Fudd sighting: marshvegas

You leave out that people join a club near them. I don't want to drive all over the place to go shooting.

If geography is a constraint, then you will basically be forced to "eat poop and like it" if you want to shoot, unless by chance you happen to live near one of the "Clubs that doesn't suck" (tm).

-Mike

I try not to stick my nose into other clubs' business. That being said, clubs that think like this are stiuck in the old days. The younger generation, by and large, doesn't go to the range to put half a dozen highly precise shots down range and then leave. We burn through a lot of ammo and have a lot of fun doing it. As long as shooters behave in a safe manner and no rounds leave the range there shouldn't be a problem. Any club whose rules don't accommodate this current way of thinking is doing its club members a disservice.

This

Exactly.

Thats why I belong to Mass Rifle - good guys and close, but lots of restrictions, and Harvard - farther away, and pretty much anything goes, although they do seem to have an irrational fear of a round skipping off the ground and going over the backstop.

With that said, MRA's fuddiness is somewhat justified since I 95 is only about a half mile beyond the backstop of most of the outdoor ranges.

It's not an irrational fear especially on the 200/300 yard ranges as there is houses behind it. All we need is a moon bat to walk out on their deck and see a bullet on it, not even lodged in it.

Ever seen the roof of the clubhouse? littered with bullets from rants opposite it - so yes, skipping happens. this is why targets must be off the ground and you must qualify on the ranges where people are more likely to have rounds skipping if they hit the ground in front of the berm instead of the berm.

I've been a member at Marshfield for @ 15years. There are lots of us with "military" style firearms - ak's and ar's aplenty. I have never encountered this fudd stuff. I will say the reason the count is limited is we are in a dense area and cranking off 30-60 rounds is going to annoy those who regularly attend town meeting. Scituate down the street can give you a firsthand account of why nobody can shoot much of anything there anymore. Most of us would love to go vietnam style with full mags but that's the price of living around here. When I read of the tough guy posts here about ripping it off and leaving I pray you guys aren't talking to the "straights" out there - you're ruining our cause..

Who told you that was the reason for the round limit?

It's my understanding that the current RO (among others) supports lifting the mag limit as it makes zero sense. The club was there before all the neighbors anyways, plus, the overall noise coming from the range has a lot more to with the calibers being shot and the total number of people shooting, than the number of rounds per mag.

I've been a member if the club for 10 years, the fact that there are a large number of FUDDs that hate military style weapons is an indisputable fact.

Let me guess, you don't want them to bring the gong back either?

Will - ha, why didn''t you mention that. You clearly know more than I do then about HSC. At a time when all the ranges were cold, have you ever walked up the berms and looked for any bullets up high? I'm just curious.

My biggest gripe is mainly in the pistol pits. If I put a bowling pin, right at the base of the berm, there is no way the bullet is going ricochet at an angle that would put it over the berm. And if it did, it woulld have had to hit something at such an oblique angle that it would be massively deformed and slowed.

But again. I'm good with it. I just brought it up because people were mentioning dumb rules. I greatly appreciate all the freedom that HSC offers. I am a very very happy member.

Ben - the answer is simple. the guy did a matrix thing where he curved the bullet path. No seriously. My guess is he was in front of the firing line, which is a big no no because it defeats the baffles. As it is, people have to qualify for the 50 and 100/200 at MRA. So they do their due diligence.

I did once watch a member's guest put a round into a baffle. The member himself wasn't really confident what happened. I started trying to figure it out and after talking with the guest noticed that he was holding the top of the front post on an AR even with the top edge of the aperture. he didn't realize he was supposed to look through the aperture, not over it. So he was shooting up at about 15 degrees. No harm was done. Both the member and the guest were very very very apologetic. The member continued to beat himself up for not better supervising the guest for the rest of their time there. Lesson learned. I'm sure the member won't make that mistake again.

I have. I'm the current VP and I did an extensive walk around of the berms this year while collecting samples for analysis with a company out there. We inspected the berms for content, location of content, and ricochet hazards. We live in freaking New England! This area grows rocks out of nothing. You put up a berm thats all sand and see how quick rocks migrate out the sides and top. Harvard has been around a long time. We take safety seriously. The rules have to be made with ALL of our members in mind - the experienced and inexperienced.

You would be amazed at the stupid things people do on ranges. If you are just a casual member you likely don't get word about or see what happens on these ranges. For example, shooting pistols up at the trap range that has no berm because 2 other people are shooting at the pistol range, great idea! Or bring a steel plate target but no way to secure it, so lean it up against a rock at a 45 degree angle pointing over the berm, fabulous! Or shooting sideways across a rifle range into an area with very little berm, what could go wrong!

I understand that some clubs might go to far but it is likely in response to people's stupidity. The damage around the firing line is just the stupidity you get to see first-hand, it goes way beyond that.

Ya think???? Just look what happened to Maynard R&G.

That was before I came to Maynard, so I had to Google a little, and might as well share what I found:

'They will use any excuse to shut them down,' George said of homeowners that border shooting ranges. 'If a buyer sees a home on a Saturday afternoon, buys it, and then discovers on Sunday morning that a gun club is next door, it's easier to go after the gun club than the real estate broker.'

That's what the Maynard Rod and Gun Club discovered several years ago when a subdivision went up next to club property in Sudbury. Residents sued, saying the adjacent range was loud and dangerously close. They prevailed on appeal, but the club still operates, helped in part by a legal maneuver that reclassified it as a nonprofit, educational facility.

Carl Toumayan, an attorney at Kashian & Reynolds in Arlington who represented the Maynard Rod & Gun Club, said gun clubs are forced to be creative. The NRA-sponsored bill passed by the Legislature, which like those in the other 43 states essentially says that noise from a long-established gun club cannot be considered a nuisance, has helped, Toumayan said. But claims are still being made against clubs on zoning or environmental grounds. Source

But the homeowners still call the cops when they hear gunfire:

Maynard Police Log
02/24/14 2036 – Sudbury caller reports hearing gunshots from area of Rod and Gun Club. Officer reports subjects at skeet range shooting.

I'm within earshot of the club, and it sounds like there is never more than one person there. They sure are trying hard to keep it quiet.

. . . My point about an irrational fear is a basic lack of understanding with respect to the actual physics of a round after it skips off the ground. If a round hits the ground at more than a 20 deg or so angle, its not going to skip. Its going to dig in or tumble. If it hits at a shallow angle, its going to go back up at a shallow angle with a deformed face, no rotation and a lot less energy. . . .

It isn't about physics. It's about dipshits that can't hit the broadside of a barn from inside the barn.

They exist. They really, really do.

A range has two defenses against that sort of shooter: 1) Bar them using some sort of skills test (which still won't detect yahooligans) or 2) Set rules or "no blue sky" environments so that the idiots CAN'T screw it up for the 95% of the membership that shoots well.

My biggest gripe is mainly in the pistol pits. If I put a bowling pin, right at the base of the berm, there is no way the bullet is going ricochet at an angle that would put it over the berm. And if it did, it woulld have had to hit something at such an oblique angle that it would be massively deformed and slowed.

An interesting question. I know Southborough Rod & Gun created a box around the berm at the outdoor pistol pit for just this reason. The box is made of railroad ties. It is used for things like bowling pin shoots. I'm pretty sure the inside of this box has been chewed up pretty badly, but I'm going to check.

At a time when all the ranges were cold, have you ever walked up the berms and looked for any bullets up high?

I have not. It is a rare day/time when both the sun is up and someone isn't shooting somewhere at HSC. There are ranges on the other side of that hill. I prefer to remain non-perforated. I'm glad PennyPincher has performed the research and data collection, though.

Ya think???? Just look what happened to Maynard R&G.

What was the date of this? Was it before the Range protection law? I bet it was.

Well, I was a DECcie in Maynard from 1980 until 1993 and the problems that the club was having with the neighborhood that was being built there was a constant subject of conversation amongst us back then (DEC Firearms Notesfile). IIRC that was well before the range noise protection law was passed.

Having been involved in town gov't (Town Meeting) for 40 years I can tell you that regardless of any law to the contrary, citizens and towns have, and will continue to, pass local bylaws to attempt to negatively impact any clubs, hunting, etc. activities that they don't like. Constant vigilance is required.

What was the date of this? Was it before the Range protection law? I bet it was.

Maynard was once a club with over 600 members. I think the houses went in 12-15 years ago. I have no idea when the range protection law went into effect. As I heard it the club went broke fighting all the homeowners. Maynard was a great club back in it's day but I was a Westford resident back in 81 when I first got my LTC so I was a member there. Shot a few matches @ MR&G over the years.

Maynard was once a club with over 600 members. I think the houses went in 12-15 years ago. I have no idea when the range protection law went into effect. As I heard it the club went broke fighting all the homeowners. Maynard was a great club back in it's day but I was a Westford resident back in 81 when I first got my LTC so I was a member there. Shot a few matches @ MR&G over the years.

Nope, DEC left me 22 years ago and it was well before that when the houses were built on the Sudbury side and trouble began.

Len,
I was under the assumption that the problem came from the neighbors much closer. Time flies as I get older. Shot Gallery indoors there as well as .22 metallic silhouette for fun. It was years later when I got back into Gallery and Trap.

These parts had an influx of DEC people I've learned. For Westford it was the Wang guys.

It isn't about physics. It's about dipshits that can't hit the broadside of a barn from inside the barn.

They exist. They really, really do.

A range has two defenses against that sort of shooter: 1) Bar them using some sort of skills test (which still won't detect yahooligans) or 2) Set rules or "no blue sky" environments so that the idiots CAN'T screw it up for the 95% of the membership that shoots well.

I guess you all are right. I sometimes forget that "dumb" rules that may dumb for someone careful, aren't that dumb for someone who is either clueless or careless.

Is it ridiculous to believe that if I put my bowling pins at the base of the berm the bullet can go anywhere. Yes.

But its not ridiculous to think that under the right circumstances, if its a range without a really high berm, a bullet might go somewhere if the person puts the bowling pins 20 ft from the berm and shoots at them from, lets say 10 ft away. In that case, the bullet would have the opportunity to climb over the berm. It may not have much energy, and wouldn't kill anyone. But if it was found on a deck, or came through a window, it would hurt the club.

So I get it now. Plan for the lowest common denominator, then plan even lower.

So I get it now. Plan for the lowest common denominator, then plan even lower.
"Moral Hazard" and an unfortunate analogy to our society at present. A litany of rules attempting to regulating everything to the lowest common denominator that lull people into believing that if they can do it, it must be ok. If they can buy it, it must be safe/legal. If they can eat it, it must be clean. If they can follow that closely to the car in front of them, it must be possible to stop...

Anarchy isn't the answer, but a police state, private or public, is just as bad.

People need to understand at every level that they are responsible for their actions. If they believe, even for a moment, that the club or government has taken "every precaution", then they or someone else is going to get hurt.

A litany of rules attempting to regulating everything to the lowest common denominator that lull people into believing that if they can do it, it must be OK

Geez, this is over board. Harvard hardly tries to regulate everything to a lowest common denominator. On the contrary, we expect everyone to act as their own range safety officer, to be responsible for their own behavior. be safe, have fun, in that order.

Despite his claims to the contrary, DCMDON doesn't "get it." This isn't about rules for someone else, someone less capable than DCMDON.

We want all bullets fired on any given range to stay on that range. We want every shot to end up in a berm. His argument that his ricochets are harmless misses this point. if they're going off the range he doesn't really know where they're ending up. he can predict where they might end up with his angle of incidence, etc. But again, this misses the point. Keep it simple.

Geez, this is over board. Harvard hardly tries to regulate everything to a lowest common denominator. On the contrary, we expect everyone to act as their own range safety officer, to be responsible for their own behavior. be safe, have fun, in that order.

Despite his claims to the contrary, DCMDON doesn't "get it." This isn't about rules for someone else, someone less capable than DCMDON.

We want all bullets fired on any given range to stay on that range. We want every shot to end up in a berm. His argument that his ricochets are harmless misses this point. if they're going off the range he doesn't really know where they're ending up. he can predict where they might end up with his angle of incidence, etc. But again, this misses the point. Keep it simple.

There are a few "kinda lame" rules at clubs like HSC, HSA, etc... however, they're generally done in such a way that they will only occasionally piss off about 1% of the member base, which is something most people won't care about, or won't make it a deciding factor. It's the clubs that go full retard (no drawing from holster, litanty of other dumb requirements) that pretty much manage to make themselves completely worthless, to all but the people who are too lazy to drive out to a better club.

-Mike

Who told you that was the reason for the round limit?

It's my understanding that the current RO (among others) supports lifting the mag limit as it makes zero sense. The club was there before all the neighbors anyways, plus, the overall noise coming from the range has a lot more to with the calibers being shot and the total number of people shooting, than the number of rounds per mag.

I've been a member if the club for 10 years, the fact that there are a large number of FUDDs that hate military style weapons is an indisputable fact.

Let me guess, you don't want them to bring the gong back either?

I'd love to have the gong back - we're working on a railroad tie setup for it. And stick the smarmy let me guess crap. I didn't say I wanted or didn't want anything. We have a milirtary shoot a few times ayear. You should come and see the great firearms people bring - dreaded black rifles and ak's and all kinds of fun. No military hating fudds real or imagined.

"Moral Hazard" and an unfortunate analogy to our society at present. A litany of rules attempting to regulating everything to the lowest common denominator that lull people into believing that if they can do it, it must be ok. If they can buy it, it must be safe/legal. If they can eat it, it must be clean. If they can follow that closely to the car in front of them, it must be possible to stop...

Anarchy isn't the answer, but a police state, private or public, is just as bad.

People need to understand at every level that they are responsible for their actions. If they believe, even for a moment, that the club or government has taken "every precaution", then they or someone else is going to get hurt.

Agreed. IMHO it's better to simply not have numbskulls as members in the first place. Just when you get done building something idiot-proof the universe goes and creates a better idiot.

Geez, this is over board. Harvard hardly tries to regulate everything to a lowest common denominator. On the contrary, we expect everyone to act as their own range safety officer, to be responsible for their own behavior. be safe, have fun, in that order. ...

How many of the rules at Harvard are OTHER THAN reinforcing common sense? Serious question. If everyone followed [what amounts to common sense], Cekim's observations on personal responsibility, then these rules/laws that irk us would not be necessary.

How many of the rules at Harvard are OTHER THAN reinforcing common sense? Serious question. If everyone followed [what amounts to common sense], Cekim's observations on personal responsibility, then these rules/laws that irk us would not be necessary.
I guess common sense isn't as common as some of us might wish. The number of times I have been swept tells me that. Or looking back when I'm down range to see someone on the line the messing with his firearm.

Apparently some people think everyone is rational and posessed with good judgement.

I think many people don't consider the potential results of their actions. In fact, I think most people think they are an exception. "Won't happen to me. " "I can handle my guns while people are down range because I'm pretty sure they aren't loaded. " "I can shoot at bowling pins on the ground because I'm pretty sure my ricochets won't injure someone. " "I can drink and drive just fine. " "I can eat crappy food day after day and get no exercise with no future bad health effects."

Last edited:

I think the rimfire ban in many of the action pits and the back 40 is lame. I don't understand why they are afraid of spent 22 brass in the sand/dirt. Where is the common sense in that? Maybe I missed the true reason for the rule.

I think the rimfire ban in many of the action pits and the back 40 is lame. I don't understand why they are afraid of spent 22 brass in the sand/dirt. Where is the common sense in that? Maybe I missed the true reason for the rule.

Personally I don't understand the rule but I doubt it has to do with spent brass in the sand.

But this highlights my point. Just because we don't understand the reason for a rule doesn't mean there isn't a good reason. I think I will take this as a cue to go ask someone who may know the reason for this rule. Maybe it is a lame rule, maybe it isn't. Neither my intellect nor my common sense offer me guidance on this one. Maybe someone else has considered something I have so far failed to perceive.

Personally I don't understand the rule but I doubt it has to do with spent brass in the sand.

But this highlights my point. Just because we don't understand the reason for a rule doesn't mean there isn't a good reason. I think I will take this as a cue to go ask someone who may know the reason for this rule. Maybe it is a lame rule, maybe it isn't. Neither my intellect nor my common sense offer me guidance on this one. Maybe someone else has considered something I have so far failed to perceive.

Assuming you're action pits are like ours, maybe it's to keep the people bench shooting (who should be at the utility range, 200 yard range or steal target range) out of the action pits so those of us who want to run drills, blast the shotty or otherwise not sit and bench shoot in the non-bench shooting areas can have a place to shoot without waiting 3 hours for someone to fire 20 rounds, and leave.

I mean, I'd share the pit, but with the common firing line of 80 yards, it isn't as fun trying to plink plastic bottles and shoot from behind cover, etc.

Sorry, I'm just ranting, this likely has nothing to do with it.

There are a few "kinda lame" rules at clubs like HSC, HSA, etc... however, they're generally done in such a way that they will only occasionally piss off about 1% of the member base, which is something most people won't care about, or won't make it a deciding factor. It's the clubs that go full retard (no drawing from holster, litanty of other dumb requirements) that pretty much manage to make themselves completely worthless, to all but the people who are too lazy to drive out to a better club.

-Mike

This is hardly worth even talking about.

I couched my comment as a very very weak complaint about an excellent club that has a few rules that are somewhat annoying.

Can I say it any softer? Harvard seems to me to be worried a lot about skips. That can't be debated.

Whether a shot at a ground target placed at the foot of a 40 foot high berm is certainly something that can be debated.

I certainly didn't want this to get nasty. I'm not telling anyone their kid is ugly. Harvard is a great club. I'm happy to live within the rules.

I don't think I'm special. I'm fairly experienced and very careful. I see new shooters make mistakes that I'd never make. But then people like me who have been shooting for years may be more likely to make different mistakes. We're all imperfect. We all make mistakes. I get that.

Lets please not let this degrade into personal attacks.

Back
Top Bottom