Fudd sighting: marshvegas

This thread makes me happy to drive 45min to a "good" non-FUDD club. Last time I was there trying to gauge my accuracy when dumping a 15 round Glock mag as fast as possible, the only comment I had was essentially "cool, what gun is that?" I also used to belong to a club that made you sign in every time and list the calibers you'd be shooting... emphasis on "used to".

[laugh] This is so true!

In Mass....if you drew a fire arm on the guy and forced him to pull over.........who knows what would happen to you! But I'm definately not gonna go right for the gun! Confront the guy first at least.

Guess you have to take each situation as it is unfolding and react how you see fit.......BUT DO SOMETHING! These idiots didn't even friggin ask the guy to pull over........just called the cops from a cell and waited. I'm at least askign the guy to pull over and then go from there.....I'm not going to cower in place and
I was thoroughly confused by the response to the bolded quote, but now I've figured out that you must have taken a wrong turn at Internet Ave and are replying to the wrong thread?

I was thoroughly confused by the response to the bolded quote, but now I've figured out that you must have taken a wrong turn at Internet Ave and are replying to the wrong thread?

YUP! Just edited it...........it was an epic copy/past fail![rofl]

Willbdavis said something earlier in this thread like

Younger people don't want to go to the range and put 6 highly precise shots on a piece of paper.

But I'll tell you something. After a while, I can usually lure some in. When i go to the range, I may arrive with a cool NFA toy. Dump a few rounds down range, whatever. But I'll often finish up by pulling out a (sinister black) bolt action rifle and proceed to put holes into a grup 1 10th the size of the novice 22 year old with the AR with the stupid accessories.

Often they will come over (the bolt gun IS black) and ask about it. I'll let them shoot it and they will typically immediately shoot better than they were with their AR with the UTG vertical forgrip, 45 deg sights, flashlight, laser, swiss army knife, and firestarting kit.

If they like guns, truly like guns, then your best bet is to just let them blast away. Even if they are just stupidly sending ammo downrange. Its their money.

Eventually they will get bored and want to learn to 1) shoot really fast, i.e. USPSA rifle match or 2) Learn to shoot precisely, at distance.

More experienced shooters should try to help these new shooters get some experience in areas they don't know.

Personally, I started out in .22 bulls eye in middle school. Then in college I started shooting practical games when i got a 9mm for self defense. Then i moved onto Trap, then sporting clays, then CMP style matches, then back to IDPA and 3 gun type stuff, then finally long distancce precise shooting.

Its all fun. Every time I shifted gears, there was more to learn, and learning is what makes this stuff fun.

To the Fudds and young consumers of UTG and Tapco accessories, open your mind. You have nothing to lose, but your ignorance.
No disrespect intended, and I'm not arguing your points, but I feel like you missed Mr Davis's point.

My 16 year old and I at 34 are the "younger" people in question and have and will again sit at a table and try and put all the bullets in the same hole. However if that was all we could do he would have stopped going a long time ago.

Being able to set up diet coke cans to plink, mag dump, do moving drills and use guns that look like the movies I grew up watching, and he uses in video games is just plain fun.

We bullshit all the time who is the better shot and has better groups (he is and goes 1/4 as often as I do.) But in the end sitting down and putting the lower together was just as thrilling as a bullseye, we "built" an ar, and breaking it in vaporizing some 12oz cans was the best.

All he is saying is there is more out there than punching paper with a bolt action from the bench. (Which you obviously get) and it isn't 1950 where he and his buddies can take a 10/22 to the dump and pick off rats.

No disrespect intended, and I'm not arguing your points, but I feel like you missed Mr Davis's point.

My 16 year old and I at 34 are the "younger" people in question and have and will again sit at a table and try and put all the bullets in the same hole. However if that was all we could do he would have stopped going a long time ago.

Being able to set up diet coke cans to plink, mag dump, do moving drills and use guns that look like the movies I grew up watching, and he uses in video games is just plain fun.

We bullshit all the time who is the better shot and has better groups (he is and goes 1/4 as often as I do.) But in the end sitting down and putting the lower together was just as thrilling as a bullseye, we "built" an ar, and breaking it in vaporizing some 12oz cans was the best.

All he is saying is there is more out there than punching paper with a bolt action from the bench. (Which you obviously get) and it isn't 1950 where he and his buddies can take a 10/22 to the dump and pick off rats.
When I get to a computer.... +1

You can thank the NRA for that one. For years and years they taught that any more than 5 in a mag was unsafe because the gun could run away if the sear wore out. Lots of clubs had that rule, even for revolvers. Some still do.

I've never had that problem because I chain my guns to the bench even though they're very well behaved. Can never be too safe.

Willbdavis said something earlier in this thread like

Younger people don't want to go to the range and put 6 highly precise shots on a piece of paper.

But I'll tell you something. After a while, I can usually lure some in. When i go to the range, I may arrive with a cool NFA toy. Dump a few rounds down range, whatever. But I'll often finish up by pulling out a (sinister black) bolt action rifle and proceed to put holes into a grup 1 10th the size of the novice 22 year old with the AR with the stupid accessories.

Often they will come over (the bolt gun IS black) and ask about it. I'll let them shoot it and they will typically immediately shoot better than they were with their AR with the UTG vertical forgrip, 45 deg sights, flashlight, laser, swiss army knife, and firestarting kit.

If they like guns, truly like guns, then your best bet is to just let them blast away. Even if they are just stupidly sending ammo downrange. Its their money.

Eventually they will get bored and want to learn to 1) shoot really fast, i.e. USPSA rifle match or 2) Learn to shoot precisely, at distance.

More experienced shooters should try to help these new shooters get some experience in areas they don't know.

Personally, I started out in .22 bulls eye in middle school. Then in college I started shooting practical games when i got a 9mm for self defense. Then i moved onto Trap, then sporting clays, then CMP style matches, then back to IDPA and 3 gun type stuff, then finally long distancce precise shooting.

Its all fun. Every time I shifted gears, there was more to learn, and learning is what makes this stuff fun.

To the Fudds and young consumers of UTG and Tapco accessories, open your mind. You have nothing to lose, but your ignorance.

From my perspective as a relatively new shooter there are few ranges in this state that foster either of the two shooting evolutions you describe. I think that is half the problem.

What you do with this is pull the old Ferris Bueller act. YOU call the police. Explain how this man just threatened you on a gun range. I know Fudds are pussies, but he could have shot you. Take pictures of him and his vehicle. You were being harassed. Use the police to beat down the progressives.

I've had enough Fudd experiences. I hate Fudds. But make sure you turn the tables on them every chance you get.

I do hope you're joking. Never invite the police into your life unless it is 110% absolutely necessary.

Nah, but don't mag dumps get old? What pisses me off is when I get looks of disapproval for shooting pistol fast and then I look and I've got tighter groups than the people giving me looks.
Mag dumps get old?

On any given day? Maybe, but if done right the gun gets too hot to handle first. [smile]

Then there is next week!'

I generally bore of reloading mags before shooting. I bore even faster missing the target though, regardless of rate of fire, so if I do, I tend to slow down and correct, but once corrected, we can speed up again...

Mag dumps get old?

On any given day? Maybe, but if done right the gun gets too hot to handle first. [smile]

Then there is next week!

I can agree with that. What I really enjoy is to improve at things I do, so I look at blown ammo like that as wasted practice rounds. Again, I get mag dumps and have done my share, I just get where D is comong from as well. (Totally don't mean to come of as holier than thou or anything, in case it sounds that way)

I catch a lot of crap at braintree for shooting fast with my head low, even though I can make golfball sized groups at 25 yards.

There's no rules in the handbook against it, the ROs mostly know to leave me alone. I will argue about this. I pay my dues so I can train.

Fight like you train, train like you fight.

I catch a lot of crap at braintree for shooting fast with my head low, even though I can make golfball sized groups at 25 yards.

There's no rules in the handbook against it, the ROs mostly know to leave me alone. I will argue about this. I pay my dues so I can train.

Wow golfball sized groups at 75 (25 yards) feet. Pistol? Rifle? Caliber? Sight system?

Which is why as nice as the facilities are, I won't consider joining Braintree. Give some people a little power and they become unbearable. Some RO's are that way, which is a shame.

Because the RO on duty's word is law! That's the order from our CRO. You do that and you'll be shown the gate, that's his way of doing things. I don't do that crap but also expect other ROs to respect my interpretation of our rules when I'm on duty. I had one instance of another RO (while I was on duty) tell me to get lost that he's handling everything after I stopped someone from handling guns while others were down-range changing targets (BTW, that other RO told her to do this).

I do hope you're joking. Never invite the police into your life unless it is 110% absolutely necessary.

Yes, joking. Well, only half joking. Had a Fudd threaten to call the police at the range once. I grabbed my cell phone and said "I'll save you the minutes on your cell, let me call them. You're harassing me and I feel threatened." He left. Never saw him at the club again. He was up my ass about my ar-15 and its muzzle break being illegal in MA(?!?!?). F him, and F all the other dumb Fudds. With Fudds like that, who needs enemies.

These Fudds sticking their noses in other people's business at the range are the same jerkoffs who drive 55 in the left lane to intentionally slow everybody else down. They have nothing better to do with their pathetic lives, and they like to think of themselves as smart, or righteous or whatever because they know the rules and they're going to call out everyone who doesn't abide by them. I'd say that the kind of person who does that is actually outing themselves as too stupid to realize that others very likely don't give a f*ck about the rules in question. The alternative explanation is that they fancy themselves some kind of authority, moral or otherwise, which is equally idiotic.

Last edited:
These Fudds sticking their noses in other people's business at the range are the same jerkoffs who drive 55 in the left lane to intentionally slow everybody else down. They have nothing better to do with their pathetic lives, and they like to think of themselves as smart, or righteous or whatever because they know the rules and they're going to call out everyone who doesn't abide by them. I'd say that the kind of person who does that is actually outing themselves as too stupid to realize that others very likely don't give a f*ck about the rules in question. The alternative explanation is that they fancy themselves some kind of authority, moral or otherwise, which is equally idiotic.

I like to help people break rules, what does that make me?

They suck at live in general. Even if you shot like them they would talk smack...

You can thank the NRA for that one. For years and years they taught that any more than 5 in a mag was unsafe because the gun could run away if the sear wore out. Lots of clubs had that rule, even for revolvers. Some still do.

How will a "revolver sear" allow a revolver to "run away"?

MWSA has a sign-in sheet. Silly. Need to find a better club.

MWSA?

... set up diet coke cans to plink, mag dump, do moving drills and use guns ... is just plain fun.

... we "built" an ar, and breaking it in vaporizing some 12oz cans was the best.

I WISH our club let you shoot at cans and milk jugs. Nothing but paper targets on the wires, held by clothespins. That's it. I do have another place for plinking, but it is more like 20 minutes away.

Yes, joking. Well, only half joking. Had a Fudd threaten to call the police at the range once. I grabbed my cell phone and said "I'll save you the minutes on your cell, let me call them. You're harassing me and I feel threatened." He left. Never saw him at the club again. He was up my ass about my ar-15 and its muzzle break being illegal in MA(?!?!?). ...

Good one.

Beansie and Denism,

If I got your intentions wrong, then thats certainly my fault.

Now reading your followups, I think we are all on the same page. Its ALL fun.

And NO, there don't seem to be any single clubs that embrace both. Or, if they do, its different groups of people within the club doing each pursuit.

Im a member at Mass Rifle and Harvard.

Mass Rifle has a lot of excellent precision rifle shots. Its only 200 yards, so these guys tend to focus on open sighted service rifle types of games. Many are also members at Reading where they can shoot scoped out to 600 yards. There are a small group of practical shooters who have events monthly. But generally, the tone of the club is set by the rules, which are set by the fact that I95, a School, mall, auto dealer, and hotel are just beyond the backstops of our outdoor ranges. If a round gets out of Mass Rifle, it will come down somewhere where somebody will notice.

To that end, no holster draw is allowed at MRA unless its at an event. But even still, its convenient. Its got the best indoor range I've found in MA other than Smith and Wesson. They allow any rifle up to .50bmg as well as machine guns indoors.

For me, Harvard is all about practical shooting. I have the pick of 3 ranges to use my MG on. The re are enough outdoor pits so I can shoot all morning and never share with anyone. Holster draw, rapid fire, whatever you want. Harvard's 200/300 yard range is great. But again, its a different group of guys than those who use the MG ranges, or the pistol pits with the permanently installed steel targets.

At both clubs I'm friendly with both the practical and the precision groups. But they are very distinct groups. I can tell you that at Mass Rifle, they all play nice and there is mutual respect. Part of that is probably because of the mingling that happens at Sunday morning breakfast.

Harvard, I can't comment on because I don't really know the culture there yet. But I've not met an a55hole there yet.

I can contrast this with some blue collar snobs at my clubs in CT. At these clubs, if you don't drive a pickup truck you ain't 5h1t. The blue collar guys split from the white collar guys. Its really swell.

I do believe that its best to start kids out shooting precisely. But I also believe that its good to introduce practical shooting skills as a means to keep the interest going. Then I think they will eventually come back around to precision. Thats how it went for me.

Don

Last edited:
That's great, Do you pick up all the shrapnel or do you leave it there for some ones dog get it paws all cut to hell on?

Our club allows plinking of tin cans and other items that don't leave shrapnel all over the place. In other words, no glass bottles, etc. We also prohibit items that are likely to cause ricochets since this is a safety issue. Basically, if the round isn't going to penetrate then the target isn't allowed.

Yes, the shooters tend to leave a mess behind. Big deal. At least they're having fun. I understand and accept that part of my job is to keep the range clean so everyone can enjoy it. Not only do I pick up after myself I try to leave the range cleaner than how I found it. Hopefully some of the other shooters feel the same way.

Not only do we give lip service to limited government and liberty in general, we actually practice these principles in how we manage the club. So there aren't a lot of rules. And the sky hasn't fallen. And we're one of the most popular clubs in New England.

Our club allows plinking of tin cans and other items that don't leave shrapnel all over the place. In other words, no glass bottles, etc. We also prohibit items that are likely to cause ricochets since this is a safety issue. Basically, if the round isn't going to penetrate then the target isn't allowed.

Yes, the shooters tend to leave a mess behind. Big deal. At least they're having fun. I understand and accept that part of my job is to keep the range clean so everyone can enjoy it. Not only do I pick up after myself I try to leave the range cleaner than how I found it. Hopefully some of the other shooters feel the same way.

Not only do we give lip service to limited government and liberty in general, we actually practice these principles in how we manage the club. So there aren't a lot of rules. And the sky hasn't fallen. And we're one of the most popular clubs in New England.

I'm the same, and our club has the same rules. No organics and nothing like glass etc. (Common sense stuff, the organics is to keep the critters off the berm lol).

The only time I don't pick up and toss away what I'm shooting is the 2 times they have blasted up and over the berm... I'm sorry. I'll run up the thing to grab a bottle, but I'm not scaling it to get one, lol.

I also try and do the "bring out more than I brought in". I always pick up a box or two worth of other people's brass.

Back
Top Bottom