demanded answers made a difference. We all owe them our gratitude and we also owe that gratitude to the board members, new and old, who made the right decisions.

I don't agree with every political move GOAL makes, but I do want a lobbying effort that at least pushes in the right direction. GOAL is what we have and the best way to challenge GOAL is to join, donate and help. Just join for one year if you want -- see how it goes. The best thing that could happen now would be an influx of members and money. Then we can see how that enthusiasm and money affects things.

Remember that GOAL is more than just the political effort. GOAL's website is a great source of material for new shooters. The staff have done a tremendous job with the new publication. And they did it in the midst of a move to new space and all of the disruption that brings. I don't know much about GOAL training but I did get to shoot with Jon Green in a class a while back. From that experience I know he is extremely professional, personable, and an excellent shooter. I haven't seen him teach, but I have no doubt that he is very good at it.

All of this -- the lobbying effort, the communications and membership work, and the education work are all GOAL.org. We have a board with new members, a new location, and an effort unimpeded by the problems of the past. Support GOAL.org and let's see what that support brings.

If the lobbying organization is corrupt, I fully understand why gun owners in MA wouldn't want to join, but that really seems to not be the case anymore.

It only takes a moment to ruin a reputation, but years to repair it. I would support any organization that fights for gun owners with an unbiased approach.

Legislators in MA ignore gun owners because they think our numbers are too small to matter.

And they would be correct. Unless someone has some data to disprove that, gun owners in MA are a very small minority. But I feel the even bigger issue is that out of the small number of gun owners, most of them just get their license, buy a gun, and then they are done with it. They do not bother with any organizations, nor do they care about expanded rights just as long as they have their toy.

As Director of Education & Training for GOAL and a former Executive Officer for the WP&R Club, I can tell you that GOAL has always paid $10 per person minimum in range fees to the Club for any classes held there. GOAL also provides free law lectures for our affiliated Clubs and has held said lecture at WP&R Club.

I sit in those WPRC meetings and see Jon there nearly every month making a report. I also see him delivering fat envelopes with fees collected from classes. GOAL is NOT freeloading off of the WPRC. Likewise, they are not demanding that every WPRC member be a member of GOAL. That's a club instituted rule.

If I'm being honest, I don't agree with a club demanding you have membership in another club to join. Under different circumstances I might be inclined to vote to drop the rule. However, in these circumstances, I'm showing up at that meeting even if I have to go with my kids to vote to keep this rule in place. GOAL gives back a lot to the club and I wouldn't be surprised if they were responsible for quite a few memberships since its the range many newbies are exposed to in their classes.

Yacino, under a different email address, sent this little missive to membership. It is laughably disingenuous as he never once uttered a disparaging word to membership when his company was suckling the GOAL teat. After all, mandatory membership at the club meant 400-600 more issues a month. Now that he's cutoff, this is apparently a rip off to membership. For the record, I've been a member since 2010 and I have never heard so much as a breath from ANYONE complaining about the $30 for GOAL.

Hello,

This initiative has one purpose: to remove the additional cost to WPR Club membership that is currently forced on members by the GOAL membership mandate. The club removed a similar mandate of NRA membership some years back, and this is no different. No one is suggesting folks don’t join GOAL – I continue to be a member myself. People should be allowed to choose for themselves, however.
My name is Michael Yacino. I’ve been a Worcester Pistol and Rifle member since 2005. I’m one of many members that contributed additional money to the Club when we first began the discussion of renovating our clubhouse/indoor range. I make as many of the work parties as I my work schedules will allow. I am NRA-certified/Mass licensed Safety Instructor, RSO, IDPA member, Life NRA member, and a GOAL member.
Unfortunately, it comes as no surprise that this has been misrepresented as a ‘personal issue’, Disappointing as this is, I prefer to take the higher road and not to attack anyone’s character, rather address the topic at hand. While many of the statements Mr Moysey made were incorrect or misleading, some are tangent to the removal of the membership mandate, so I will not address them here – certainly, there’s plenty of that happening in other forums.
First, removing the mandate does not require a bylaw change, but a change in ‘rules of membership’. What this means is that the change requires no petition required as there would be if it were a bylaw change. Initially, it was thought to be a bylaw change, and more than enough signatures were collected to initiate such a motion - so the statement that “only one individual” is behind it is simply untrue.
I have talked to non-Club members and members about this. At the last work party I attended, one long-time WPR member commented that “GOAL hasn’t done anything for us [the club] for years.” Another had no intention of ever not renewing his GOAL membership, but thought it was wrong to force people to join. I talked to a two other guys at an IDPA match in January who have not joined the Club because they don’t want to join GOAL, and would rather pay the extra $5 to shoot a match when they can make it. One of my neighbors didn’t renew his membership at the Club because he didn’t have the extra $30. Two other friends don’t have the extra money or simply don’t want to GOAL. That’s $900 the Club has lost from those last 5 alone. So 8 or 10 guys at the work party, a few others here and there - that’s the sum of my unofficial poll, and there’s nothing misleading here.
As to the timing of bringing this forward, the idea came after I had had some of the aforementioned conversations – really in the last 2-3 months. The Club Board has been supportive of the bringing the motion forward, though it has not stated it’s position as leaning one way or the other. I also discussed the timing (now or some point in the future) with some of the other Club members who signed the initial petition mentioned above, and ~we~ decided to move forward. I have discussed this at length with our Board, and particularly our President. When I last spoke with him, I explained that, although we did want to move forward, I might not be able to make the June meeting due to my work schedule – but he suggested we just move forward with the vote. Cleary it’s a controversial item, and there is certainly a lot happening around our renovation. I would be surprised if GOAL BOD member thought was ever a good time for such a vote. However, suggesting that the Board has been strong-armed is simply not true.
When times and the economy were better, many Club members supported the collection of an extra $600 per member towards the renovation of the Club. I don’t think members really thought too much about the extra $30 we had to pay to GOAL or the $35 to the NRA, mandates that had been put in place some 25 years ago. Two of these are no longer in place, but one is. And ~these~ times are certainly not ~those~ times.
All we are asking is to let members decide for themselves how they spend their hard-earned money.

Regards,
Michael

Yacino, under a different email address, sent this little missive to membership. It is laughably disingenuous as he never once uttered a disparaging word to membership when his company was suckling the GOAL teat. After all, mandatory membership at the club meant 400-600 more issues a month. Now that he's cutoff, this is apparently a rip off to membership.

That's about all I need to know.

I sit in those WPRC meetings and see Jon there nearly every month making a report. I also see him delivering fat envelopes with fees collected from classes. GOAL is NOT freeloading off of the WPRC. Likewise, they are not demanding that every WPRC member be a member of GOAL. That's a club instituted rule.

If I'm being honest, I don't agree with a club demanding you have membership in another club to join. Under different circumstances I might be inclined to vote to drop the rule. However, in these circumstances, I'm showing up at that meeting even if I have to go with my kids to vote to keep this rule in place. GOAL gives back a lot to the club and I wouldn't be surprised if they were responsible for quite a few memberships since its the range many newbies are exposed to in their classes.

Yacino, under a different email address, sent this little missive to membership. It is laughably disingenuous as he never once uttered a disparaging word to membership when his company was suckling the GOAL teat. After all, mandatory membership at the club meant 400-600 more issues a month. Now that he's cutoff, this is apparently a rip off to membership. For the record, I've been a member since 2010 and I have never heard so much as a breath from ANYONE complaining about the $30 for GOAL.

Funny,

As a WPRC member, I never received such an email.

I have to admit, the thought crossed my mind as well about the $30 mandatory fee, however, recent events have also changed that sentiment.

I'd have to agree that GOAL is good for the club. Membership is at an all-time high, by design, in order to finance the ongoing renovations. Conducting training classes at a nearby club certainly helps to encourage new shooters to join a club, not just WPRC, but perhaps a local club nearer to home.

I'm a bit puzzled in that not that it's been OK for the mandatory GOAL membership up until now, and suddenly it's not? Methinks the timing is not coincidental.

I'll help watch the kids if ya need help.

ETA- from the www.wprc.com site:

<snip>As a reminder that, while the club is undergoing renovations, our meetings are being held at 599 Main Street , in Boylston. The building is known as the Town House and is located next to the Boylston Fire Department. The meeting will be held on June 7 at 7pm.

Last edited:
Funny,

As a WPRC member, I never received such an email.

I have to admit, the thought crossed my mind as well about the $30 mandatory fee, however, recent events have also changed that sentiment.

I'd have to agree that GOAL is good for the club. Membership is at an all-time high, by design, in order to finance the ongoing renovations. Conducting training classes at a nearby club certainly helps to encourage new shooters to join a club, not just WPRC, but perhaps a local club nearer to home.

I'm a bit puzzled in that not that it's been OK for the mandatory GOAL membership up until now, and suddenly it's not? Methinks the timing is not coincidental.

I'll help watch the kids if ya need help.

The email went to a WPRC IDPA list. That's where the emails are being bandied about.

The tie between GOAL and WPRC is strong and, I think, a very positive one. If you've got enough coin to pay for the membership (which is not the cheapest around) the extra $30 won't kill you. The economic argument is pure BS. No one brought this up three years ago when the economy was even deeper in the toilet. Now, all of a sudden, he thinks its a hardship we should strike down? Right. Go peddle crazy someplace else, jackass, we're all full up here.

Thanks for posting this. You reminded me to give them some patronage today.

NH has three gun-rights organizations, from a series of political splits. Nervous politicians always credit disunity among the three for not supporting legislation.

It would be good to fix this. If MA ends up with two gun rights organizations, legislators will care little if one represents thousands and the other dozens. They will use the split as reason to flush any useful legislation.

I took Mike's missive, and added a few comments from others of you, and will use those as talking points at my club tonight. I'll put it up here later.

Back
Top Bottom