• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Free LTC Renewal at 70-Not So???

Billsail

NES Member
My LTC expires on my 70th birthday. Well it seems I'll be missing out on a "senior citizen" benefit that I thought I'd be getting. If I'm still around for my next renewal, I'll get it then, six years down the road.

I know some here in the forum will flame me, and say that no one should get any benefits from .gov, but hey, I've been paying for a license for 40 years...throw me a bone?

From my town PD website:

4. Costs

LTC (new applicant and renewals unless 70+) $100
LTC renewal over 70+ years of age $0
FID (new applicant and renewals) $100
FID (15-17 Yrs old) $25
Chemical (new applicant and renewals) $25
Anyone over the age of 70, meaning 70 + 1 day, is eligible to receive a permit renewal free of charge.

I say this is BS, and if I'm 70 years and one minute old, I'm over 70!

/feeble rant

The law (and the training for LOs) is clear that the intent of that exemption was that if the date your new LTC is to become valid is your 70th birthday, you get it free. You might get CJIS/FRB to provide a proper explanation to present to your chief.

There are some PDs (and my PD has been guilty of this in the past I am told) refuse to do that and pocket the $100 (since they will not get billed the $75 from CJIS)! Shady, crooked dealings but we all should be used to that by now! [angry]

I'm in the same boat as you but have some years to go. I'm hoping not to be in MA by then and likely will have to deal with a different chief (if still in MA) by then.

My 83 year old grandmother still has her LTC in Gloucester and I'm pretty sure she hasn't had to pay to renew for awhile. She's kept a loaded S&W model 36 snub in the house since the 60s. God bless her.

I know some here in the forum will flame me, and say that no one should get any benefits from .gov, but hey, I've been paying for a license for 40 years...throw me a bone?

I wouldn't say that. they're charging you for an illegitimate purpose in the first place. This is not to be compared to asking for free housing. If I stopped by your house everyday to collect money for allowing you to live, are you a freeloader for asking me to stop? Anyone that says otherwise is institutionalized by the gov. Your right to carry IS but should not be contingent on the amount of money you have in your pocket.

Good for you if you can renew for free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How likely is it for the high cost of license issuance to be combated in court at some point?

Sometimes you wonder if the local PD realize that the taxpayers pay their salary. Doesn't hurt to be nice either.

That said, my last renewal was on my 69th birthday so I'm looking forward to the bonus years, if I live long enough. Gonna get one f those free sporting licenses too.

I wouldn't say that. they're charging you for an illegitimate purpose in the first place. This is not to be compared to asking for free housing. If I stopped by your house everyday to collect money for allowing you to live, are you a freeloader for asking me to stop? Anyone that says otherwise is institutionalized by the gov. Your right to carry IS but should not be contingent on the amount of money you have in your pocket.

Good for you if you can renew for free!

You're right! They're not giving me anything.

How likely is it for the high cost of license issuance to be combated in court at some point?

I thought about this as well, but by the time it works its way through the courts, $100 will be worth 100 cents!

If anyone flames you based on the "logic" that you getting an LTC for free is somehow a benefit, they deserve to be banned from the forum.

My dad was able to renew on his 70th birthday this past September - no charge. Still hasn't received the new ltc btw...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I applied for renewal in December, turning 70 on March birthday. Pd said won’t issue license till birthday.....and took my check. Sometime in January, got my renewed license in the mail.....along with my uncashed check.....meaning at least one PD does it right.

Back
Top Bottom