• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Folding Knives Opinions

Aright I seem to have lost my Kershaw Leek and have substituted with cheap knives and they flat out suck. So I'm ready to step back up to a good knife after experiencing the differences first hand. I have been looking at Zero Tolerance and Benchmade. It's essentially going to be an EDC knife used to cut random stuff like boxes and small rope etc.

I'd like to gather people experiences with knives.

The knife MUST be made in USA, be a folder and I prefer assisted opening. Let's hear what you guys think.

I got a Benchmade Adamas auto.....awesome hard use knife. A little on the large size but it's quite the knife. Also got a ZT but is so heavy. Another nice one is the Spyderco Para 2....another sweet knife.

We just did this a few months ago. This thread will probably go the same way. Might as well read this thread first.

We just did this a few months ago. This thread will probably go the same way. Might as well read this thread first.

I searched and didn't even see that, thanks. Almost seems to focus on Benchmade though, maybe we will get more this time around [grin]

I dont think you can go wrong with either brand, I have a ZT0700 that I got for cheap and its sweet. However if I was going to get a nice folder now I would go for the benchmade triage, just because it has some good features for getting out of a car in an emergency etc so its slightly more useful than just a folder.

I started the last thread I got a griptillian which is a nice blade and I just picked up an Osborne at Marlboro for 150 I love both will be getting another brnchmade soon

I searched and didn't even see that, thanks. Almost seems to focus on Benchmade though, maybe we will get more this time around [grin]

Right, but the point is that so many folks here recommend Benchmades (including me) that you'll likely end up getting one anyway. Not for nothing, but this topic comes up at least twice a year; usually the same result.

Chris Reeve small Sebenza.
Benchmade Osborne 940.
Spyderco Delica ZDP-189

OK they are not assisted and the Spyderco is made in Japan.
These are all premium folders of a practical size. Don't buy
too much knife. A blade 2-3" is perfect for EDC, and assisted
knives are overrated anyway. Personally, the 940 is my favorite
but I carry and use the Spydie and the Sebenza a lot also.

Chris

I rotate between a Spyderco Tenacious, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Kershaw Skyline, and a Spyderco Ambitious (when length limits come into play..i.e. Boston). They all keep their edge well and can be made razor sharp with little effort.

Last edited:
Benchmade 940s get a lot of hype, but they really do deserve it. I have not found something better from an EDC point of view. ZT makes nice blades, but in my case they run big for all day pocket carry and the smaller offerings are a bit stabby looking for the office. The sebenza is too pricey for me to hand to someone to use without "fretting" over what they are doing with it.

Benchmade mini griptillian w/ serrated edge is my daily carry. Wears well and pretty durable for a factory knife.

But also really love ZT0560 and ZT0801. Detent on the blades are a little loose(can be adjusted if preferred), and the actual knives are pretty bulky, but they stay sharp and feel good in hand.

I have not purchased new knife in many years... for EDC My kershaws, Buck and Gerber have all done the job and keep on going. I dont know if they knives are still USA made or not..... I just cant see spending much more for EDC.
survival or SHTF I might reconsider.

this is my EDC back and forth to work, weddings , parties ect ect. I dont remember when I bought this knife but the model is still available LEEK I had to buy this about 8 years ago ?

At work its a classic Buck knife

For fishing and days I know I will need a knife I have a larger Folding gerber... I have a few others also but these are the 3 i use often.

I had a large knife collection late 80s early 90s 130 pieces some nice many not so much. I sold it all except a few to fund my house purchase....

Last edited:
I've carried a scallion and a mini grip with the modified sheepsfoot everyday for over 10 years. Also have a leek but it doesn't get the pocket time it deserves. As you already know, it is a super knife also.

You need to carry what you think is best for YOU.

I lean towards Benchmade. I've carried the 530/531 - just required too nimble of fingers.

I've carried knives like Adamas with that high clip - that sucks when carried in jeans. Can push itself out of your pocket. And harder to grasp and remove from said jeans pocket.

My current "normal" carry is a Benchmade Barrage. A tad bulky, but it gets the job done. You could go mini-Barrage and get most of the benefits.

Your other alternative is a good Spyderco. That fat hole is the best for non-assist knives. My alternative carry (shorts, etc.,) is a small Spyderco.

I'm hoping anyone carrying an AUTO is living outside of MA. Yeeks!

Benchmade's customer service is second to none. All my EDC work knives are theirs. +1.

Ive sent them an Infidel back in a zip lock baggy after letting the magic out and opening it up. No questions. Good as new.

I have a ZT 0550. The knife is built like a brick shithouse, and online torture tests were impressive, but mine seems to have a soft blade. It doesn't stay sharp worth a damn. I keep meaning to send it to ZT to have them look at it.

That said, my favorite knife is my Spyderco Manix II. I love the knife. It stays sharp, it's extremely comfortable in hand, and the blade profile is perfect for any kind of cutting I do. I also love the lock mechanism. It's easy to snap open, and just as easy to close. That's the best part. I can close it and put it back into my pocket just as easy as I can retrieve and open it.

I know certain towns have blade length restrictions but the general consensus of the state is what length for carrying a folder?

My EDC knife is a Zero Tolerance 0620CF. Tank of a knife. Bought it to replace my lost Emerson CQC-7.

I generally carry small knives but the benchmade pardue axis has a 3.5 inch blade and weighs only 1.8 ounces.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016QL0GGE?psc=1

For me, its either that benchmade or a spyderco dragonfly 2.

I find I use a knife multiple times per day and almost never need anything longer than a couple of inches.

41-CdcWrz3L._SX450_.jpg

Zero tolerance 0566 is my preferred edc. It's not nearly as bulky as other zt's and is still built like a tank. It rides well in the pocket and is deep carry with your choice of the 4 normal positions. Lastly and maybe most importantly it has Elmax steel which is superb. It's considered a super steel and for good reason. It has a high hardness, but is not prone to chipping. It will hold a razor sharp edge for a really long time and when it's time to sharpen, it usually only needs a light touch up. Plus it's stainless.

The blade is 3 1/4" so it's legally practically everywhere in New England except Boston and Rhode Island.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom