GOAL under attack by those that want to undo the good work we've done.

Over the past year and a half, NESers fought to basically save GOAL from the mismanagement and fiscal irresponsibility of the prior board of directors. I personally know that the staff of GOAL is grateful for all of your efforts on their behalf. Their new board has moved quickly to distance themselves from some of the questionable decisions of the past and start the process of positioning GOAL to be a 21st Century organization.

Unfortunately those people that would turn the clock back at GOAL are still out there and have rallied around the GOAL Foundation. The two organizations share the same name but had distinctly different missions – GOAL inc (what we know as GOAL) as a lobby group and the Foundation whose role was to promote 2A awareness through education.

GOAL Inc has moved into new quarters, away from the foundation (who owned the old building and who, apparently used that fact and that access to wield undue influence ). GOAL Inc has reached out to the Foundation but has been rejected. Everyone I’ve talked to at GOAL believes there’s no reason for the Foundation and GOAL to work at cross purposes. We’re all gun owners, we all believe in the freedom to exercise our fundamental human rights.

Sadly there are people who are intent on spreading misinformation – at their clubs, on Facebook, through publications etc. – about GOAL, the split and GOAL’s new direction.
I’m asking one more favor of you; talk to your friends, to the people you shoot with, the people at your club and let them know the real story. We can’t let the people who want to turn the clock back win the info war.

I have a hard time supporting GOAL given their approach of "We scratch your backs, you scratch ours...just not as much" approach to legislation support and push. I want a GOAL that goes for the goddamned jugular. Will that happen?

Thanks but don't thank me, talk to fellow shooters, tell them what's going on and ask them to support GOAL.

I have a hard time supporting GOAL given their approach of "We scratch your backs, you scratch ours...just not as much" approach to legislation support and push. I want a GOAL that goes for the goddamned jugular. Will that happen?

With respect, how can a lobby group go for the jugular?

What kind of misinformation exactly? Some people have no shame, GOAL foundation can go the away with TOM, I dont expect either to survive without GOAL inc drawing money their way.

What kind of misinformation exactly? Some people have no shame, GOAL foundation can go the away with TOM, I dont expect either to survive without GOAL inc drawing money their way.

That this was in some way due to Jim Wallace being jealous of a former Executive Director, that this was some sort of personal vendetta, that some nefarious organization called NES took GOAL over - some of the crap out there is pretty shocking in it's stupidity.

One of my friends who's a shooter at Worcester Pistol and Rifle sent me a copy of a letter Dr. Steve Mosey - one of the new Directors at GOAL and an NESer wrote to his fellow members in response to a bit of anti-GOAL politicing going on over at WPR. I paste it here as it spells out WHY GOAL split from the foundation and may be useful when we spread the word.

As most of you will now have seen, via email or through other social media, there is a motion before the June meeting of the WPRC membership to vote on dropping the 100% requirement for members of the club to also be a member of GOAL. As a club member and also a member of the board of GOAL, I wanted to lay out some facts behind this motion to drop GOAL membership.
Several GOAL members, last fall, started questioning the relationship between GOAL and the “official” membership publication, The Outdoor Message. On closer examination – as far as was practical as the board at the time was reluctant to be transparent to the membership, the financial picture regarding the ongoing relationship with TOM made little sense from a business standpoint.
TOM was costing GOAL in the region of $85,000 a year with the advertising revenue going to TOM and not GOAL, despite the publication being the official paper. The publisher of TOM is Mr. Mike Yacino, former Executive Director of GOAL and still heavily involved in the GOAL Foundation, which is a separate entity from GOAL. Mr. Yacino’s daughter Michelle is the editor of TOM. The relationship between GOAL and TOM was viewed by many of the members as not being in the best interest of GOAL, so a motion was made and passed to sever ties and create a new print and electronic newsletter in house at GOAL at a reduced cost. This would also allow GOAL to collect the advertising revenue and also distance GOAL from the increasingly inappropriate and politically charged editorials that were appearing in TOM.
This move caused TOM to react in a manner that was not in the best interests of GOAL. Pressure was put to bear on the then GOAL board leadership to go over the head of the Executive Director and fire the GOAL communications manager – who would have been responsible for producing the in-house publication. This move also removed GOAL’s internet publication and social media capacity, leaving only TOM as the sole means of communication with the membership. This was clearly a highly disruptive move against GOAL, as the internet - including the online store – generates a significant amount of income for the organization which ultimately benefits the members.
The situation was rapidly spiraling out of control. Pressure from outside the board had rendered the GOAL leadership virtually powerless and the membership was becoming dissatisfied with the transparent political maneuvers from TOM. But, GOAL has taken considerable strides to put things back on the right track.
This spring saw the election to the board a new group of directors, all active shooters, and the election of a new dynamic president in Jay Beard. The management team has been given back full authority to manage the day-to-day operations, the communications manager has been reinstated and GOAL has moved to a much better facility. This move has physically and functionally further separated GOAL from the Foundation and TOM. The new GOAL newsletter, available in print or online, has been enthusiastically welcomed by the membership.

Key question: If there still is a newsletter, then how much money is being spent on typing up, inserting a few images and mailing the newsletter?

Hopefully less than $89,000 per year.

Key question: If there still is a newsletter, then how much money is being spent on typing up, inserting a few images and mailing the newsletter?

Hopefully less than $89,000 per year.

CONSIDERABLY less. My information is they're already 20% below the old cost and that number will drop as more people opt out of the paper version AND as ad revenue picks up. They've already landed 2 major manufacturers with full pagers.

So the pulse dial crew is still out there trying to stir up shit? You would think they would have gotten the message at this point.

-Mike

So the pulse dial crew is still out there trying to stir up shit? You would think they would have gotten the message at this point.

-Mike

They still think the internet is a fad. Ironic that they're using it to spread their message though[laugh] the difference is we're better at it than they are.

I think GOAL should keep making strides in a concerted effort to debunk this whole thing before it even gets off the ground. I hope they take the offensive and not wait to the point where their answers are seen as reactionary. That letter posted by BobP is a great start.

Over the past year and a half, NESers fought to basically save GOAL from the mismanagement and fiscal irresponsibility of the prior board of directors. I personally know that the staff of GOAL is grateful for all of your efforts on their behalf. Their new board has moved quickly to distance themselves from some of the questionable decisions of the past and start the process of positioning GOAL to be a 21st Century organization.

Unfortunately those people that would turn the clock back at GOAL are still out there and have rallied around the GOAL Foundation. The two organizations share the same name but had distinctly different missions – GOAL inc (what we know as GOAL) as a lobby group and the Foundation whose role was to promote 2A awareness through education.

GOAL Inc has moved into new quarters, away from the foundation (who owned the old building and who, apparently used that fact and that access to wield undue influence ). GOAL Inc has reached out to the Foundation but has been rejected. Everyone I’ve talked to at GOAL believes there’s no reason for the Foundation and GOAL to work at cross purposes. We’re all gun owners, we all believe in the freedom to exercise our fundamental human rights.

Sadly there are people who are intent on spreading misinformation – at their clubs, on Facebook, through publications etc. – about GOAL, the split and GOAL’s new direction.
I’m asking one more favor of you; talk to your friends, to the people you shoot with, the people at your club and let them know the real story. We can’t let the people who want to turn the clock back win the info war.

there are two GOALs? ...that is a little confusing.

Bob P, I don't know you, but thanks for all the drive, persistency, and willingness to confront these issues.

Could someone please clarify--preferably with a link--what the actual and authentic GOAL organization is?

I recently joined GOAL. I hope it was the real one!

Organization fail. Big time. I can't stand lobby groups that extort membership by requiring participants(gun club members) to join. Best to bury all the bodies and move on(no pun intended)

I try to discuss GOAL and its benefits to each shooter I am in contact with. Maybe not enough sometimes I will try and make sure the truth is being told.

we host several GOAL events at my club each year and we're all aware of these douche-tards. i was telling one of the other board members about the voting and was like "yep, that was pretty much all us. most of those new guys are from the group of people i hang out with. all are excellent individuals and will keep GOAL on the right track."

One of my friends who's a shooter at Worcester Pistol and Rifle sent me a copy of a letter Dr. Steve Mosey - one of the new Directors at GOAL and an NESer wrote to his fellow members in response to a bit of anti-GOAL politicing going on over at WPR. I paste it here as it spells out WHY GOAL split from the foundation and may be useful when we spread the word.

What Bob P didn't say was that Dr. Steve also stated that this anti-GOAL WPRC motion was made by Mike Yacino, Jr., a member there. Smell anything rotting?

I discontinued my membership in goal a long time ago. I was always disappointed by what I perceived as their lack of commitment to the cause. What really did it for me was how they mishandled the lawsuits that were filed after the 1998 bill. We live with that legislation to this day because one hand didn't take an interest into what the other was doing.

It sounds like new leadership is trying to right those wrongs of the past. But I'm not one to jump back on board so quickly. I am not rich and so am a man of limited means. So when I expend money on supporting the cause I need to make sure it goes someplace where it will get the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom