Fudd sighting: marshvegas

Should just go to Holbrook, they don't care. They have a couple of fudds but the Members there embraced different walks of life and their guns.

Not to be a pain in the ass, but it looks like you aren't supposed to shoot clays on the 25/50 yard range. (I was curious, so I looked it up).

My story was from the 100.

I was also told that bio degradable clays are not biodegradable enough. [rofl]

i hate new england so much. out west they dont even have ranges, you just pull your car off the side of the road, walk out 50 yards, and go ham on boulders with a Barrett .50 and nobody will give 2 halves of a shit

Still have yet to figure out why clubs have magazine round limits. Find a new club if yours actually has a limit.

Otherwise that guy is a shithead.

History meets fuddism. The NRA gallery handgun course requires 5 rounds, therefore, nobody needs any more [wink]

Seriously? You have a limit on rounds per magazine at clubs? What a bunch of pussies...

Every day I learn something new that's ****ed up about that retarded state.

I belong to Harvard Sportsmen's Club.... a man's gun club where there are probably still fudds but I can't hear them over the sound of my mozambique drills and otherwise general awesomeness!

My story was from the 100.

I was also told that bio degradable clays are not biodegradable enough. [rofl]
Well... you just had the guy in charge of it say they were OK, so I wouldn't worry about it!!

Seriously? You have a limit on rounds per magazine at clubs? What a bunch of pussies...

NO. ONE CLUB has mag limits. Most do NOT! HSC's mag limits are whatever you can drag to the range, AFAIK. ( I can see Adam & Nicole coming up with the Ma Deuce...)

I would have put my gun down, sat at the far end of the shoot area with my arms folded staring at the guy and mumbling to myself until he got the jitters and left. If he wasn't gone after maybe 15 minutes I'd probably pull all my mags out, slowly and methodically load em to the max, maybe still mumbling under my breath a bit after each round goes in, and set the mags all in a neat row making a point to leer at the guy every time he snuck a look over at me.

First, most of you don't understand gun culture from a previous era, and all of you that survive will eventually become geezers and some no doubt will turn into Fudds (as defined by the generation of gun owners that come after you).

I understand fully that this Fudd is from the generation that puts a booger hook on the bang switch every time they pick up a gun.

If you want to see some "combat pistol craft" from the Fudd generation, that is simultaneously hilarious and horrifying, take 28 minutes, with the good stuff starting at 4:55:

- - - Updated - - -

(Yes, I know that Fudds can pass on their genes, and Fuddism is not restricted to people of a certain age.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand fully that this Fudd is from the generation that puts a booger hook on the bang switch every time they pick up a gun.

If you want to see some "combat pistol craft" from the Fudd generation, that is simultaneously hilarious and horrifying, take 28 minutes, with the good stuff starting at 4:55:

- - - Updated - - -

(Yes, I know that Fudds can pass on their genes, and Fuddism is not restricted to people of a certain age.)

I've got to get me one of those masks.

'Grip it until it trembles'

NO. ONE CLUB has mag limits. Most do NOT! HSC's mag limits are whatever you can drag to the range, AFAIK. ( I can see Adam & Nicole coming up with the Ma Deuce...)

Actually, many more than one. A few more were even named in this thread.

But it's a valid point it has nothing to do with the state. I'm betting we can find a club or two in NH with heavy FUDD membership and round limits.

Of course, the best answer to FUDDISM is to get involved in your club, whichever club it is. Join one of the committees. Put in some work. Clean up the range sometimes. Take ownership. Get to really know the other members.

Should just go to Holbrook, they don't care. They have a couple of fudds but the Members there embraced different walks of life and their guns.

[grin]
This wasn't always the case with Holbrook. I have been a charter member there for about 40 years. There has been many "clicks" over the years that have tried to put undue influence on shooters that shoot something other than the latest "clicks" form of fun. I was instrumental in building that big bore range back around 1980 or so. It was originally 200 meters not 200 yards so we could shoot IHMSA (International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association) A lot of people helped out immensely, a lot of people were an immense pain in my ass. "We don't need that long of a range", "All that noise will get us shut down", "We're just asking for trouble", and my favorite "Strangers will come here and shoot God knows what." I swear that one of the old E-board members was anti gun and only belonged to get away from his wife and play poker a couple of times a month.

Although I have paid my dues all these years, I had stopped going there like I used to because I got tired of dealing with the asshats. I shoot everything I can, trap, rifle, pistol, long range short range you name it. I just like to shoot.

I find the new attitude and the people running Holbrook now to be quite refreshing. They have put the sportsmen's back in the sportsmen's club. The leadership seems to embrace shooting in all it's forms now. At the last NES shoot at Holbrook a lot of people didn't realize it but the president and a lot of the E-board were walking around and watching the shooters. They must have been impressed because at the next meeting they voted to give extra money to Comm2A because of their observations.

The only day all ranges are closed, I believe, is Easter Sunday. I used to know why, but, I'm an old Fudd now and forget a lot.

So what's a range officer? We just show up, set up our targets, and shoot. If someone else is there, or some one else shows up, we observe common sense on when to stop shooting for target relocation or setup.

At the last NES shoot at Holbrook a lot of people didn't realize it but the president and a lot of the E-board were walking around and watching the shooters. They must have been impressed because at the next meeting they voted to give extra money to Comm2A because of their observations.

oh some of us realized all right--either way i am not getting into that and i am glad that they voted to donate more to comm2A. i know fred was a big part of that and he's a great guy.

...If you want to see some "combat pistol craft" from the Fudd generation, that is simultaneously hilarious and horrifying, take 28 minutes, with the good stuff starting at 4:55:

I suppose you're talking about the instructor changing mags and charging the pistol with his finger inside the trigger guard, but he *did* say the right hand should be pushing forward, so I'm sure that was safe.

He was a certified firearms instructor, after all!

I suppose you're talking about the instructor changing mags and charging the pistol with his finger inside the trigger guard, but he *did* say the right hand should be pushing forward, so I'm sure that was safe.

And how about the drill at 9:30, where he lines the students up against the target and fires off a few rounds on either side of them? I can't wait to try that with my kids.

And how about the drill at 9:30, where he lines the students up against the target and fires off a few rounds on either side of them? I can't wait to try that with my kids.

Wasn't there a thread last year about some trainer out west who does that? Even a video, IIRC. Guess we know now where he got the idea from!

My favorite part of the OSS video was the "shoot house", and the whispered commands. Really helped set the scene. [wink]

I think he got about 12 shots out of that 1911 without reloading, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, especially the part where the instructor and students were loading like that, while pointing right at each other's bellies.

The OSS training looks quaint and silly now, but that was cutting-edge at the time. They seem to have been the first serious users of shoot-houses, for example.

Remember this is the 1940s: It would be more than a decade before Cooper started thinking about "The Modern Technique" and two decades later, Bill Jordan was still winning gunfights with a S&W Combat Magnum drawn from a cowboy-rig and shot from the hip.

The OSS training looks quaint and silly now, but that was cutting-edge at the time. They seem to have been the first serious users of shoot-houses, for example.

Remember this is the 1940s: It would be more than a decade before Cooper started thinking about "The Modern Technique" and two decades later, Bill Jordan was still winning gunfights with a S&W Combat Magnum drawn from a cowboy-rig and shot from the hip.

Thank you for pointing out just how new the "modern technique" is. Cooper and Weaver and the whole crew in So CA really get credit for starting it. Police well into the 1970's (at which time many Fudds were young men) were still learning to fire single action mode from .38 Spl Revolvers, one hand in pocket, in classic target stance. The Police Practical Pistol Course was considered state of the art. Up until the adoption of the M14 Rifle in the late 50's early 60's (lots of Fudds were draftees then) the M1 Rifle with it's eight shot clip was standard.

The assault weapon concept, the modern technique of pistolcraft have evolved in less than one lifetime (like my lifetime so far) many of you simply do not realize how far we have come in a very short period. Flashlight mounted guns, laser sights, M13 rails didn't exist even 20 years ago and the updates and doo-dads for the AR family of rifles has proliferated since 9/11.

Does anybody remember the FBI crouch, and master handgunner FBI Agent "Jelly" Brice who taught one handed point shooting? Probably not, or Chic Gaylord? Probably not? Look these guys up and see where gunslinging was several decades ago.

Back
Top Bottom