Glock 19 Alternatives?

A Sig 229 is about the same size as a G19. It gives up two rounds of capacity but it gets you a much better trigger and overall better feel, IMO.

A Sig 229 is about the same size as a G19. It gives up two rounds of capacity but it gets you a much better trigger and overall better feel, IMO.

The P229 is somewhat wider (and heavier) than a G19 is.

It might not seem like much, but it ends up being a noticeable difference when you carry it around all day.

There isn't much of a direct analog to a G19. Almost every other gun is either too big or too small, or is lacking in capacity. If the OP is trying to find something to replicate
it, he's going to get disappointed trying. (I know this because I've tried to do it... and I keep coming back to the G19!) The only thing that comes close is likely whatever Springfield XD exists in that size class. The Walther P99 is probably close, too, but I bet it's still fatter than the G19 is.

I'll freely admit though that I shoot my P228 better than the G19, on average, especially at a distance. Some of it has to do with the fact that, for whatever reason, that P228 that I have has an unusually good trigger in it. The DA is probably a smooth ten pounds or less and the SA is probably 4 pounds at the most, with a very clean break to it. I'd still rather carry the 19, though.

The capacity thing is kinda moot- if you can find preban mecgar flushfits for the P228/P229, you can get 15 + 1... even if you can't, you could get the mecgar spring and follower and retrofit an existing 13 rnd preban to hold that capacity, making it the same as the G19. There's still the size/weight difference, though.

The sigs are definitely "worth a visit". Some folks I know, that's all they carry.. can't say that I blame them. When I first got my LTC, all I carried was my Sig P239/9, P229/.40, and P226/9mm. All worked out well.

-Mike

Last edited:

But you have to deal with the heavy DA first trigger pull and the much higher bore axis, resulting in more muzzle flip. I've had bought and sold 2 Sigs. They just don't work for me.

But you have to deal with the heavy DA first trigger pull and the much higher bore axis, resulting in more muzzle flip. I've had bought and sold 2 Sigs. They just don't work for me.

DAK trigger isn't as light as a Glock trigger, but it is a lot lighter than the DA pull on a stock Sig trigger.

Bold statement after a sample of what? Five?

For the record, your statement cannot be true because there are at least two M&Ps in the known universe that do not need one: both of mine.

Six pound triggers out of the box. Relatively smooth and decent reset.

Len is right.

I tried the stock M+P (non MA) trigger on a couple of times... it still needs work, to put it mildly. The stock trigger is way better than the crappy
MA trigger is, but it's still suboptimal.

The reset is not very positive, not to mention too long- (I short stroked the thing about a half dozen times until I got used to it) and there was still a fair amount of crunch and grit there.

Good trigger work on an M+P will transform it into a whole new pistol. It's
worth the effort, or a trip to the gunsmith. To me, a stock M+P trigger
is just as bad as a typical Glock trigger, with a crappier, far worse reset to
it. Get it worked over, though, and it's a whole different ballgame.

Awhile back I sold one of my 1911s to a guy here, and he had a Burwell-ized M+P.... I dry fired the thing... I think the word that came out of my mouth at that point was something along the lines of "Damn, that's good. "

-Mike

You can't buy a DAK trigger in MA. Doesn't the DAK trigger also have a pretty long stroke and funky reset?

Most recent DA/SA Sigs can be converted to DAK (you can even find the parts and instructions online). I find the trigger to be a fairly standard DA pull. It can be considered long with the basic trigger, but a "short" trigger can solve that (something I need to do, owing to my small hands).

You can't buy a DAK trigger in MA.

Have you looked at our classifieds lately? [laugh] Not to mention I can call 3 different people and get a DAK conversion done, if I wanted.

Doesn't the DAK trigger also have a pretty long stroke and funky reset?

DAK = turns it into a revolver with a lightweight, but long trigger. The funky reset is only for "panic shooting"- eg, it's there so that if someone short strokes it under stress, the gun will still fire, at a cost of an extra 2-3 pounds of pull.

-Mike

Have you looked at our classifieds lately? [laugh] Not to mention I can call 3 different people and get a DAK conversion done, if I wanted.

I tried to get my 226 converted to DAK, but it was too old.

How much for DAK conversion? Last I heard, it was rather pricey.

I tried to get my 226 converted to DAK, but it was too old.

How much for DAK conversion? Last I heard, it was rather pricey.

It depends on where you get the parts. The best deal is to find some guy that hates his DAK trigger and wants to go the other way- then you can
literally just swap parts with the guy. (rare, but it does happen once in awhile. )

-Mike

If you run into a glock 23 for a decent price buy that and get a 9mm conversion barrel.
Its the same frame.
The 23s seem to be easier to find now and 100-200 cheaper.

If you lived in a state when normal-capacity magazines are available, here's your alternative:

DSC00610.jpg

If you run into a glock 23 for a decent price buy that and get a 9mm conversion barrel.
Its the same frame.

Interesting idea... how expensive are the conversion kits, and how do they compare to having a real stock G19? I'd worry my converted 23 wouldn't be as reliable as a G19... has anyone done this conversion before here to report how effective it is?

Check Gunbroker and AuctionArms for 2nd gen G19s and have them shipped here to a dealer. Another off beat way is to go to a gunshow in another state, find a MA Compliant G19 and have that dealer ship it to a MA dealer. I went to a gunshow in Houston a few years back and was amazed at the pre-98 Glocks available.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=143199631

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=143068971

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9367848&oh=

Last edited:

[rofl][rofl][laugh2] *don't hate*

Interesting idea... how expensive are the conversion kits, and how do they compare to having a real stock G19? I'd worry my converted 23 wouldn't be as reliable as a G19... has anyone done this conversion before here to report how effective it is?

i've run about 500 rounds (est) in my G23 through my 40 to 9mm conversion barrel from Lonewolf. no issues, ouside of erratic ejection patterns. i use G19 mags as I don't care to run 9mm through my G23 mags, but the .40 mags work as well [smile]

There are no alternatives to what you want.. If you have your heart set on a G19, then wait for one.. A S&W M&P is not the same gun, not even close..

Take a good look at the M&P, I have one that I bought mainly because it is totally southpaw friendly and I have been very satisfied so far. It also doesn't hurt that it is made in the USA. I have also owned several Glocks, a 17,19 and 36 and was never disappointed.
You could always relocate to NH like I did and visit Rileys Gun Shop in Hooksett. They have many Glocks new and used and it won't cost you a week's pay for one! GOOD LUCK!

Yep NH is great, I did pay a little too much for my first G22 from a NES member, but it had a KKM barrel, steel guide rod, new spring, and adjustable target sights, but it was till way less than you MA residents are paying.

I got a 2nd gen G22 and a G26 this summer for 400 each, and I know both of the sellers are fanatical about the condition of their guns.

Its the same frame.

+1

The one thing people do not think of when purchasing a MP 9/40/45 over the G19/G23 is mag capacity. You can find pre-ban full capacity mags for almost all models except the 357 (i think)...with the MP products you are stuck with "10 or less" as there is no such thing as a pre-ban full capacity mag.

ps. I own both glocks and MP's, they are both nice guns but glocks are better IMHO...and if I could not own glocks the MP's would be my first choice but only in 45. The real selling point of 9mm is capacity, if you cant have that due to assachusetss law then get the 45.

So I am likely to buy a used Glock 19. I've heard I can have a used Glock refurbished for free -- I just need to pay shipping (~$60?), no questions asked. Is this true? Does this mean I can buy any G19, and then ship it off to Glock to have it rebuilt like-new? If so, that'd be sweet [smile]

Back
Top Bottom