Glock 19 Alternatives?

Hey all,

I am in the process of getting my Massachusetts license, and I stopped by a gun shop today. I had my heart set on a Glock 19, but the shop claims they are almost impossible to find. [crying]

Should I just wait until I find a Glock 19? ...or do decent alternatives exist?

I love how the Glock 19 has a 4" barrel, but still is very light and small. It also has a great reliability and durability track record.

The Walther P99 seems to be the closest thing I can find. It is slightly heavier and bigger, and I'm not sure how reliable it is compared to the Glock 19?

The Ruger SR9 is bigger still..

I like the FNP-9, and maybe even the Springfield XD9 -- but these are not Massachusetts compliant, I don't think... [thinking]

What else out there is worthy and similar to the Glock 19? Or should I just stick it out until a Glock 19 shows up?

Thanks in advance!

efl-large.jpg

Be patient and keep an eye out, they aren't that hard to find. However, if you want to look at other options the S&W M&P 9 fullsize fits right in between the 17 and 19 in terms of size. The only valid strikes against it are 1) the trigger 2) lack of pre-ban hi-cap magazines. The first is easily dealt with. For the second you have to decide how important that feature is to you.

Be patient and keep an eye out, they aren't that hard to find. However, if you want to look at other options the S&W M&P 9 fullsize fits right in between the 17 and 19 in terms of size.
Don't judge the M&P by its MA trigger... It's horrible out of the box and its not the gun's fault...

With a $65 trigger job it is a very nice gun... Make sure you fire one with a trigger job before you decide where to place it in comparison with the Glock...

Of course, you can usually find Glocks around... Just have to pay too much for used hardware... [sad2]

I waited a few months before I found a nice g19, do yourself the favor and wait or you will end up doing what myself and all my friends do. You get impatient, buy a gun and sell it a few months later because its not what your really wanted.

I love my glock if I could have one gun I would sell the rest and keep the glock.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv334/jj2thouand/glockside_web-1.gif

Last edited:
The only valid strikes against it are 1) the trigger 2) lack of pre-ban hi-cap magazines. The first is easily dealt with.

Don't judge the M&P by its MA trigger... It's horrible out of the box and its not the gun's fault...

With a $65 trigger job it is a very nice gun... Make sure you fire one with a trigger job before you decide where to place it in comparison with the Glock...

I agree: See above. I love my compact and full size [smile] LaRocca did my full size and Derr did my compact.

Of course, you can usually find Glocks around... Just have to pay too much for used hardware... [sad2]

I agree. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a used gun. I got both my M&P's from the NES classifieds from people who didn't like the trigger ($375 full size, and $400 for compact). Their loss, my gain, I basically paid for a new gun and got the trigger job for free!

I waited a few months before I found a nice g19, do yourself the favor and wait or you will end up doing what myself and all my friends do. You get impatient, buy a gun and sell it a few months later because its not what your really wanted.

Yeah... this is good advice. Getting a semi-auto is expensive, so if I'm going to shell out the cash, best get exactly what I want.

Hunters Trading Post in Weymouth has a G19. Pricey, but they have it.

How pricey? The place I was at today quoted me ~$800 for the Glock 19, if they ever happen to get one to sell me.

Glock 26.

I was shown this gun, and I did like it. However, I'm primarily getting a gun for home defense/target shooting, and the Glock 26 is just a bit smaller than I'd like (short barrel/short sights/felt small in my hand etc.)

I agree. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a used gun.

Yeah, they said Glocks you buy today are "rebuilt". Does this mean they have at least new(er) parts? I hear parts are very available for Glocks, and they are just amazingly durable to boot -- so buying one of these used wouldn't be a big downside, no?

It took about 2 months of searching for me to get my G19, and I had to drive all the way out to Boston to get it, but I did get it. You can find one at a tolerable price if you're patient. Not a great price, but tolerable.

There are plenty of G19s out there, espically if don't only want a 3rd gen. I have an M&P 9mm compact. It's nice, but the lack of legal hi-caps is a bummer.

Just watch the classified here

I have seen used ones on this website for 400.00 In Ma. Those are mostly 2nd generation models but they are out there. If its what you really want just keep looking. Also If you post a Want to buy add I bet you could have a hand full of offers in a weeks time.

Wtb G19 In Ma. Cash and a Fa-10 In hand. X-mass is coming people sell a lot of shit this time of year.

How do I know I'm getting a "good" used G19? Is it safe to assume all used Glock 19s are a good buy because Glocks are that good? ...I can just buy cheap replacement parts if needed, right?

Or is there more to it? (I'm assuming there is [smile])

I have a Glock 17 & 26. There not my best handguns but they sure take a beating. My Glock 26 is my carry gun at work and I bump into to stuff with it all day. It gets dirty and wet but it always fires. I have pretty thick fingers and would prefer to carry the Glock 17, ( I carry the Glock 17 in winter when I'm wearing more than a tee shirt ) but the Glock 26 is manageable. Keep checking the Four Seasons Used Gun page ( http://fsguns.com/used/ ) a couple times a week, one will come up. I bought the Kel Tec Sub 2000 last month because it takes the same mags as the Glock 26,19 & 17. For the money, it's a ballsy little compact rifle. I have a Glock 19 on my list but I have quite a few other guns to get before that.

Happiness is a warm gun. John Lennon

I'm sorry if I am sounding like a broken record but no Glock is worth more than MSRP. I know you MA residents are grabbing your ankles on a regular basis but 800 bucks for a Glock, that's insanity.

It is the toyota of firearms, don't pay Porsche prices for one.

A M&P is a worthy alternative, just budget for a trip to Marshfield to drop it off at Greg Derr's shop with 65 bucks, and you will get back a really nice functional polymer pistol with grip adaptability, something Glock is now just attempting to do with the 4th generation model 22.

800 bucks will get you into Sig, Beretta, or other higher end semi auto.
Don't get me wrong I like Glocks, but I have Beretta's, Sig's and S&W's that when I handle shoot them it's like driving my wife's Porsche, compared to any of my Glocks, which is like driving my Solara.

Last edited:
S&W M&P + a trigger job and you'll be all set.

It is a pretty decent gun, just a bit bigger than I was hoping for [thinking] Although the barrel is longer, which has its advantages. It sounds like the S&W M&P9 would be difficult to conceal compared to the G19, though.

I only really want to have one gun that I am good with, and primarily a home defense/target shooting gun. I don't want to buy a S&W M&P9, and then wish I got a G19 instead [thinking] However, I also don't know if I'd be perfectly happy with an M&P9 and never miss the G19 [thinking][thinking][thinking]

A good point people are raising is.. I could wait for a G19, find one, and end up paying for a "used" $800+ gun -- or I could have a new S&W M&P9 / Walther P99 for cheaper quickly. But, the G19 is "perfection" [smile]... tough call!

Get the gun you want. As someone said, try out an M&P9. Maybe you'll find you like it as much as the G19. Then half your problem is solved [wink]

You should consider the M&P9c. It's a great gun and only slightly smaller than the G19. The full size M&P 9 is concealable but not as easily as the compact or the G19.
Disclaimer: I've owned all three but I only have the G19 still. It's the best gun for me of the three--the one I shoot the best and I like Glock's reputation for reliability. Reasonably priced 2nd Gen G19's are out there if you have your mind set on a Glock and don't care about the light rail. They pop up now and then in the classifieds as well as in shops. I paid $550 for my factory refurbished G19 about a year ago at a local dealer. You could also look for a pre-98 one out of state (they are very reasonably priced in the free world) and have it shipped to a MA dealer. I got my G26 that way for $475.00 about 3 months ago.

You should consider the M&P9c. It's a great gun and only slightly smaller than the G19. The full size M&P 9 is concealable but not as easily as the compact or the G19.
Disclaimer: I've owned all three but I only have the G19 still. It's the best gun for me of the three--the one I shoot the best and I like Glock's reputation for reliability. Reasonably priced 2nd Gen G19's are out there if you have your mind set on a Glock and don't care about the light rail. They pop up now and then in the classifieds as well as in shops. I paid $550 for my factory refurbished G19 about a year ago at a local dealer. You could also look for a pre-98 one out of state (they are very reasonably priced in the free world) and have it shipped to a MA dealer. I got my G26 that way for $475.00 about 3 months ago.

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold out for the G19. I'll try on the Walther P99 and S&W M&P9 to see if there are any sparks.. but something tells me I'll always be wishing I had what I always wanted... a G19. [smile]

Don't assume you want it until you've shot it. I had my heart set on a 92fs, shot it once, and ended up buying a p226. There's no sense in forming an emotional attachment and puritanical devotion to a gun you've never used. Ask around, find them, try them. It isn't always possible, but try to avoid buying something because of some numbers on a piece of paper.

How do I know I'm getting a "good" used G19? Is it safe to assume all used Glock 19s are a good buy because Glocks are that good? ...I can just buy cheap replacement parts if needed, right?

Or is there more to it? (I'm assuming there is [smile])

We own 3 Glocks and I own 3 M&Ps.

- The M&Ps feel better in my hand and since all 3 have had trigger jobs done on them, I shoot them better than any Glock.

- What fits your hand best and you can shoot best (given a trigger job is NECESSARY on ANY M&P), is going to be the "right solution" for YOU! My solution may not work for you and vice versa.

- G17 was bought by my Wife as a PD turn-in, spare gun, probably never fired, 2nd Gen. NO parts on that gun were ever changed out, it was like factory new. After probably 5-700 rds, some parts broke in the trigger assembly. A very competent Glock gunsmith (you know who you are [smile], thank you) had Glock ship in all the latest rev parts and the gun is now fine.

- G22 was bought as a Factory Refurb. Looks and runs fine.

- G23 was bought used. The locking block on it was cracked in two. Same Glock gunsmith (thanks again) had Glock ship all replacement parts and took care of it for me.

Used guns can't guarantee no problems but companies like Glock and S&W will take care of any problems at no cost to you (although Glock won't pay shipping to them, ~$60 ). S&W will pay shipping both ways.

a trigger job is NECESSARY on ANY M&P
Bold statement after a sample of what? Five?

For the record, your statement cannot be true because there are at least two M&Ps in the known universe that do not need one: both of mine.

Six pound triggers out of the box. Relatively smooth and decent reset.

Back
Top Bottom