• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOAL Alert - Senator Tarr's "Act to Protect Due Process" Focus Efforts On This Bill!

Rosenberg isn't even going to look at the petition. There'll be a bunch of crumpled up yellow pieces of paper in the aide's wastebasket at the end of the day. Rosenberg sides with Her Majesty and wants her to have the power to do what she wants without wasting time with all that pesky "voting" and "representing the people" claptrap.

Rosenberg isn't even going to look at the petition. There'll be a bunch of crumpled up yellow pieces of paper in the aide's wastebasket at the end of the day. Rosenberg sides with Her Majesty and wants her to have the power to do what she wants without wasting time with all that pesky "voting" and "representing the people" claptrap.

His man running the front desk is hopefully getting the point. There's a roll of names in front of him now with a line out the door.

I guarantee you Brad Hill is a 100% opposed to this AG action.

Yes, he is. My email response from him.

Dear Mr. xxxxxx,

Thank you for your email. I am in full agreement with everything you have said and am very concerned not only at her decision but at the lack of public input. Toward that end, the Republican Caucus drafted correspondence to the Attorney General expressing our opposition to not only her interpretation of the law but also at the process that brought us to this point. As far as I know there were no public hearings or meetings with any group that would afford us to have a conversation on this issue. Additionally, we are looking at what we can do legislatively to reverse what the Attorney General has done. Also, absent any legislative action we are working with others to look at legal action against her.

In closing, I again thank you for reaching out to me on this very important issue. You can be assured that I am on top of this and will do what I can to rectify this action by the Attorney General.

Sincerely,

Bradford R. Hill
Assistant Minority Leader
Massachusetts House of Representatives

Feeling pretty betrayed by this whole "system" right now. Wrote thirteen individual (not copycat) letters to cognizant Senators and Rep's via email. Made twice as many phone calls and spoke with several aides. Then Hosenberg just decides to subjectively crap on the citizenry........Big surprise.

I could not make it to Boston today but just called Rosenberg's office and spoke to an aide to express my displeasure at the possibility of it not coming up for a vote. Just followed it up with this email that I cc'd all other Senators on:

Senator Rosenberg,

I was not able to make it in to Boston today to try to speak to you about this matter but did just leave a message with one of your aides. I have heard that you personally will not allow this bill to come up for a vote in this session and, if this is true, it is quite distressing to me and, I am sure, hundreds of thousands of other citizens in the Commonwealth. I am respectfully requesting that you allow a vote on this now and not leave gun owners in Massachusetts in limbo under the dark shadow of our Attorney General whose actions of late appear to be completely politically motivated. Healey has usurped the legislative process and changed the whole dynamic of how a government for the citizens should work, this should be very concerning to you and fellow Senators/Representatives. I am imploring you to allow this wrong to be corrected by allowing Senator Tarr’s bill to come up for a vote and, if you do desire to change the firearms laws, do it through the proper legislative process where all voices will have equal weight.

I promise that, if you do not allow this to come up for a vote, I not only will never vote for you again but will make it my mission to remove you from office at election time.

Thank you – your constituent,

PS: I never voted for him anyway! POS!

Soo, I'm still not seeing how the ar-15 isnt still banned under the recent interpretation. I know the interpretation is invalid, but the writing of the law still supports it.

The exact make and model known as "Colt AR-15" has been banned since '94. This bill does not change that. Trying to remove specific enumerated weapons, or the "copies or duplicates" language, will be seen as weakening the state AWB which would greatly lessen it's chance of passing.

What it does is undo Healey's gross expansion of "copies or duplicates" far beyond the letter and intent of the law, and prevents an AG (or governor, or MA Cabinet Sectary, or MSP Colonel, or ...) from trying this again. It's cast as a slap-down of the AG's over-reach into the legislature's territory, something some "antis" can support. It still may not pass, but it at least has a snowball's chance. Trying to roll back the AWB in part or in whole would have a snowflake's chance.

I could not make it to Boston today but just called Rosenberg's office and spoke to an aide to express my displeasure at the possibility of it not coming up for a vote. Just followed it up with this email that I cc'd all other Senators on:

Senator Rosenberg,

I was not able to make it in to Boston today to try to speak to you about this matter but did just leave a message with one of your aides. I have heard that you personally will not allow this bill to come up for a vote in this session and, if this is true, it is quite distressing to me and, I am sure, hundreds of thousands of other citizens in the Commonwealth. I am respectfully requesting that you allow a vote on this now and not leave gun owners in Massachusetts in limbo under the dark shadow of our Attorney General whose actions of late appear to be completely politically motivated. Healey has usurped the legislative process and changed the whole dynamic of how a government for the citizens should work, this should be very concerning to you and fellow Senators/Representatives. I am imploring you to allow this wrong to be corrected by allowing Senator Tarr’s bill to come up for a vote and, if you do desire to change the firearms laws, do it through the proper legislative process where all voices will have equal weight.

I promise that, if you do not allow this to come up for a vote, I not only will never vote for you again but will make it my mission to remove you from office at election time.

Thank you – your constituent,

PS: I never voted for him anyway!

Very well done.

Don't forget to go hit up DeLeo, too. His office is directly opposite Rosenberg's on the other side of the state house. His aids are also taking down names.

To others:

There seems to be a reading comprehension problem with some folks here. Sit down and read the bill before criticizing. It makes all this "go away" and prevents another re-occurrence. Only bad part is jail term for 1st offense of non-registration, other than that it does not do anything negative at all. Great work by GOAL and Sen. Tarr!
Excellent advice Len!
Here's the bill: http://goal.org/Documents/healey-2016/An-Act-To-Protect-Due-Process.pdf
I would also suggest having Healey's directive handy, http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html; and the relevent MGLs, C140 S121 ("assault weapon" definition), C93A S2 (defines AG's authority), and C140 S131M (actual assault weapon ban). This is important because Healey's directive and the bill are defined in terms of changes to/interpretations of said MGLs.

Funny how much power can be claimed by one person, isn't it?

Sadly this is how the "system" works at both the national level and state level in MA (don't know how other states work). Either the senate president or speaker of the house can kill any bill by simply refusing to allow it to be put on the floor.

Just spoke to Timilty, he's with us but he said even if it comes up it won't pass.

Jim is with us, but I have found him to be an open and honest man who will tell it like it is, even if it isn't what we want to hear. For that I respect him as I also live in a "real world", not the world I wish it to be, even though I will work like hell to change things I don't like.

-------------------

Unable to spend the day in Boston and also know that face time would be very short and less productive than what I did do . . . I sent brief Emails with a follow-up letter (by Email) with details of why SD 2644 should be supported. I just followed that up with phone calls to all the following (who also received the Emails/letter): DeLeo, Rosenberg, Naughton, Timilty, Baker plus my state rep and sen. Only Naughton and Baker's office went to VM, the rest I was able to talk with an aide and asked them to have their boss read my letter.

Sad to see that it won't be debated due to another dictator holding up the legislative process.

Although this sounds like it's the best we're going to get for now, when it comes to legalese bS there always seems to be a way to re-interpret it by those in charge to screw us over.
I guess it will have to do for now if we can get it passed.

I just started hitting his twitter feed.

I just called Rosenbergs office.
Woman on the phone said thy have been really busy all day.
And they don't generally vote on a very new bill at the end of the ....whatever.
Left my name town and voiced support for the bill.
I'm a central Ma. "R" that has Fattman and Durant as my guys.
So, not expecting much from Mr. Rosenberg's office.

Pretty sure there were well over that. Keep in mind everyone was dispersed to their individual reps' offices, and the inside of the statehouse is rather large.

I hope not, because I'm looking at all but 4 reps right now, and those 4 are all out of the building.

I went to the state house today and went to my rep's office.

I would like to emphasize to people that calling on the phone is very effective, you do not have to physically get over there. It's great that a bunch of us did, but use the technology, pick up a phone, write an email, it all helps very much. They are getting a constant stream of concerned calls and I believe it is having a strong effect.

I emphasized that I expect my legislators to protect me from an out of control Attorney General.

I was at state house from 11;00 to 2:00. The turn out was great. You sound like the press that estimated a few hundred not the five thousand that showed up last Saturday

Dunno man, I was there and I'm sitting in the gallery per goal instructions. Cant say the turnout was stellar.

At state house sitting in Senators Mike rush office, waiting for him or an aid
Waited over an hour when fellow needham resident came in. Waited another 15 minutes when his aid came it . Rush is supporting bill. Even in Needham 2 out of 3 of my reps support Tarrs Bill.

It's a shame the AG and the Senate President are abusing their power. It would be great if we could redefine their public pension.

Waited over an hour when fellow needham resident came in. Waited another 15 minutes when his aid came it . Rush is supporting bill. Even in Needham 2 out of 3 of my reps support Tarrs Bill.

It's a shame the AG and the Senate President are abusing their power. It would be great if we could redefine their public pension.

What is the senate president not allowing a vote?

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Back
Top Bottom