Keene firearm prohibitionists/range fudd unhappy about planned build clinic

Those same people would probably benefit more from a video(direct guidance) where you can stop and rewind as many times as you want without bothering everyone else in the class The only benefit of a class in this case is for the teacher charging each person for the class. :)

Meh, I can see the benefit of a real class. Plus because its live you can ask the instructor questions that may not be addressed in the video. Not everyone learns the same way. While many of us have never needed a class, in many cases that setting is useful to someone else.

Last edited:
You can laugh at me but when my first granddaughter was born my wife went out and got a car seat. I had to assemble and install it in my wife's car. That was no where near as easy and obvious as one might expect.

I get it - I had 3 car seats in the back up until a couple of years ago. They're a pain in the ass, but I would die trying to install them before I rolled up to a firehouse and asked a bunch of firefighters to do it for me.

But the man who canceled his range membership over the clinics said no one should have access to this type of firearm. He asked that The Sentinel not use his name for fear someone could retaliate against him for his complaints.
“They have the audacity to promote building the weapon that [expletive] killed those people,” he said, speaking on the recent mass shootings in Highland Park, Ill., and Uvalde, Texas. “No one needs a gun that eviscerates a body when it hits it. That weapon should be off the street, no one should have that.”

Guy doesn't know history....

Woah, we found him, behold the FUDD king.. this guy definitely squats to piss:

But the man who canceled his range membership over the clinics said no one should have access to this type of firearm. He asked that The Sentinel not use his name for fear someone could retaliate against him for his complaints.

The real question is why would a person pay to go to a class to learn to build an AR?

Suckers born every minute I guess.
Many years ago we had an NES build party in Walpole (IIRC) to build up the lowers and uppers we had all bought in NES group buys. It was beneficial because not eveyone had every tool that makes the job easier, so we shared tools and knowledge. Nobody was charged for the event however.

I won't fault a company for doing this and making a profit.
Those same people would probably benefit more from a video(direct guidance) where you can stop and rewind as many times as you want without bothering everyone else in the class The only benefit of a class in this case is for the teacher charging each person for the class. :)
No, different folks have different learning styles. Plus being able to ask a knowledgeable person when you need help is an advantage.
Meh, I can see the benefit of a real class. Plus because its live you can ask the instructor questions that may not be addressed in the video. Not everyone learns the same way. While many of us have never needed a class, in many cases that setting is useful to someone else.
Agreed.

The back story on this one is more than what is in the Keene Sentinel obviously. Wait a bit before you pass judgement on either the fudd or the “teacher”.

See also this petition from a Swanzey woman:

The back story on this one is more than what is in the Keene Sentinel obviously. Wait a bit before you pass judgement on either the fudd or the “teacher”.
Assuming the quote relayed in Hunter Oberst's Sentinel article is accurate, I think we can pass judgement:
Sentinel said:

They have the audacity to promote building the weapon that [expletive] killed those people,” he said, speaking on the recent mass shootings in Highland Park, Ill., and Uvalde, Texas. “No one needs a gun that eviscerates a body when it hits it. That weapon should be off the street, no one should have that.
Yeah, the Fudd is full of FUD.

Apparently he didn't even have the balls to call Hunter@Sentinel directly, it's all an anonymous email.

FUDDs are in every club. I was in one in western NH and two in eastern VT at the same time. The closest one had a "5 second rule". You had to wait 5 seconds before the next shot :rolleyes: A few times when I didn't, someone showed up to complain. The one in VT had a no full-auto/bumpstock/too-rapid fire rule. The club president watched the cameras at the range from home. You could shoot a little faster than 5 seconds, but they had a "No-human shaped target" rule unless you were LE and in uniform and qualifying at the time. The 2nd VT range didn't limit targets or firing speed (including full auto), but did tend to shut down the 100yrd rifle range for Trap and Skeet matches. (Shtogun range fired across the rifle range).

A bit of a risk to publish it was a range member who resigned if it was not since the club would easily be able to verify whether that happened at all.
Beat me to it
The real question is why would a person pay to go to a class to learn to build an AR?

100%.. Unless you’re building an AR 15 and you’ve never ownered/operated one I don’t even see what the issue is you just put it together. But if you don’t care about scratch you don’t need any special tools.

I am shocked, shocked I say, to see that no one mentioned one of the prime benefits of a class like this.

It is at a range! [laugh]

This class may have people who have a small, or no, group of friends that are into AR/MSR. They probably will not be joining a club. Have little, if any, shooting experience. But, at the end of the day they have a confirmed functioning and safely working rifle. This is a great class for single people, apartment dwellers and newbs.

Beat me to it

100%.. Unless you’re building an AR 15 and you’ve never ownered/operated one I don’t even see what the issue is you just put it together. But if you don’t care about scratch you don’t need any special tools.
If by special tools you mean electrical tape wrapped around the jaws of channel locks, then yeah.

Yeah, or I mean you could watch a video on the internet. Pretty much the same thing…..

I am sure the Fudd doesn’t even exist. You would have to be a fool to believe any anonymous source in todays media. In fact you would have to be a fool to believe almost anything the media reports today.
I built a few lowers that way. Never did the uppers because I didn't think it was worth it to buy the needed specialty tools when my friend's shop could do it at the same or less cost.

Absolutely. I knew a woman who went to an AR build party. She wanted to do it herself but wasn't confident enough. She asked me to go with her so I did. I found it extremely interesting and I enjoyed helping some of the people there assemble an AR.

As a community we need to be willing to help new firearms owners. I ran into a guy at WSA a few weeks ago. He got his LTC, joined WSA and then went over to the Deli Ticket Emporium and picked up a cheap 9mm and some ammo. He came straight to the range and he didn't have a clue. I ended up stopping what I was doing and worked with the guy for an hour. If we want to expand our community we need to work at it. That means meeting people where they are at.
Those classes - they do teach basics but the actual most difficult part of an AR assembly is a proper truing and lapping the face. It just takes some practice to master.

I used to drive up to Keene, NH from Rutland, MA and open carry my handgun of the day.
Whoa hold up here. Not once have I even considered I could hop over the border and OC in NH. I probably never will, but, Duh?
That sounds like a fun day for those of us who have never built one. I would love to see something like that within an hrs drive here in MA. I'm guessing it's for NH residents only.
I built one years ago with a bunch of friends. Mine's sort of a wal-mart special piece of shit, but it's like the AK of my AR's and I love it like an extremely homely woman that is a freak in the dark and cooks like a professional.

It depends on the knowledge conveyed in the build class. It shouldn't be "Part A attaches to part B". The class I took talked history, design, theory, part wear, tolerance, part spacing, ammunition types, free float vs not, legalities of muzzle devices. It was a nice package.

I think my course cost something like $750-800 for a full build plus knowledge, and I think if I parted the gun out, the price I paid extra would be the same cost as the tools I would have needed to purchase to do it correctly myself.

Whoa hold up here. Not once have I even considered I could hop over the border and OC in NH. I probably never will, but, Duh?

I built one years ago with a bunch of friends. Mine's sort of a wal-mart special piece of shit, but it's like the AK of my AR's and I love it like an extremely homely woman that is a freak in the dark and cooks like a professional.

It depends on the knowledge conveyed in the build class. It shouldn't be "Part A attaches to part B". The class I took talked history, design, theory, part wear, tolerance, part spacing, ammunition types, free float vs not, legalities of muzzle devices. It was a nice package.

I think my course cost something like $750-800 for a full build plus knowledge, and I think if I parted the gun out, the price I paid extra would be the same cost as the tools I would have needed to purchase to do it correctly myself.

Wow, $800 to learn to put an AR together? Not sure what knowledge you would be gaining that couldn't be gained from watching one of the 1000's of books and online tutorials... Props to the guy that convinced people to pay him $800 for a class to build an AR, with knowledge lol Unless it comes with all the parts as part of the price, damn...

Wow, $800 to learn to put an AR together? ... Unless it comes with all the parts as part of the price, damn...
Looks like "Build an AR" classes in NH generally run $100-$200 to register.
The "all-in" cost including the complete set of parts (including matched lower+upper) adds up to right around $800.

the knowledge conveyed in the build class. It shouldn't be "Part A attaches to part B". The class I took talked history, design, theory, part wear, tolerance, part spacing, ammunition types, free float vs not, legalities of muzzle devices. It was a nice package.

I think my course cost something like $750-800
I would think someone would absolutely be looking for "Part A attaches to part B". I would imagine most of the stuff is available on YouTube by now for free.

Wow, $800 to learn to put an AR together? Not sure what knowledge you would be gaining that couldn't be gained from watching one of the 1000's of books and online tutorials... Props to the guy that convinced people to pay him $800 for a class to build an AR, with knowledge lol Unless it comes with all the parts as part of the price, damn...
I'm guessing that includes all the parts. Does not make sense any other way.

Looks like "Build an AR" classes in NH generally run $100-$200 to register.
The "all-in" cost including the complete set of parts (including matched lower+upper) adds up to right around $800.

Cool.. Damn, I honestly didn't think people would pay money.. It's not like there is headspacing or bending a flat for an AK ..It's like Legos..I am not really mechanically inclined, but slapping an AR together is so simple even a househusband can do it in between running errands at Kohl's and Bed Bath Beyond for his wife :)

Cool.. Damn, I honestly didn't think people would pay money.. It's not like there is headspacing or bending a flat for an AK ..It's like Legos..I am not really mechanically inclined, but slapping an AR together is so simple even a househusband can do it in between running errands at Kohl's and Bed Bath Beyond for his wife :)
You would understand it better if you had to do tech support. Some people just aren't that bright and nearly need a hand-hold to do something, even basic shit. Many are not self starting or they allow themselves to be overwhelmed by the thought.

You would understand it better if you had to do tech support. Some people just aren't that bright and nearly need a hand-hold to do something, even basic shit. Many are not self starting or they allow themselves to be overwhelmed by the thought.

I get it dude, but building a PC as easy as it is is harder than building an AR. I guess I am just being unrealistic in thinking people buying just AR's parts to assemble have an IQ above 60 :)

I get it dude, but building a PC as easy as it is is harder than building an AR. I guess I am just being unrealistic in thinking people buying just AR's parts to assemble have an IQ above 60 :)
No, it's not; but im not even talking at that level even. I call it gun babysitting. A lot of these new gun owners didn't introduce themselves to guns the way we did or didn't grow up with them. The mindset is different. Many of these people will evolve but they, initially didn't make heavy investments in learning anything; their entire thing was driven by "i need guns zomg " not "i need guns but also guns are cool so im going to make a bunch of personal knowledge investments on the topic". Every other guy or lady on this forum has at least one or two people They're doing gun babysitting with, all new gun owners who are basically operating at "excited toddler levels. " Meet enough of these people and thats why training like that exists.

No, it's not; but im not even talking at that level even. I call it gun babysitting. A lot of these new gun owners didn't introduce themselves to guns the way we did or didn't grow up with them. The mindset is different. Many of these people will evolve but they, initially didn't make heavy investments in learning anything; their entire thing was driven by "i need guns zomg " not "i need guns but also guns are cool so im going to make a bunch of personal knowledge investments on the topic". Every other guy or lady on this forum has at least one or two people They're doing gun babysitting with, all new gun owners who are basically operating at "excited toddler levels. " Meet enough of these people and thats why training like that exists.
Hmmm sounds cool, can't debate that :)

About tech support.. I was in something infinitely more mind boggling, union steward :)

Are these "build parties" like tupperware or candle parties for men?

Maybe I can host one the same night my wife hosts her Pampered Chef parties?

🤔

Oh look at his furniture!! That FDE Magpul grip looks so cute. And that new Trijicon red dot sight is absolutely to die for.

Back
Top Bottom