Glock 19 Alternatives?

So I am likely to buy a used Glock 19. I've heard I can have a used Glock refurbished for free -- I just need to pay shipping (~$60?), no questions asked. Is this true? Does this mean I can buy any G19, and then ship it off to Glock to have it rebuilt like-new? If so, that'd be sweet [smile]

Pretty much. You only have to pay them money if you want the slide refinished. Most of the time it isn't necessary.

If you have an FFL you are on good terms with, you can pay them to ship it and it will cost you less money because they can priority mail it. (only FFLs can send handguns through priority mail).

-Mike

OK, another vote for the 23->19 conversion [smile] Now, is it just the barrel you need to convert? I've heard you need to use the 9mm magazines too. Is there anything else that needs to be converted to make it shoot 9mm rounds reliably?

Thanks!

OK, another vote for the 23->19 conversion [smile] Now, is it just the barrel you need to convert? I've heard you need to use the 9mm magazines too. Is there anything else that needs to be converted to make it shoot 9mm rounds reliably?

Thanks!

you will have to use 9mm mags, 9mm wont fit in 40 mags. Other than that and the barrel swap you should be fine.

Thanks!

Try just the barrel & mags, if it works then you are good to go. My brother has a Storm Lake barrel for his G27 and it has been 100% reliable with 9mm mags. If you are going to bet your life on the weapon, you may want to change the ejector and extractor. Below is a link to a Glocktalk forum thread regarding this very question.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1120180

Is it necessary to use 9mm mags in a .40 to 9mm conversion? Is it the OAL of the rounds that makes using different mags necessary?

So I am likely to buy a used Glock 19. I've heard I can have a used Glock refurbished for free -- I just need to pay shipping (~$60?), no questions asked. Is this true? Does this mean I can buy any G19, and then ship it off to Glock to have it rebuilt like-new? If so, that'd be sweet [smile]

Yeah you can do that......I bought a used glock...once...and the guy on the phone at glock told me it's just a quick surface refinish though, not a factory job. They will repair/replace any parts they deem unsuitable.

Of course.....with 60 bucks on shipping you can replace and customize a lot of parts yourself and wipe on some cold blue......

To the OP....look around there are plenty of G19's in MA.....

If the opportunity to own an HK USP45 had not appeared, I would have certainly purchased an M&P45. Even though MA has a bone up it's ass about high capacity mags, carrying 11-rounds of Gold Dots, is heap big boom-boom....I know Glock fanboys may disagree, but personally I find the M&P to be superior in grip angle, ergonomics and adaptability to individual shooters hands. have Greg Derr work the trigger for you and I think you will find a wise decision in the M&P...

I hate to be the only one, as the rest of you seem like Glock fans but our special weapons team switched from a Sig to a Glock Practical Tactical. It was the only gun that we ever broke! The Sig p220and 226 were flawless. The Springfield Operator model we use now has been great. The glock suffered broken guide rods and other failures repeatedly. I don't know how they earned their reputation for durability.
Glock would probably make a decent regular duty gun but as for tactical duty I can't recommend them.

I hate to be the only one, as the rest of you seem like Glock fans but our special weapons team switched from a Sig to a Glock Practical Tactical. It was the only gun that we ever broke! The Sig p220and 226 were flawless. The Springfield Operator model we use now has been great. The glock suffered broken guide rods and other failures repeatedly. I don't know how they earned their reputation for durability.
Glock would probably make a decent regular duty gun but as for tactical duty I can't recommend them.

I don't think you're the only one at all...As a proud borrower of a Sig220, all I can say is: Wow! A Sig would be another excellent choice. I dumped 10k and then some down my Glock 22 and liked it, but never really loved it. Grip angle was wrong for me and the grip itself had to be supplemented with a slide-on rubber boot. I did however get the opportunity to handle a new Glock the other day and it felt better. "Glock Perfection" never really applied to me - I just never got it. Then one day, I picked up an M&P and all seemed right in the polymer framed pistol world...Now with an HK USP45, all is perfect...

Yeah... this is good advice. Getting a semi-auto is expensive, so if I'm going to shell out the cash, best get exactly what I want.

How pricey? The place I was at today quoted me ~$800 for the Glock 19, if they ever happen to get one to sell me.

Lets see. Dealer cost is $430. I think you are really taking it up the wazoo! Retail is around $500.

I agree with Glockaholic..... $800 for a Glock! You gotta be kidding! Fortunately I have a whole collection left to me by my Dad but I just can't see paying $800 for a Glock. They're great pistols BUT! Dad left me a G22, G36, G30, G17, G19 and a G29, Dad (RIP) liked Glocks (he didn't live in MA either)

I ended up buying a G19 from a GunBroker auction for $389 + $18 shipping -- 2nd generation with night sights (was a police trade-in). I plan on sending it off to Glock for free refurbishing to make it feel "new" [smile]

Thanks for all the offers and help!

Next up on the to-do list:
* wait for my license to come in
* buy a holster
* buy a lockbox and figure out how to bolt it to my floor
* practice practice practice! [smile]

Glock 19

Hunter's Trading Post gets them in on occasion. The last one they had there was $595 with 2 hi caps

Yankee Artifacts has 2 Glock 17s One is $325.00 and the other is $475.00. They also have a 23 for $450.00. Four seasons has two 23s for $525.00 and 4 17s for $600.00. They also have a bunch of 26s for $700.00. They have new M&P 9mm and .40 caliber in compact and full size for $520.00-$530.00.I've shot them with Ma triggers and after a trigger job. If you can hit anything with that awful Ma trigger,you're a better man than I.

I guess I am in the double minority.
I traded in the G19 for a pair of M&P's, a 9 and a 9c.
I have no issues with the triggers.
If you really want a Glock, they are in the NES classifieds all the time.

I have both the Glock 19 (was looking for the full size 17) and the M&P9 full size. Bought the 9mm's for the range gun as I have the M&P40c as my carry piece.

I shoot the Glock very well but I hate the way it feels in my hands. It is lighter than the Smith but I hate the dot and U shaped sights. The M&P feels good and natural in my hands but I hate the trigger. I will be sending it out for a trigger job then I will make my decision on which one I will keep. I like having hi-cap mags with the Glock. But I like the full size for the range. We will see in a few weeks when I get the trigger done on the Smith.

Wait until you find what you really want. Talking about prices, I have no idea about the prices up in MA, but for sure I will spend more money for what I want than buy something that I don't really like.

Yes, like some body said, $800 it is a high price for the G-19 if you compare that price with the prices in other states. I paid $526 including taxes and 2 extra mags for my brand new out of the box G-19 down in FL, but if I was living in MA, I have no doubt in my mind that I will spend the $800.

Ish.

To the OP....look around there are plenty of G19's in MA.....

My G17 was less than 500 in mass.. keep looking.

For whatever reason, G19's in Mass. sell like hotcakes, and they're pricey. I'ts a great gun, but it's a bit of a unicorn here.

Now if you wanted a 2nd gen G22 you can find all you want here, but for whatever reason those G19's are popular.

I have the Walther P99c for a CCW. It is a great piece when you can't carry a big gun. I've taken it to the range several times now and I always hit the inner 2 on the paper. Make sure you get the extended clip to stabilize.

There is a Mass Compliant Glock 19 on GunBroker RIGHT NOW for $599 located in Mass at Tackle Unlimited. Says it's exellent condition. I think the price is tollerable but not great. But it's better than $800 like most other people want for a Mass Glock in nice shape. http://http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148833058 I say you go for it and just get what you want. He has other Mass legal Glocks if you look at his other listings. HTH

Bold statement after a sample of what? Five?

For the record, your statement cannot be true because there are at least two M&Ps in the known universe that do not need one: both of mine.

Six pound triggers out of the box. Relatively smooth and decent reset.

If you lived in a state when normal-capacity magazines are available, here's your alternative:

DSC00610.jpg

so, the OP lives in MA, and has to deal with MA typical BS (like the trigger and 10 round mags). So, my question to you, is: Why would anyone give a flying EFF, about what someone "could do" in a free state, if that person does not live in a free state?

I expect an "Ohio is the best" type of answer shortly. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom