Fudd sighting: marshvegas

Mass-diver

NES Member
Not a big deal, but I still felt like sharing.

Lately I've been working a ton in the OR and with a new house and an 18 month old, I haven't been to the range much at all :(

However, today I had a rare day off and got the blessing from wife. I headed down to my club in Marshfield where I have been a member for around 15yrs.

The plan was to test out some per-ban AK mags that I bought a couple months ago. I planed on shooting around 100-150 rounds. After a couple mags, a guy arrives - I say hi to him and immediate offer to stop shooting so he can set up.

As we resume shooting, I notice he's watching me closely even though we are at opposite ends of the shooting bench. After about 15min he strolls up to me.

Him: "you only want to load 6 bullets"
Me:" how many have u been shooting?"
Him "5 to 8"
Me: [slight eye roll]
Him: "ok then" starting walk away

Me:"you know these hold 30 rounds" pulling back the charging handle with a smile
Him: "well mine (he's got what looks like a ruger 1911) holds 8, but I only load 5 just to be safe."

He said a couple other DB type things to me, but overall seemed like a nice enough guy, just a classic fudd

Still have yet to figure out why clubs have magazine round limits. Find a new club if yours actually has a limit.

Otherwise that guy is a shithead.

Me:"you know these hold 30 rounds" pulling back the charging handle with a smile
Him: "well mine (he's got what looks like a ruger 1911) holds 8, but I only load 5 just to be safe."

He said a couple other DB type things to me, but overall seemed like a nice enough guy, just a classic fudd

"OK then, I'll only load 27 just to be safe."

We have a limit - it's 6 or I would have really flipped out on the guy :(

It's a decent club, but there a number of members that get freaked out by "military style" rifles.

Still have yet to figure out why clubs have magazine round limits. Find a new club if yours actually has a limit.

It was right there in the conversation. Safety. [thinking]

- - - Updated - - -

We have a limit - it's 6 or I would have really flipped out on the guy :(

It's a decent club, but there a number of members that get freaked out by "military style" rifles.

You should have offered to let him shoot it, and insisted when he inevitably refused.

It simple physics...

With less rounds in the magazine, the bullets travel slower, making the gun more manageable. If you load the mag to capacity, the bullets start strainging to get out, making your fire rate much higher and making the bullets faster to compensate. I only load a 3 round belt at a time in the M2 .50 cal when we range fire it to keep the bullets speed down.

Idiot.

You can thank the NRA for that one. For years and years they taught that any more than 5 in a mag was unsafe because the gun could run away if the sear wore out. Lots of clubs had that rule, even for revolvers. Some still do.

And then there's this guy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like guns, "bullets" tend to have a mind of their own, and are capable of "going off" when you least expect it. Studies have shown that bullets congregating in large groups tend to negatively influence - and even instigate each other, which is why the smart clubs limit how many rounds you can have hanging out in the same magazine.

I don't understand why anyone would bother anyone else about the size of their magazine or the number of rounds they are putting in it. As long as you are being safe, who cares?

Only loads 5 just to be safe?

Why can't he just, get a vasectomy, so the world is safe from his genes....

So....I can't figure out from your post: Did you load more than 6 rounds, or did you follow the Club's range rule?

I was trying to just load 6, but I wasn't paying that close attention (again I'm here testing mags, so I was just trying to get through the ammo).

I guess this guy had been carefully counting each mag I shot and per his count I was shooting "5-8" - so I guess a couple times i put one or two extra in and he was warning me.

Like guns, "bullets" tend to have a mind of their own, and are capable of "going off" when you least expect it. Studies have shown that bullets congregating in large groups tend to negatively influence - and even instigate each other, which is why the smart clubs limit how many rounds you can have hanging out in the same magazine.

ACLU should sue for civil rights discrimination under freedom of assembly, this injustice will not stand.

I was trying to just load 6, but I wasn't paying that close attention (again I'm here testing mags, so I was just trying to get through the ammo).

I guess this guy had been carefully counting each mag I shot and per his count I was shooting "5-8" - so I guess a couple times i put one or two extra in and he was warning me.

Gotcha.

There's a difference between range safety, and range Nazi.....

Load the mag full. Just so long as you have someone with you yelling "SEND IT!" before you fire each round, all will be well. [wink]

Hey, you don't need the second person, I yelled "SEND IT!" for every round thru the AK (and the AR) on Saturday.

And I don't think any kittens got killed.
(well there were some pictures of cats)

You can thank the NRA for that one. For years and years they taught that any more than 5 in a mag was unsafe because the gun could run away if the sear wore out. Lots of clubs had that rule, even for revolvers. Some still do.

And then there's this guy:

Is that the same guy that sold Rich Wyatt all of those Texas Ranger guns? What a douche.

Edit: Yeah, that's him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNjXtFak9I

Has anyone investigated how he retired from the Rangers and took with him $500K worth of their guns?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people just cant mind their own business. I like talking to new people at the range, but I cant stand the ones like that or the ones who just wont shut up. As long as someone is not doing something unsafe, who cares. Personally when I think things are going down hill from a safety standpoint I just pack up and go home. You cant teach common sense and most of gun safety is just that

Does Marshfield have a round limit for rifle/pistol magazines? If not, I would asked him to leave me alone in a polite tone.

It does have a rule - 6 rounds, he said I was loading 5-8, on average, per his count. He was in the right per club rules, so I wasn't rude to him.

He's just a complete DB for counting my shots (IMHO). Then again at least he didn't want to inspect my rifle and mags to make sure they were pre-ban.

Personally, I would ignore that rule because its stupid and risk the consequences. Loading 5 rounds at a time is useless to me, I may as well just not shoot.

By the way, how the hell are you supposed to test a 30 round magazine without loading it to capacity? Sounds like you pretty much just wasted an afternoon and your ammo if that was truly your objective.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom