Glad I'm a gun owner - might have beat a home invasion

On Sunday morning, I was at home with my 2 year old and 6 month old daughters. We were upstairs playing. My wife was at work. At about 10:30, my dog started to go ballastic barking and then I heard a knock on the door. I ran down quickly to see 2 young girls at my door (late teens early 20s), and a crappy looking car at the end of my driveway with two male passengers in the front.

I did open my door a crack while my dog was barking wildly. What struck me as odd is that he's the most friendly dog in the world and once he sees a "visitor" he usually stops barking and just wags his tail furiously. I asked the girls what they wanted and they said that they wanted to come in and use the phone. They were looking for a friends house and couldn't find it. They also said that their cell phones died. I asked what road they lived on and they said "we don't know the name"

At this point, my radar was WAY on alert because:

--the dog seemed to sense that something was off about them as he was continuing to bark
--two girls were sent to the door while their male counterparts were idling in the car
--they didn't know where they were going (big red flag there)
--in todays age where EVERYBODY had a cell phone, I found it hard to believe that out of 4 people there wasn't one charged phone.

I told them to wait here and that I'd put the dog away because he's been known to bite. I brought him upstairs and grabbed my Glock from the quick safe on my nightstand. I put it in my blackhawk holster and put it on with the paddle. I shut the girls and my dog in the room and went downstairs.

I opend the first door and I could see them through my glass storm door. The gun was clearly in view and they immediately saw it. I started to say, "you can use the phone, but just don't be freaked out because I'm cleaning a few guns, ok?" I couldn't even finish my sentence before they nervously started backing away saying, "we're all set, never mind."

They hopped in the car and took off.

Of course they may have been legit and just needed the phone, but if that was the case it isn't my problem. A few lessons learned. Any suggestions on what I could / should do differently next time?

wow,

sounds like you did everything right. the only thing i could think off is if you can see your door from inside the house, peek first... if you aren't expecting anyone, holster up, peek first...

I opend the first door and I could see them through my glass storm door. The gun was clearly in view and they immediately saw it. I started to say, "you can use the phone, but just don't be freaked out because I'm cleaning a few guns, ok?" I couldn't even finish my sentence before they nervously started backing away saying, "we're all set, never mind."

They hopped in the car and took off.

Of course they may have been legit and just needed the phone, but if that was the case it isn't my problem. A few lessons learned. Any suggestions on what I could / should do differently next time?

I am not a home safety expert or anything, but I have 2 observations.

1) I don't know that it's a good thing to let some punks know you keep guns in the house. That in and of itself could make you a target for a break-in

2) Don't be afraid to just say no. You have no obligation there. You could also just bring a cordless phone to the door and allow them to dial from there. No need to let them in the home.

Last edited:
Nice, but couldn't they go to the police station and complain and have your rights taken away from you in a heart beat, or are you hoping they are too stupid for that?

Was it a red/maroon type , possibly Toyota type car....???
Sounds almost similar to the scene that we had last Summer, and we're not that far from Fitchburg, in Brookline, just north of Townsend....

Last edited:
I had something similar last summer, I never got to the opening door part though. I was going to report it but hubby and stepson claimed the police would laugh at me....after spending time on this web site they realized I had a point. IMHO I might let my police know about 'suspious persons'. What teenager/20ish kid does not have a cell phone? never mind 4 of them.

I would have told the girls to give me the phone# and I would make the call for them and get the address and directions.That way you don't have to let them in or show them you own guns.

I wouldn't have answered the door unarmed, period.
I wouldn't let them see it unless it came down to me drawing on them. Simply displaying a firearm, in a non threatening manner, can be construed as an assault in this state.
"No, find a pay phone" would have ended it.

Thanks for the feedback.

One thing to note is that I have a pretty sophisticated security system for my house. If somebody is going to break in and get past it, they are likely not going to be punk teenage kids and rather be real pros.

As for some other observations, I got the gun out because I thought a) it is an obvious deterent, and b) i was of the understanding that you can open carry on your private property or in your home.

I didn't bother to call the police because in the past they have been useless and non responsive. My neighbor had a similar situation and called the police and the blew it off. We had a huge furniture truck selling hot stuff about a year ago, I called the police who said that they were aware of the truck and that they'd somebody "right away"... 90 minutes later a cruiser showed up. I DID call my home security company and they said that they would send random patrols into the neighborhood to watch things.

My main concern is my wife and daughters. My wife only works about 10 hours a week (and when she does i'm always home with the kids). I'm more worried about a repeat when she is there. The house is locked when we are home and the security system stays on. I also asked her to wear the panic button necklace for a while just to be on the safe side.

Great point about the guns making you a target for a break in. Didn't think about that at the time. Only thought it would be a deterent. At the time, I was only thinking that things really seemed suspicious and that I had two little babies to protect.

Well done. You take care of the little ones! My ex and youngest daughter live in my old house in the woods. There have been a few break-ins in the area and she and I have discussed her getting a firearm. I've even offered to give her one of mine. Hell, my youngest daughter can teach her the safety aspects and how to shoot.

It's scary for me to say that your are the first bc grad that I actually respect and look forward to meeting.[laugh] And all this time I thought that none of the buildings on the bc campus had stairs because, after-all, fairies can fly.[rofl]

UMASS '74

Last edited:
A couple things I would have done differently. First, I would have gotten the gun before answering the door. Second, I don't open the door. Keep it closed and deadbolted. You can speak with them through the door. Third, I never would have offered to let them in the house. No way, no how. They were not in any distress. There was no reason to offer to let them in. Fourth, I never would have let them see a gun until and unless I need to use it -- displaying it could leave you open to legal problems.

As others have suggested, just say no. Or offer to make the call for them.

If you had let them in, chances are they would have tried to separate and distract you. One pretends to make a call and tries to keep you busy, while the other either tries to find your wallet or lets the two males in.

nice job it sounded like a bunch of bullshit when they said did not know where they were going or what street there friends lived on. if you would have let them in i wouldn't have been surprised if the two guys bum rushed the front door.

Fourth, I never would have let them see a gun until and unless I need to use it -- displaying it could leave you open to legal problems.

I can walk around in my house carrying a gun. If I happen to be carrying it when some one comes to my door and sees it, does not constitute assault as far as I know.

I think you done good except for the letting them in part.

If you don't know what street you live on and you do not show visible signs of head trauma you cannot use my phone.

I can walk around in my house carrying a gun. If I happen to be carrying it when some one comes to my door and sees it, does not constitute assault as far as I know.

Maybe not. But if they see the gun and call the police, you might end up having an uncomfortable conversation with the chief concerning suitability. I suggest keeping it concealed when answering the door.

If you don't know what street you live on and you do not show visible signs of head trauma you cannot use my phone.

I wouldn't want them bleeding on my phone. I'd just call 911 while they sit on my front steps. At least the steps can be hosed off.

Maybe not. But if they see the gun and call the police, you might end up having an uncomfortable conversation with the chief concerning suitability. I suggest keeping it concealed when answering the door.

Can anybody here clarify this issue? Even if the potential perps were legit, How could a homeowner know that? I thought being on your own property, especially in it, there is no law requiring concealment.

Can anybody here clarify this issue? Even if the potential perps were legit, How could a homeowner know that? I thought being on your own property, especially in it, there is no law requiring concealment.

There is no law requiring concealment period. However, due to the discretionary licensing policies in MA, if someone reports you as a "man with a gun" the CLEO could decide to revoke your LTC because of suitability issues regardless of where or why it occurred.

There is no law requiring concealment on your own property, HOWEVER we all know the latitude the COP has in determining suitability. Someone making a complaint that Bob P answered the door with a gun on his hip might cause the COP to determine I am not a suitable person and deny my LTC.

I wouldn't have answered the door unarmed, period.
I wouldn't let them see it unless it came down to me drawing on them. Simply displaying a firearm, in a non threatening manner, can be construed as an assault in this state.
"No, find a pay phone" would have ended it.

Well, perhaps anyone can "construe" anything any way they like, but displaying a holstered firearm absent any verbal threat does not meet the Massachusetts definition of assault.

No, there is no law requiring concealment. But, as you probably know, you keep your LTC at the discretion of your police chief. If your police chief decides, for whatever reason, that you are unsuitable, he can revoke your LTC.

Furthermore, if you display your gun with the intent of scaring another person, that may be considered assault with a dangerous weapon. You may find that other people could have a different view of your intent than you do.

Why risk either of these possible scenarios? Just keep it concealed when you answer the door. Throw on a sweater, sweatshirt, vest, extra shirt, whatever before you answer the door.

Back
Top Bottom