• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GLOCK 42 first impressions

I like the PM9 and XDs, but glock is my #1 so I'm glad they finally came out with something smaller like this. It will last forever as Glocks do and will eat anything you feed it.

Seeing how it is a brand new gun who knows what it will "eat" yet.... No tract record on this platform. I put my XDS45 next to it and it was almost the same size and it's a 45!

Pfff...should a been a 9

I agree poor choice on their part.

Pfff...should a been a 9

I bet Glock had "engineering issues" with this design in 9mm. That's what I "smell" at least. I bet they released the .380 because it's "safe" in terms of not tarnishing their reputation. I'd rather see them release something that's good rather than a "possible" turd, too.. The Gen4 rollout probably cost them a lot of money and I would bet someone doesn't want to repeat that gaffe again.

-Mike

If they last forever, why do police departments keep trading them in for newer ones every few years ???

Because Glock pretty much pays them to do this, or heavily subsidizes it. Glock comes in, buys up the old guns, sells them in bulk to CDNN, summit, or whoever, and sells the PD new guns for short money, often throwing holsters and duty gear into the mix. They probably just move them up frame generations on every "upgrade". Glock uses LE agencies as a focal point of its marketing strategy.

There's also the problem in government (even smaller governments) where if someone's budget has a line item in it for guns and ammo and the PD doesn't burn all of that up every year, or at least a good chunk of it, then "obviously they didn't need that money" and the town or whatever subdivision/entity it is will react by taking that money away. [laugh]

-Mike

What?? The single stack .380 is the Glock you've been waiting for??? Really???

Simply business. If they go .380 first everyone who wants a slim pocket glock will buy one, the when they go and make a pocket nine, the same people and more will buy the nine also. Go nine first and no one will buy the 380.

If they last forever, why do police departments keep trading them in for newer ones every few years ???

Departments change to whichever pistol they can get a deal on. They don't always carry a pistol based off its ablity to keep running, its usally is based off the dollar amount. Lots of departments even the state are going to the M&P and I can bet you smith is just about giving them away just to get into the market. NC state police use the M&P in 357sig and I hear now they are having all kinds wear issues with the frames and are looking to swtich.

Simply business. If they go .380 first everyone who wants a slim pocket glock will buy one, the when they go and make a pocket nine, the same people and more will buy the nine also. Go nine first and no one will buy the 380.

exactly what I was thinking... If they came out with the 9mm 1st how many would choose the 380 over the 9mm. Sig did the same thing with the 238 and the 938.

exactly what I was thinking... If they came out with the 9mm 1st how many would choose the 380 over the 9mm. Sig did the same thing with the 238 and the 938.

I believe I said this exact same thing in QueenBee's previous thread about the G42

who wants a 380 anyway??

If someone can't carry a single stack 9mm comfortably then there's no hope.

Pussification of America.

I shot one at MFS the other week. It was novel. And pretty small. My Sig P238 was a bit smaller and I think a better shooting gun overall. I would not replace my Sig with the Glock, however for Glock fans might like it.

I had a G27 years ago, I thought it was a pain to carry and sold it for a S&W 337 .38. No regrets.

I like Hickok45 as much as the next guy, but this is bound to be epic.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed that Miculek has been putting his finger on the trigger guard when shooting; any benefits of doing this?

I've noticed that Miculek has been putting his finger on the trigger guard when shooting; any benefits of doing this?

I've read there's only a couple of pros who do that although they advice against it when teaching others. I myself used to do it naturally when started shooting but trained myself to stop after I read it was sometimes called a European grip :)

I don't know what you all are bitching about. They obviously drew straws and Remington got to make the nine.

I have handled a G42, pretty cool. Now I'm a Glock guy all the way, BUT...I do own and love my S&W shield, I think it feels better for a small single stack and its available in 9 and 40. I don't think I would trade my shield for the G42. Only thing I don't like about the shield is the manual safety but I can live with it. Just my 2 cents

It's just too big for being a .380. Considering the caliber and capacity, it should be smaller than it is.

It's just too big for being a .380. Considering the caliber and capacity, it should be smaller than it is.

Yup.

Like Eric at iraqveteran8888 said. It's good for Glock for redesigning their product, it's not like any other Glock out there. I can smell a single stack 9 coming and it will be awesome.

He did make one good point though. "I'd rather see someone carrying a 380 everyday than a 9mm every other day". It's true. Consistent carry is important and if you're not buying a gun to match your optimal size , it's stupid.

Not impressed because I hate 380. Reminds me of the PK380. Big 380, it's ironic.

Nice little interview with the Gunny before Iraqveteran8888 shoots the G41 & G42.

This is like the 3rd or 4th time I have heard people who have shot it saying that the G42 has a tendency to shoot left and you need to compensate for it. Not sure I like hearing that.

http://youtu.be/9DCIGjKNdzg

who wants a 380 anyway??

If someone can't carry a single stack 9mm comfortably then there's no hope.

Pussification of America.

There are plenty of people lacking in hand strength to load + control a 9mm, this will be a tad easier for
them to deal with. I bet the recoil spring is not nearly as heavy as it is on most subcompact 9mm handguns. It's also a
locked breech .380, which shoots like a pussycat compared to the abusive direct-blowback guns usually in this size class.

More is better. And this paves the way for them to make a 9mm down the road. Maybe they'll even go full retard and make a .40 and a .357 Sig single stacks, too. [laugh]

-Mike

I'm disappointed this wasn't a 9mm, but it may yet be a good option for my wife when I get her into carrying later this year.

Posted from my car phone.

Back
Top Bottom