Folding Knives Opinions

Do any of these hold up on a boat? I go through cheap leatherman knives real quick with pocket carry on my boat. They seize up like crazy. I wouldn't have a problem spending $$ on a decent knife as long as it would resist rusting up. The zt knives look beautiful.

Do any of these hold up on a boat? I go through cheap leatherman knives real quick with pocket carry on my boat. They seize up like crazy. I wouldn't have a problem spending $$ on a decent knife as long as it would resist rusting up. The zt knives look beautiful.

Spyderco has a salt line of knives that are meant for work on a boat.

Who has ever had a knife checked for length I've had to turn in knives at federal buildings never checked once

Spyderco has a salt line of knives that are meant for work on a boat.

Currently have the spyderco dragonfly salt in H1 steel and it has held up really well in salt water. Only thing I do after salt exposure is do a quick rinse of with tap water and a quick shake. The steel substitutes nitrogen for carbon so it should not rust.

With the nitrogen substitution the steel is soft so I would not get it for heavy duty or in a plain edge. However, if you get it in a serrated edge it becomes what's called work hardened and the edge becomes very strong, sharp, and will last a while.

Last edited:
It doesn't meet you made in the USA requirement (made in Taiwan), but I have a CRKT combat folder that has served me well for nearly two decades.

I picked it up when I was in the Corps and carried it everywhere every day until my EAS, and have carried it nearly every day since.
f4b800f4ae6bd11430eb17c67e4031dd.jpg

48299d3e68c1905b92f22f2824eb8d9a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

It doesn't meet you made in the USA requirement (made in Taiwan), but I have a CRKT combat folder that has served me well for nearly two decades.

I picked it up when I was in the Corps and carried it everywhere every day until my EAS, and have carried it nearly every day since.
f4b800f4ae6bd11430eb17c67e4031dd.jpg

48299d3e68c1905b92f22f2824eb8d9a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thing barely looks used lol

I carry a ZT 0350ST every day. If I ever lost it, I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I will openly admit that it is big - takes up quite a bit of space in the pocket.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

go ahead and buy your fancy 100+ knife, but first try an Opinel. Just trust me. Been in my EDC for 5 years and I'm never going back. Once they're broken in it's pretty easy to open with a minor flick of the thumb. I've even had a couple that I got loose enough to "flick open" but you lose too much rigidity at that point imo.

SigTac Pterodactyl. They've been discontinued for several years but if you can find a well loved one, they are great EDC pieces. I've had one for 7 years now.
sigtac-pterodactyl-green-lg.jpg

Last edited:
go ahead and buy your fancy 100+ knife, but first try an Opinel. Just trust me. Been in my EDC for 5 years and I'm never going back. Once they're broken in it's pretty easy to open with a minor flick of the thumb. I've even had a couple that I got loose enough to "flick open" but you lose too much rigidity at that point imo.

I love mine, but I have a hard time trusting it for anything but very minor tasks. The thing always gives me the feeling I'm going to snap the blade. It's excellent for eating lunch out on the trail or breaking down boxes.

Of course, it's no big deal if I do snap it; they cost about $14 or so to replace.

Been carrying the spyderco paramilitery 2 for a few years. Love it. S30V steel has treated me well. I hear a lot of buzz about the benchmades as well! Adamas were a bit big for what I wanted to carry but they are a solid knife for sure. Mini griptilian I hear a lot too. PM2 is american made, but not all spydercos are made in usa fyi.

PM2
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Spyderco Salt H1, carry it all the time, even while scuba diving....https://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-knife-salt-sp-c89sbk.html
View attachment 178956

I have a spyderco Rescue knife that I carry a lot in the summer. Its the predecessor to the Salt H1. It goes right in my bathing suit pocket every time I'm on the boat or at the beach. It was designed as a rescue / sailing knife so its 100% serrated with a blunt tip. Its going on 10 years old now with no rust. I don't give it any special treatment other than that at the end of the day I rinse it in fresh water and put it on my night stand to dry. If you are worried about corrosion, the Spyderco stuff is pretty resistant.

Gerber propel auto, love it, want a benchmade CLA, just pricey!!

bladeops.com, great prices and service!!

So for anyone wanting to see these in person the US Army Barracks on Rt1 north in Saugus carries all the popular brands. I did some hands on shopping and to me the Benchmade felt cheap in comparison to the Emerson CQC the Zero Tolerance and the Spyderco. The ZT had the smoothest flipping action to me and had the right size in all characteristics. Spydercos were nice looking and feeling but all were Taiwan made, Emerson felt extremely sturdy and had a great weight to it.

After reading about and watching reviews had to order a Para 2.Just got it today and all I can say is WOW! Just awesome. .. 20180326_214358.jpg

CRKT or go home: You can't beat it for a $30 knife (and yes, I have knives 10-20 times the cost).

I've had the same Emerson for my EDC for 20+ years and usually also carry a cheap cold steel as a throwaway if needed.

Benchmade 490 - assisted flipper (no thumb stud to hang up on stuff and tear up your pockets). Thin, light, not super tactical looking but a hell of a knife, it's my EDC. Finish is beadblasted smooth but not slippery.
Benchmade 470-1 is a somewhat smaller assisted with a thumb stud, plenty fine for a pocket knife, just a bit more delicate looking, doesn't seem like a "full-size" folder to me, even though the actual blade like difference seems negligible. The 490 fits my hand better as well. Finish is a bit tackier, not as satin-y like the 490.
Benchmade 477 is a heavy truck of a knife, similar profile to the 470 but larger, lock on the back. The finish on this is almost like model sandpaper, very sticky.

Both have the 490 and 470-1 lock on the side (as opposed to the 477 on the spine), which I vastly prefer. The flipper is basically like having an automatic, the button is just on the back... Again, both are like super light compared to some others I've tried.

I've given the 477 as a gift because it's a chunky heavy piece of hardware and seemed like a guy knife, but honestly I should have given one of the others, the 477 isn't really nice to carry. Hence why I carry the 490.

They're all easy to open and close one-handed, which is why I like the assisted openers.

For the fellow blade lovers they added a knife forum section on the site.

I EDC a little Gerber Air Ranger knife. It's nothing fancy but has held up well to over a years abuse.

Back
Top Bottom