First revolver..what to look for

I have owned a 686 with the 4" barrel for years. Just a great gun. Great sights, great trigger. Still one of my favorites.
38 special is almost no recoil. 357 magnum packs a wallop but is not unpleasant to shoot at all.
It's a great gun to teach newbies to shoot with and revolvers tend to slow people down a bit. Hand a newbie a Sig 226 with a full 15 round mag and the first 3 rounds are slow and deliberate, then they become Mel Gibson and try to shoot a smiley face.

And when looking at revolvers, you want to make sure you don't see this:
1601979868801.png

I have a S&W 19-3 and it is my favorite handgun. I have probably shot 10000 rounds through it (not all .357). Around the same time I bought the 19 I also purchased a Python and the Colt sat unused and the S&W went everywhere. I do have several trophies with the Smith when I used to do Bullseye. I could compete using two out of the box Smiths (K-22 and the 19) against hot rodded guns. My 1911A1 was worked over by Alton Dinan from CT. I would have a hard time buying a new Smith, that friggin hole drives me batty.
Yeah, the hideously ugly "lock" was the last straw for me. Totally unnecessary political silliness. It's just crazy. [thinking]

686 is a fine revolver. I don't have one, but numerous friends do and I've shot a couple of theirs.

Two thoughts -
1) Is there any reason you're set on .38/.357?
S&W also makes the 986 which is a 9mm revolver. I've been seeing a fair number of these lately and the owners I've spoken to are quite happy with them.

2) Is there any reason you're set on S&W?
I have (2) GP100's - and while there's a lot of hate out there for Ruger, (just look at this thread), I'm happy with both of mine. I've got a SS w/6" barrel that I bought in 2011 and I have no complaints with it. I've also got a Wiley Clapp model with a ~3 inch barrel that I picked up a couple years ago - and again - no complaints.

Oh, going all high tech with that double action thingy going on.
Try a Ruger New Model Blackhawk and there will be no going back! And yes, it even comes in black! Duh..It's even in it's name..Sheesh..
Old school, single action, tank greatness all the way around!

Why buy a Harley that everyone has? Ride your OWN ride! It's your gun, stop comparing it to everyone else's. Size matters, you angry inch!
Now you can still wear your tassels if you want to and finally be cool and not look like you are going to a Village People reunion.
Own a true classic that is the envy of all the tacti-cool kids at the range! If you can't get it done with six, stay on the porch. Big dog rules!

I can guarantee you one thing, everyone will want to shoot it, especially the hot babes!! PS. there are no hot babes at ranges. Only old hairy guys that smell like formaldehyde..
It truly is a revolver that you will never get bored of or want to sell off for a hooker and some blow. Well, unless your Robert Craft!

They will have to pry it from your cold, dead hands! And they will, when everyone is fighting over who gets your crap when your neighbor calls the popo about a funny rotting smell coming from your mother's basement. You'll be dead anyways, so who cares anyhows.

Wait till you get a nice western style gun fighter belt rig!
Sweet baby Jesus! Just the sight of such a belt and that cold hard steel on a man, makes every woman's panties drop! Even Caitlyn Jenner would be shaking at the knees!
Add a second pistol to that belt and you've just doubled your chances! All 562 different genders can't resist such physical attraction.. You'll never get any sleep again!

It's the world's strongest revolver. Think Chuck Norris is strong..Wrong again!
With ammo being made specifically for it, so powerful and strong it warns others to not even try to use it! Go ahead, make my day! This ain't the DEA's fourtay!

It is easier to clean as well, as the cylinder is removable faster than snot shot out of a one year old. But nowhere near as sticky!

It also, doesn't have a mentally retarded child lock. Why, because it's so safe a five year old could use it and nothing is safer than a Sturm, Ruger!
That's because most Ruger products don't work right out of the box anyways, especially any of their recent offerings...
Nothing a few months return to the factory won't fix. Safety first!

Never mind the fact that anyone in their right mind knows you mean business when you whip this hammer cocked, rosco out![smile]
Look out ol' "Get a shotgun" crazy Joe . There is a new sheriff in town!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2vBtRKCAo

Last edited:
I have to agree the older S&W are "better" and my favorites. I have a model 10-8 that I shoot IDPA with and you can't beat it. Any of the older 2 digit models are good. My first center fire pistol was model 28-3. I still have it.

Oh, going all high tech with that double action thingy going on.
Try a Ruger New Model Blackhawk and there will be no going back!
Old school, single action greatness all the way!
Why buy a Harley that everyone has? Ride your OWN ride!
When you can have a true classic that is the envy of all the tacticool kids at the range!
I can guarantee you one thing, everyone will want to shoot it!
It truly will be a revolver that you will never get bored of or want to sell off for a hooker and some blow.
They will have to pry it from your cold, dead hands!
Wait till you get a nice western style gun fighter belt rig! Sweet baby Jesus! Just the sight of such a belt and pistol on a man, makes a woman's panties drop!

It's the world's strongest revolver. With ammo being made specifically for it, so powerful and strong it warns others to not even try to use it!
It is easier to clean as well, as the cylinder is removable faster than snot out of a one year old.
It also, doesn't have a mentally retarded child lock. Why, because it's so safe a five year old could use it and nothing is safer than a Sturm, Ruger!
Never mind the fact that anyone in their right mind knows you mean business when you whip this rosco out![smile]

View attachment 396998

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y2vBtRKCAo

This is an interesting take on buying a new gun. Years ago (Dirty Harry days) I had to have a S&W 29. I waited a year and a half for it crossing off every day on a calendar. When I finally got in, after a box and a half of commercial ammo, it loosened up all the screws not just one. I sold it in a hurry went out a bought a three screw Super Blackhawk and never thought about a Model 29 again. The Ruger has to be the best trigger,out of the box.I ever had. I never had the conversion done being smart enough to load it with five not six bullets....come on it was just common sense.

I love how these things turn into a roll call of who-has-what.

Op has a question about a new production 686 and it turns into "Muh Model 10 no Hole blerp blerp blerp blah blah blah"
Yes, we get it, you refuse to step out of 1960. Give your Victrolla a few cranks and go fiddle with that points ignition distributor until its time to tune in to Perry Mason and Matlock on your radio picture machine.
Your old steel police trade-in 6 guns are outdated.
New production s.a.s.s. guns are a better options than those old paperweight safe queens.

Yea, the older ones had a habit of shooting the screws loose. Its not an uncommon issue, nor is the hammer nose wearing off, or the cylinder hand wearing out, or the cylinder stop rounding off. Or any other myriad of issues that comes with old tech and even older tempering practices.
You'll hear all the old fudd's and gun store vultures lament about "hillary hole" and how great the old ones are,but they'll never tell you about how .357 or .44 or anything bigger than .38 long colt would rattle the things loose.

I have 2 bricks of win small pistol primes left, so that tells me I'm creepin up on 8000 rounds through the 627, and that things less than 5 yrs old. And I run that thing hard.
Zero issues.

My first revolver was a Ruger GP100 in .357 the thing is a tank. It has been back to the factory twice in the 8 years I've owned it and Ruger customer service is second to none.

I love how these things turn into a roll call of who-has-what.

Op has a question about a new production 686 and it turns into "Muh Model 10 no Hole blerp blerp blerp blah blah blah"
Yes, we get it, you refuse to step out of 1960. Give your Victrolla a few cranks and go fiddle with that points ignition distributor until its time to tune in to Perry Mason and Matlock on your radio picture machine.
Your old steel police trade-in 6 guns are outdated.
New production s.a.s.s. guns are a better options than those old paperweight safe queens.

Yea, the older ones had a habit of shooting the screws loose. Its not an uncommon issue, nor is the hammer nose wearing off, or the cylinder hand wearing out, or the cylinder stop rounding off. Or any other myriad of issues that comes with old tech and even older tempering practices.
You'll hear all the old fudd's and gun store vultures lament about "hillary hole" and how great the old ones are,but they'll never tell you about how .357 or .44 or anything bigger than .38 long colt would rattle the things loose.

I have 2 bricks of win small pistol primes left, so that tells me I'm creepin up on 8000 rounds through the 627, and that things less than 5 yrs old. And I run that thing hard.
Zero issues.
Yes we are a bunch of Ol' Fa*ts, I love Cj's, Big block carbureted engines, Chevy stopped making a real Vette in 1969. Winchester stopped making rifles in 1964, the Walker trigger rules and S&W sucks....come on plastic guns? I remember when Super Vel ruled, Active slugs were the most accurate slug available and the Remington Buckhammer was cheap and deadly. Oh by the way I still listen to vinyl.

Yes we are a bunch of Ol' Fa*ts, I love Cj's, Big block carbureted engines, Chevy stopped making a real Vette in 1969. Winchester stopped making rifles in 1964, the Walker trigger rules and S&W sucks....come on plastic guns? I remember when Super Vel ruled, Active slugs were the most accurate slug available and the Remington Buckhammer was cheap and deadly. Oh by the way I still listen to vinyl.

So there was thing invented called Fuel Injection................

The answer for me lies in older Smith & Wesson revolvers... the older, the better in most cases and obviously not ones that have been beat to Hell or monkeyed with. And if I can't find a suitable vintage S&W for some reason, I'll sometimes go with a brand new all-metal (never plastic) Ruger revolver. At least I'll know that Customer Service will be timely and satisfactory if it needs it.

Going to a Taurus revolver in lieu of a brand new S&W revolver is something I can't imagine, but I can't speak to that from personal experience. Likewise, I have no experience with Rock Island revolvers, although my RI 1911A2 has been flawless.
The answer is older anything, be it S&W, Ruger, Charter Arms, or Colt. Apart from the LCR, I'm hesitant to buy any newly made Ruger. There's no reason to buy a newly made S&W or Charter, and Colt is a collector's gun anyway, so may as well go older for them.

From what I'm hearing from others, new Taurus revolver quality is improving, but you'll still get the occasional fugg up. The repair turnaround times are getting better due to the new factory in Georgia. The bottom line for me is when I pay $600 for Ruger or $800 S&W and I get a flawed revolver in return, but I pay $400 for Taurus and get the same flawed revolver, I can accept it more, whereas with Ruger or S&W I cannot.

So there was thing invented called Fuel Injection................

Fuel injection has been around longer than any of us has been alive.

Back on topic
Been trying to decide on the GP100 v SW for my first revolver for a while now.
Leaning towards the GP because I want new and the lock deal with S&W is a deal breaker.
Sorry I mentioned Ruger in a S&W thread.

Why does the lock bother people? Nobody's forcing you to use it.

Love my K-frame model 66-8 4.25" S&W. I like the medium size k-frame vs the larger frame. balances better and just feels nice. Trigger is like buttah. no issues in five years.

Why does the lock bother people? Nobody's forcing you to use it.

I guess I don't want it out of principle being it was a crammed in there due to some bull shite safety concern by moron politicians.
And the fact that id have to look at it knowing why its there.
Just my preference I suppose.

I guess I don't want it out of principle being it was a crammed in there due to some bull shite safety concern by moron politicians.
And the fact that id have to look at it knowing why its there.
Just my preference I suppose.

Some have been known to remove/disable the lock....not that I would do anything that reckless...but I've read on the internet it can be done....and it was pretty simple...DOH !!!!

Forget about SW revolver barrels not aligned properly. Some have the cylinders cut to the wrong caliber (on purpose). The barrel is an easy fix, the cylinder is not.

I asked SW if I could get a blank cylinder from them to send it out and get cut to the proper dimensions. I am not expecting to hear back from them.

When you get a SW, you have to look at it as getting a KIT gun that you will have to polish and finish. If you expect more, dont spend your money.

That is why you should NEVER pay more for a Performance Center. It is all BS.

If the gun is only for range fun, you will love it.

686 is a fine revolver. I don't have one, but numerous friends do and I've shot a couple of theirs.

Two thoughts -
1) Is there any reason you're set on .38/.357?
S&W also makes the 986 which is a 9mm revolver. I've been seeing a fair number of these lately and the owners I've spoken to are quite happy with them.

2) Is there any reason you're set on S&W?
I have (2) GP100's - and while there's a lot of hate out there for Ruger, (just look at this thread), I'm happy with both of mine. I've got a SS w/6" barrel that I bought in 2011 and I have no complaints with it. I've also got a Wiley Clapp model with a ~3 inch barrel that I picked up a couple years ago - and again - no complaints.

The 9mm revolvers are fun. But the cylinders are cut to .357/.358. At least on the SW 929 are, so I expect it to be the same on all in order to make manufacturing a little easier.

You could always save for a Manurhin MR73... [smile]

1602116472396.png

May I suggest a fine Uberti 1858 Stainless .44/45 with an 8" barrel. To quote a master of many subjects (firearms, love, and style): “There simply is, NO MORE VERSATILE handgun. It should ultimately have 10 cylinders, 4 in black powder, 2 in .45 Colt, and 2 in .45 ACP. This gun gives you the ability to truly hunt. It's a magnum. You have the versatility of black powder, all it's substitutes, round bull, mini ball, full standard .45 Colt, cheaper .45 ACP, and shot shells. Also you can use it as a flare gun, shoot rocks out of it if you have to, and use capgun caps as a last resort for ignition. This is the survivalists gun who hasn't got the means to clean it often.”-Frank

May I suggest a fine Uberti 1858 Stainless .44/45 with an 8" barrel. To quote a master of many subjects (firearms, love, and style): “There simply is, NO MORE VERSATILE handgun. It should ultimately have 10 cylinders, 4 in black powder, 2 in .45 Colt, and 2 in .45 ACP. This gun gives you the ability to truly hunt. It's a magnum. You have the versatility of black powder, all it's substitutes, round bull, mini ball, full standard .45 Colt, cheaper .45 ACP, and shot shells. Also you can use it as a flare gun, shoot rocks out of it if you have to, and use capgun caps as a last resort for ignition. This is the survivalists gun who hasn't got the means to clean it often.”-Frank
Frank? I thought that was Col. Jeff Cooper...

Back
Top Bottom