Followed home from the range

Ok, so as the title says, my buddy and I were followed home from BRP just now. We were packing our gear into the car when a blacked out car comes into the lot, goes to the end, bangs a u-turn and slowly passes us before heading back towards the main lot. We thought it was odd but didn't think much more. Then as we are heading out, we notice the same car idling in the main lot across parking spaces. I had to run inside for a second and when I came out, he was still there watching my buddy. At this point we assumed it was a cop and as we leave he follows, taking every turn, getting on the highway, changing lanes with us, and eventually gets off at the last Braintree exit. Has anyone else had this happen there or am I just being paranoid? I've been going there for over a year and thought it was pretty odd.

I hope you did not lead him directly to your house as soon as you realized that you were followed?
Maybe someone looking where to get guns at the next break in.

If you ever think or know you are being followed get their license # and make a note of the car make and as much information about the vehicle and its occupants as possible and never go to your house.
Drive to a police station.

BRP as in Braintree? Last I checked, a valid membership key coded card opens the gate. Was the gate left up for a meeting or special function?
Your report is a bit unsettling. I'd report it to the club president if I were you. There's no way to know if this is an isolated incident or if it has happened before.
There's no harm in offering a head's up to the membership.
Best regards.

I would have called the State Police and reported it. NEVER drive to your house, drive to a police station, and make sure I was carrying at all times if you have a LTC A to carry unrestricted. This is unsettling, especially since I am a member to BRP.

Sorry, should have worded it better. We were on our way home when he followed us but he got off at the last Braintree exit (so didn't follow us all the way). We assumed it was a Braintree cop because of that. It was a black Ford 500. I thought of the gate thing too and it was closed each time we saw it.

Why didn't you just pull over and see what happened? If it was a cop he would have pulled over with you and you could find out what he wanted. If it was a scumbag he would have kept going more than likely. I have had marked cruisers follow me and pulled over. When they pulled in behind me I simply explained that I don't like being followed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sorry, should have worded it better. We were on our way home when he followed us but he got off at the last Braintree exit (so didn't follow us all the way). We assumed it was a Braintree cop because of that. It was a black Ford 500. I thought of the gate thing too and it was closed each time we saw it.
Since the security gate was working I assume the driver was a member who used his key to get in. Perhaps the club can determine who's coming in and out based on gate openings if an event triggered an investigation. I suspect the driver was just making lane changes based on traffic as you did. As for idling in the lot, maybe he was just making a phone call to find out if his buddy was meeting him there or some place else. I wouldn't worry too much but I would definitely "keep my head up and eyes open" when coming or going from any gun club.
If you ever suspect you're being followed, follow the advice given by other posters: don't go directly home.
Best regards.

I hope you did not lead him directly to your house as soon as you realized that you were followed?

This. Any time you think you are being followed, take three right turns. Two right turns might be coincidence, but three is enemy action. At that point, call 911 on your cell phone and drive to the nearest police station. Do not drive home. You don't want the guy to know where you live.

I wouldn't break out the tinfoil hat just yet. i am sure that the club can tell you who left just before or after you and they must have cameras.

I am always carrying 2 loaded handguns when I leave the range just because it is easier to carry them holstered

If you ever think or know you are being followed get their license # and make a note of the car make and as much information about the vehicle and its occupants as possible and never go to your house.
Drive to a police station.

This. Especially driving to the PD. Your town PD would be the best.

It could have been a private investigator or an insurance investigator, neither of which knew their business apparently. I wouldn't tin foil hat just yet, but I would ask your buddy if he made an insurance claim. Best I got for you.

Since you knew it was a tail, apparently, this advice isn't necessarily germane but, the best way to shake a tail is to hit the highway, take an exit, get back on the opposite direction highway, and keep doing that sporadically. It's what Aldrich Ames did anyways, and it took them a while to catch his ass.

does sound very odd to me. BPD is only 5 minutes from the BRP and if you got on the highway at the rotary where the BPD is you were close by. That being said that exit right there(exit 17) is the only braintree exit unless you were up at exit 6 for the mall exit.. heading north next one is Quincy center. may be worth a call to the BPD to ask them if they had a car in there tailng people. Worth a shot

The police aren't going to tell you if someone is tailing people. I think a blacked out ford 500 would be a statie most likely (from seeing them drive these), but I could be wrong.

does sound very odd to me. BPD is only 5 minutes from the BRP and if you got on the highway at the rotary where the BPD is you were close by. That being said that exit right there(exit 17) is the only braintree exit unless you were up at exit 6 for the mall exit.. heading north next one is Quincy center. may be worth a call to the BPD to ask them if they had a car in there tailng people. Worth a shot

yeah, and i would assume the BPD would probably have access to the range.

I would have stopped my car in the middle of 93 and open fired. Period. Nothing else to be said. Bad guys are now dead.

That there was Sarcasm. [laugh] I would've done a few turns like the others said, and if followed further, called 911. Don't need no trouble with scum bags in this state. they have more rights than you.

are you or your buddy out of work on disability or suing for a car acciddent. I work as a private investigator and follow people all day every day. Over the last 3 years i've only been made 3 or 4 times.... most people are oblivious and I usually leave a buffer car between me and my target car. a lot more on the highway.... If you have the plate I can run it for you.

I had this happen to me and my dad but it was when we were comming back from a car show in his hot rod, its quite messed up to know that someone was actually following you,

what we did was head down a road you would never go down and take a right at the end of if you knew the area, most people know that the road meets back up to the main road you just came from,

we hammered down after they followed us down it, but as luck would have it we did loose them quite easily, with the help of a car that they had to stop for before they could turn, and the 600hp hot rod made good use of that small delay.

its_go_time-1.png

Why didn't you just pull over and see what happened? If it was a cop he would have pulled over with you and you could find out what he wanted. If it was a scumbag he would have kept going more than likely. I have had marked cruisers follow me and pulled over. When they pulled in behind me I simply explained that I don't like being followed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bad juju. If he's off duty or non in uniform, you have to guess if he's a cop or potential bad guy when he approaches your car. Guess wrong in either director and you're in a heap of hurt. This makes about as much sense as stopping a pedestrian who looks out of place to ask him to explain his private lawful activity.

This. Any time you think you are being followed, take three right turns. Two right turns might be coincidence, but three is enemy action. At that point, call 911 on your cell phone and drive to the nearest police station. Do not drive home. You don't want the guy to know where you live.

^^^ this

Back
Top Bottom