• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GLOCK 42 first impressions

I just picked up my Glock 42 and it seems to be the gun I have been waiting for Glock to make for years. I can now say Glock makes a pocket pistol because that's what this is. The brickiness is gone and it's very slim. Attached are photos comparing it to the Glock 36. As you can see, the 36 is ginormous in comparison. View attachment 92520View attachment 92521View attachment 92522

I like the PM9 and XDs, but glock is my #1 so I'm glad they finally came out with something smaller like this. It will last forever as Glocks do and will eat anything you feed it.

yup. Get a KAHR in 9mm or a 45 in just a tad bigger package.

The Pm9 is actually smaller than the 42 in length and height and is about the same width. I ran a couple mags threw the 42 last night not a bad little pistol but it should of been chambered in 9mm for its size.

Last edited:
FDE or OD 36 (can't tell in that lighting) and a brandy new 42? You are well-connected and I am jealous.
You find yourself shooting a little to the left with that short pull?

I understand why they went with .380 but if it can be done in ,380 it can be done in 9mm

I don't understand, Explain???

I feel like most everyone is wondering why they went with a .380 first and not a 9mm, 9mm is the most popular round.

I just picked up my Glock 42 and it seems to be the gun I have been waiting for Glock to make for years. I can now say Glock makes a pocket pistol because that's what this is. The brickiness is gone and it's very slim. Attached are photos comparing it to the Glock 36. As you can see, the 36 is ginormous in comparison. View attachment 92520View attachment 92521View attachment 92522

What?? The single stack .380 is the Glock you've been waiting for??? Really???

How does comparing the size of a Glock .380 to the size of a Glock .45acp make sense? These traits are true of any .380 when compared to a .45acp aren't they.

I don't understand, Explain???

I feel like most everyone is wondering why they went with a .380 first and not a 9mm, 9mm is the most popular round.

Tere is a global market, some countries do not allow it's citizens to own anything in military calibers Brazil for example is limited to .380

Tere is a global market, some countries do not allow it's citizens to own anything in military calibers Brazil for example is limited to .380

I can't imagine Glock cares about Brazil and other unfortunate countries.

Why they made it, I'll never understand??

I'm going to try and shoot it asap, but with work and the kids, it most likely won't be for some time. The mags hold six and are under 3.5" long and are just about 5/8" wide. Hopefully they make extensions for more rounds.

I prefer Glocks. I've used them at work for a long time and have never had any issues with them. During Quals, I've seen firsthand failures of M&Ps and Sigs year after year. I have never seen a Glock fail during qual, except for operator error once. I own S&W and Sigs, but from my experience Glock has never failed me. Individual experiences vary obviously, so this is just my opinion.

Europe also. Glock has produced the G25 and 28 in .380 for offshore, for decades

This is why their previous .380 models were not legal for sale in the US, they were too small for importation.

The new model 42 is made here in the USA:

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g42

The new GLOCK 42, in .380 AUTO, is a slimline subcompact pistol engineered with the GLOCK Perfection promise and able to withstand the rigors of routine training. Made in the USA, the G42 is the smallest pistol GLOCK has ever introduced, making it ideal for pocket carry and shooters with smaller hands. Years of requests across market groups for a super-concealable, reliable single-stack .380 GLOCK pistol prompted extensive research and development to bring the GLOCK customer the G42.

Same reason the Walther PPK couldn't be imported after GCA 68', it didn't meet the minimum size requirements for "sporting" purposes. Walther got around it by building the PPK/S, which was just a tad longer in the grip, but enough to meet the importation requirements. They also licensed US companies to build the PPK and PPK/S models here in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom