• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Followed home from the range

I disagree. If it made you uncomfortable, treat it like a potential threat. Don't dismiss it.

The voice in your head telling you something ain't right is there for a reason. Listen to it. If you think you're bing followed, take some minor action that will drop the tail.

I've actually never considered it in a CCW self-defense context as I read it long before I got my LTC, but "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker is a must-read on this issue of trusting your instincts. Dismissing instinctual fear or concern as an overreaction is a big mistake. If you rely on your fear, the worst case is that you're embarrassed. If you fail to follow it, worst case is you're dead. We're still not too far removed from primal animals in our instincts, and when something makes the hair on your neck stand up, there's a reason for that.

I agree 100%. I have always trusted my instincts and have seldom been wrong. I don't understand some of these "confrontational" ideas. Think about it. If this person(s) mean you harm why would you stop and leave the protection of your vehicle which affords at least some cover and a means of escape from harm. IMO it is less about what your rights are and more about the safest way to remove yourself from a potentially dangerous situation. TV heroes always win, but in real life I fear the odds are much lower. Do the smart moves ( evasive) and if you get "painted" into a corner then, well, I guess you drop into SHTF mode.

it was probably a BRP range occifer doing compliance checks.

Really, Is that in their job description? Also as a BRP member, I would be so pissed!
Would a range officer start to think they're cops? Honestly, all the brp officers there have just been friendly and helpful so I am not sure if this is a legit asumtion.

I'd just pull into a half-way busy parking lot (Hannafords or something). If they pulled in behind you, I'd simply ask "Can I F***ing help you?".
I have no idea where the local police stations are around here.

Really, Is that in their job description? Also as a BRP member, I would be so pissed!
Would a range officer start to think they're cops? Honestly, all the brp officers there have just been friendly and helpful so I am not sure if this is a legit asumtion.

OB1's comment was either trying to be funny or . . .

As a BR&P RO who attends almost every RO meeting we have, I can say unequivocally that staking out or tailing people is NOT part of the job and would not be tolerated by the officers of BR&P. Our job is strictly on the outdoor ranges, although we are expected to do walk-thrus on the indoor ranges just to make sure they are used safely.

MA has laws that are frequently enforced about "darked out sedans" (my town stops and tags lots of them each week), so the odds are that it was indeed a LEO. Could the OP's car have had expired plates/inspection sticker? [I see this all the time as I'm driving.] Could the car fit the description of a recent vehicle involved in a bank robbery, home invasion, etc. (there has been a lot of "activity" lately on that Patriot Ledger scanner utility)?

Whatever the reason, it was weird and the fact that it happened on BR&P property isn't a whole lot different than if it happened at the Avon Wal-Mart. The best advice was to call 911 and drive directly to Braintree PD while trying to get a plate number while on-route.

I vote for "evasion".

Also, when puling into a Dunkin Donuts or whatever, make sure you still have an opportunity to exit in case the threat escalates (e.g. they get out of their vehicle when you stop) so don't pull into a parking space or behind another vehicle.

If they resume following, I would definitely call the local PD.

Personally, I wouldn't opt for confrontation. I'm sure they would break if you pull into a local PD station, unless they're a LEO. If you confront them and it gets hairy, it could mean getting tailored for your new two-piece suit in County Orange.

Slow down, pull along side the tail car, and light up a Newport. It's the equivalent to racking a shotgun in the dark...
;-)

-JR

You should've just pulled into the nearest river for a hot extract.

In all seriousness that's pretty messed up. As many others have said, best thing to do after you take several right turns is to call 911, drive to a police station and try to get a plate number.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for "evasion".

Also, when puling into a Dunkin Donuts or whatever, make sure you still have an opportunity to exit in case the threat escalates (e.g. they get out of their vehicle when you stop) so don't pull into a parking space or behind another vehicle. . . .

As a young 'un, I was driving my car to my insurance agent.

My insurance was lapsed, my registration expired and my license had an old address.

So, being very much food-centric, I stopped at the Dunkin Donuts, about 2 blocks before my insurance agent's office, where my renewed registration, insurance stamp and address sticker for my license were awaiting me.

Never go to Dunkin Donuts with an expired registration. No cruisers when I arrived, but three cruisers surrounded me as I left.

When they FINALLY checked the computer, the registration had been renewed (the previous day by the agent) and stamped and they had my correct address. After a half hour or so they let me go without any tickets.

Yea ........... who's following who NOW! LOL

While this would have been hilarious to see someone else do we just wanted to avoid any reason to be pulled over. This would be a perfect "you're driving was suspicious" excuse.

Also, the ROs at Braintree have been pretty decent. Sure it would be better to not have anyone watching over you there, but most of the time they are just talking to one another, shooting, or making casual conversation with someone while reloading.

Just went back there now and put a few hundred rounds downrange. Figured if it was a cop and they wanted to make me uncomfortable there, I might as well go shoot more and come home to reload so I can do it again!

Braintree PD does NOT have "access to the club". There are plenty of LEO members at that club, as individuals.

If this is the case, are these paid members the officers that regularly do "drive byes" in the parking lot?

Are they members just "making sure" everything is peachy? Because I can't count how many times a unmarked / marked cruiser travels the length of the parking lot and then leaves afterwards when I shoot on the weekends.

Your statement, to me, doesn't add up unless these members are busy bodies. Granted, I've let a few officers try out my toys on several occasions and it's been a pure joy, but it's the cruisers that drive slowly down the parking lot and then slowly out to exit that gets on my nerves. It makes me feel like, at this club, that you are being watched. And that you have to be following MGL to a T if you are to be privileged enough to shoot there. I could see how some people would welcome this. Unfortunately, I don't like this feeling of excessive parenting.

Last edited:
...2. Part of it me say's this is a validated threat to my person and I have a right (in Mass.) to at least confront and see WTF is going on. The problem lies with the Mass. law regarding a duty to retreat. Do I have a right to confront this guy and ask why he is following me or not?

Hell of a situation. I think I would have contacted 911...

First of all, how do you retreat when you don't want to lead the guy to your house? I guess the PD is the best answer to that. Second, how do you contact 911 from a car? On weekends, I usually leave my cell phone in the house.

I like the rotary idea, and the Newport might be good too. I just thought you could pull in to some parking lot, and start making an eight point backup parking manouver. When the other guy finally parks, just pull out and leave. That, or wait at a green light until it turns yellow, then gun it and force them to run a red. (all in fun, guys).

Last edited:
flintoid,

I've seen marked and unmarked at the club, I've seen many come in OC'g with a badge on their belt too. AFAIK, these are all members of the club.

When I belonged to a local club, I used to do a drive thru frequently whether it was in a cruiser or my personal vehicle. That club also had >20 break-ins on the "out buildings" where vandals stole and damaged items in the buildings as well as broke the doors to the buildings. I can't fault any officer for doing this to try to make sure that vandals don't have free reign on BR&P. It would be a different thing if the officers got out and walked person to person, demanding to see LTCs and inspecting guns/mags, but I've never seen that happen.

At the last NES shoot at Mansfield F&G, a Mansfield cruiser came in to "check it out". A few minutes later he was shooting some NES'rs toys and called his Sgt to drop by to shoot and ogle the goodies too! Obvious to me (I saw them but didn't say anything to them) they were gun-nuts like most of us and that makes them "welcome guests" in my book. YMMV

A friend used to carry a pocket full of washers when on his Harley. You can guess the rest. Not wise in my mind. As for the OP, were you waving the CCW sash out the window? That'll usuallly stop any perceived threat cold.

I'd just pull into a half-way busy parking lot (Hannafords or something). If they pulled in behind you, I'd simply ask "Can I F***ing help you?".

I agree with this guy.
I would confront them in this manner before calling 911..

I have no idea where the local police stations are around here.

I wouldnt. It isnt my job to elevate the interaction, especially if everything goes south after that.

. . . At the last NES shoot at Mansfield F&G, a Mansfield cruiser came in to "check it out". A few minutes later he was shooting some NES'rs toys and called his Sgt to drop by to shoot and ogle the goodies too! Obvious to me (I saw them but didn't say anything to them) they were gun-nuts like most of us and that makes them "welcome guests" in my book. YMMV

The Village Idiot Fundraiser. For some reason there was a noise complaint so they stopped in to check it out. Of course everything was above board so as you say he stayed and tried some goodies.

It was a car or truck shoot and I understand he was heard commenting (after viewing the confetti up close) that he would never regard his cruiser as cover again.

The Village Idiot Fundraiser. For some reason there was a noise complaint so they stopped in to check it out. Of course everything was above board so as you say he stayed and tried some goodies.

It was a car or truck shoot and I understand he was heard commenting (after viewing the confetti up close) that he would never regard his cruiser as cover again.

No, this was two different events in different locations.

Regrettably, I didn't make the Village Idiot fundraiser, but I was at the NES/MF&G Shoot last year where/when my story took place.

Where I live, the Police are few and far between. You learn to watch out for yourself and your neighbors. If all the bad guys have to worry about is the Police, they can pretty much do what they want. If they have to worry about all the rest of us, they find something else to do, or someplace else to do it.

We had an incident on my road just last week. I won't go into a ton of detail, but suspicious guys parked in neighbors dooryard, another neighbor goes and asks them "WTF are you guys doing over here?". They stumble around, stammer, and basically beat feeet out of there. Good neighbor gets Lic. plate # and it gets forwarded to the Sherrif Dept.. Dirt Bags now know they might want to move on to another area. That's called community policing.

I've never lived anywhere else, so I don't know the dangers you guys have down there. Maybe what I described wouldn't be a good play down there; I don't know. I wouldn't live in a place where it wasn't.

Have you considered the possibility they may be BATFE. They have been known to troll gun clubs, when they can get away with it. They have been 'made' at my club in the past, so I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom