Glad I'm a gun owner - might have beat a home invasion

If they were really looking for trouble, the guys would have been at the door and the young women would have been in the car. Glad you were careful, though. A good reaction to an unknown situation with many potential outcomes!

I would have kept the gun concealed and I like the idea of the portable phone handed outside.

Wow - sounds like the classic home invasion set up to me...

Couple thing to think about

Never open the door. If you don't know them AND there is a car running in the drive with two males ...really don't even open it a crack.

I would not have indicated you were going to let them in. They could have signaled the guys in the car while you were getting your Glock, then you'd be faced with a whole other problem when you returned,

I would have kept the gun hidden for tactical reasons, but I would have had it when first going to the door.

If you could see it, take down the plate number. If they were HI types, it may have been stolen. I would have called the local cops to let them know what happened.

Well done - good job

If they were really looking for trouble, the guys would have been at the door and the young women would have been in the car. Glad you were careful, though.

My guess is that the babes were scoping out who's home, alarms, dogs, valuables inside the home, types of locks, etc. because your more likely to grant access to a couple of chics than a couple of guys, while the guys were outside looking for where to enter the house. The author of this thread is not out of the clear yet by any means at all. In fact my opinion is that the gun cleaning comment, while at first might have sounded somewhat witty, probably made him an even better target to hit next time he goes away on vacation or leaves home for periods of time. The only saving grace being the dogs.

If they were really looking for trouble, the guys would have been at the door and the young women would have been in the car.

The scenario that I had heard of was where the girls got entry into the home and while on the phone the guys would come up to the door. The guys would enter and at that time they would have you from two angles and proceed with the invasion. Pretty good strategy actually.

i had never even thought of people using that strategy.

it makes me nervous here because my neighborhood is basically seasonal homes...

It's scary for me to say that your are the first bc grad that I actually respect and look forward to meeting.[laugh] And all this time I thought that none of the buildings on the bc campus had stairs because, after-all, fairies can fly.[rofl]

UMASS '74

I've noticed that there are BC grads, and those who secretly wish they were! This is the second time you have busted my chops about being a BC grad you know...

[crying]

If I'm not expecting someone a gun is on my person.

I also would never, ever open a door for someone unless you know who they
are or are reasonably certain about their intent.

I think you did well WRT smelling something fishy going on there- when people want something from strangers they get to the point. Not knowing where they were going, etc, is a big red flag.

Wanting to use the phone (these days) is also a big red flag, with maybe a
rare exception for a bad accident or something, even then, I would be suspicious...

-Mike

My guess is that the babes were scoping out who's home, alarms, dogs, valuables inside the home, types of locks, etc. because your more likely to grant access to a couple of chics than a couple of guys, while the guys were outside looking for where to enter the house. The author of this thread is not out of the clear yet by any means at all. In fact my opinion is that the gun cleaning comment, while at first might have sounded somewhat witty, probably made him an even better target to hit next time he goes away on vacation or leaves home for periods of time. The only saving grace being the dogs.

This is my feeling actually. I don't think that they would have robbed me then, more that they were scoping out my house to see security, valuables, etc.

Point of fact - I opened the main front door, but there is also a locked storm door behind that I spoke to the two girls through.

Interesting, but after calling my home security company about it yesterday, I just got a call from a rep at the company who wants to upsell me on video cameras. I'm thinking about it!!!

The scenario that I had heard of was where the girls got entry into the home and while on the phone the guys would come up to the door. The guys would enter and at that time they would have you from two angles and proceed with the invasion. Pretty good strategy actually.

That's my understanding of how that particular scenario plays out.[hmmm]

This is my feeling actually. I don't think that they would have robbed me then, more that they were scoping out my house to see security, valuables, etc.

Point of fact - I opened the main front door, but there is also a locked storm door behind that I spoke to the two girls through.

Interesting, but after calling my home security company about it yesterday, I just got a call from a rep at the company who wants to upsell me on video cameras. I'm thinking about it!!!

Make no mistake, if you'd have let the girls in, we'd have heard about this on the evening news. They would have robbed you there and then. Why risk being spotted by a neighbour on a return visit? I think you had a very close call there sir!

If I'm not expecting someone a gun is on my person.

I also would never, ever open a door for someone unless you know who they
are or are reasonably certain about their intent.

I think you did well WRT smelling something fishy going on there- when people want something from strangers they get to the point. Not knowing where they were going, etc, is a big red flag.

Wanting to use the phone (these days) is also a big red flag, with maybe a
rare exception for a bad accident or something, even then, I would be suspicious...

-Mike

+1 to that Mike...

Bad things can happen if you open the door to strangers wanting to use a phone...as personified by a gleefully malevolent Malcolm McDowell in the film version of Anthony Burgess chilling novel. If you haven't seen this, it is a tad disturbing...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/memorable-scenes-home-invasion-a-clockwork-orange-1971/888965036

Interesting scenario - and certainly one that could happen to anyone. My take on this:

- I would be just as supicious about the whole thing - young people with no cell phone!!!

- I would not let strangers know I have guns it the house, if avoidable. Your house becomes a target for later.

- Much as your comment about "cleaning guns" was a good one, it could still be argued that you were "brandishing" and a Police Chief with an agenda could decide you are "unsuitable."
The fact that you were in your own house should be a perfect excuse, but we are talking Massachusetts, right?

I am seriously considering finding a simple, cheap intercom system (Radio Shack) for installation at the front door. If someone claims an emergency, I would volunteer to call the cops and/or ambulance for them, but they are NOT getting through the door.

I need to talk to my family about this.

I am seriously considering finding a simple, cheap intercom system (Radio Shack) for installation at the front door. If someone claims an emergency, I would volunteer to call the cops and/or ambulance for them, but they are NOT getting through the door.

I need to talk to my family about this.

Hadn't thought of that but it sounds like a very, very good idea. If you find one somewhere let me know. I'm sure that it is cheaper than having my security company install one!

On another note, while I hadn't considered that letting it be known I have guns might make me a target (just thought that would scare them off), considering Mass's insane laws, how practical is it for someone to break in and steal guns? My glock is in a safe, and my other guns are in a heavy duty floor safe bolted to the cement floor in my basement.

Granted, if they come in the house while I'm home with a gun to my head, they can get me to open the safe, but if they break in with nobody home, they can't get into that thing, and by the time they do the security company has certainly alerted the police to the break in.

You did better than I would have in that situation. Hindsight is 20-20 and you should look at this as a learning experience. Poeple have given you good advice on how you should handle a similar situation if it ever comes up again. I have learned some things from reading this and will change my behavior as a result.

Maybe not. But if they see the gun and call the police, you might end up having an uncomfortable conversation with the chief concerning suitability. I suggest keeping it concealed when answering the door.

Living in fear will never change the status quo. If you can't use your rights they aren't worth anything. This is why things are going downhill in MA.

On another note, while I hadn't considered that letting it be known I have guns might make me a target (just thought that would scare them off), considering Mass's insane laws, how practical is it for someone to break in and steal guns?

Well you have to remember that them breaking in and stealing your guns might be somewhat deterred by how you secure them but your real problem is that they have already made a decision to make you a target and wether or not they get your guns if they do break in, they will certainly find other things that they will break or take.

Fact is, guns do make you a target to a certain breed of thug who knows he can get cash for them fast. The scary thing is that this kind of thug is armed and ready for you to be armed as well because he knows that what he is trying to take from you can be used to kill him. Not good. You'd be suprised at how many gun shops get broken into.

There is a guy who lives in a nearby town with an FFL and a smail bait/gun shop in his home. Guy goes away for the weekend, comes back, 30+ guns and cases of ammo gone. Some shady people who showed up at a party that their young daughter was having at their house on the friday night told some shadier friends about the gun shop and somewhere word got around to someone willing to do the job. Moral of the story: You don't want word getting around that you have what thugs want in your home.

Don't open carry when coming to the door. The police taking away your LTC is an issue that I won't get into. I'm not a lawyer. But the fact is that if bad guy is armed and sees you coming back with a gun and he is determined to overtake you then and there, bad guy gets to draw first and you can only react. Now, wouldn't you rather have the element of suprising your attacker that you are armed? There was a story not long ago about a guy faking a heart attack, standing back up with his CCW and filling both armed bad guys with lead. That is the strategy.

Last edited:
Living in fear will never change the status quo. If you can't use your rights they aren't worth anything. This is why things are going downhill in MA.

+1 - While I understand that this is a bat shit crazy liberal state, at the time I saw the gun as a HUGE deterent to them trying shananigans, and as it turned out it worked.

I was home with my 2 beautiful baby girls. If the risk was having to explain myself to a LEO vs. actually needing the gun to protect the two most important things in the world to me, I still feel good about it the choice.

Having kept it concealed and just turning them away the next time around is what I learned from all this... yes, 20/20 in hindsight!

The only problem is now they know there are guns at your house, and may watch the place for signs that no one's there. I am armed at all times when I'm awake at home. I would've given 'em the same story I used to give panhandlers in Boston, except instead of telling them I've been unemployed for months, I'd have told them that I haven't had a phone for months because of money issues.

+1 - While I understand that this is a bat shit crazy liberal state, at the time I saw the gun as a HUGE deterent to them trying shananigans, and as it turned out it worked.

I was home with my 2 beautiful baby girls. If the risk was having to explain myself to a LEO vs. actually needing the gun to protect the two most important things in the world to me, I still feel good about it the choice.

Having kept it concealed and just turning them away the next time around is what I learned from all this... yes, 20/20 in hindsight!

Your motivation is a great one and one I totally understand.

Personally, my house has a window on the 2nd floor directly above the front door. I'd just open that and call down to them. You could also try answering the door like this:

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/mr-robinsons-neighborhood/2749/

What benefit is there to carrying openly when answering the door? You show the world that you are a tough guy and this is your political statement? You show the potential perp that you own guns, so maybe he should come back when you are gone to steal your guns?

Pointless.

And good luck appealing an "unsuitable" decision by your chief. Our resident attorneys can tell you the track record for that. But, after you get lose your rights, you can beat your chest about how you didn't accept the status quo.

Yeah, there are some people here on the board who are getting on my nerves because of the whole "Ooooo, don't even think about using your gun cause the Chief may spank you!!" thing. I'd rather be ALIVE to fight for my rights than have my heirs finding out how many guns I left them. I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously thinking of firing up my ignore list again... 'cause reading that shit could well make me hesitate some day for that ONE critical second...

Don't open carry when coming to the door. The police taking away your LTC is an issue that I won't get into. I'm not a lawyer. But the fact is that if bad guy is armed and sees you coming back with a gun and he is determined to overtake you then and there, bad guy gets to draw first and you can only react. Now, wouldn't you rather have the element of suprising your attacker that you are armed? There was a story not long ago about a guy faking a heart attack, standing back up with his CCW and filling both armed bad guys with lead. That is the strategy.
Now, THERE'S a clear, cogent and compelling argument against open carrying when answering the door. Well said, Bobkatt.

Great work. The whole 'no phone' thing screams BS and future B&E.

Personally I'd have already been carrying and would have never opened the door, but that's me.

You should feel good about the choice. I too, would rather explain to the LEO knowing I protected my little miracles. Given the circumstances, even in MA, I am not sure a LEO could make a good argument for brandishing, though the point was made you could be "unsuitable". One thing I know is if the COPs took the unsuitable side in such a matter, I would be out of this commie state as fast as you could say "Liberal Hellhole".

Well you have to remember that them breaking in and stealing your guns might be somewhat deterred by how you secure them but your real problem is that they have already made a decision to make you a target and wether or not they get your guns if they do break in, they will certainly find other things that they will break or take.

Fact is, guns do make you a target to a certain breed of thug who knows he can get cash for them fast. The scary thing is that this kind of thug is armed and ready for you to be armed as well because he knows that what he is trying to take from you can be used to kill him. Not good. You'd be suprised at how many gun shops get broken into.

There is a guy who lives in a nearby town with an FFL and a smail bait/gun shop in his home. Guy goes away for the weekend, comes back, 30+ guns and cases of ammo gone. Some shady people who showed up at a party that their young daughter was having at their house on the friday night told some shadier friends about the gun shop and somewhere word got around to someone willing to do the job. Moral of the story: You don't want word getting around that you have what thugs want in your home.

+1

The fact that you are not the only one on NES to report this type of thing lately is pretty sad.

I was thinking the same thing. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen somebody report something like this here on NES recently. My guns all stay locked up in the safe - I think I will be getting one of those quick access safes so I can have at least one pistol at the quick ready.

maybe I missed it, but I am still wanting to hear the description of the car, to hear if it's similar to the one that tried a similar scam at our house..

W/ respect: easy to say from over the border. I don't have the funds to support litigation to get my LTC reinstated nor do I want to be without it. I'm working class as are most people here.

I think you handled it fine. Well done.

I was thinking the same thing. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen somebody report something like this here on NES recently. My guns all stay locked up in the safe - I think I will be getting one of those quick access safes so I can have at least one pistol at the quick ready.

Last year I crossed the line from the have something at the ready crowd to the have it on you crowd. Way too many curiosities occurring recently to make me confident that I can arm myself during or at the onset of the event. With a good holster its second nature, hidden, and ready with a quick tub.

My wife I am sure believes that I have moved to full paranoia, something I used to laugh at about as well, but having someone force their way into your home isnt a laughing matter at all.

IWB around the house = no visibly paranoid, just prepared.

Back
Top Bottom