First Defense Firearms, Uxbridge MA

My two latest firearms came from First Defense. Here's the review I wrote on Yelp:

First Defense Firearms is a great little gun shop in Uxbridge, MA. I’ve bought two firearms there (both used guns on consignment), as well as ammo and a handful of other accessories, and I’ve been extremely happy with every purchase. I’d probably buy a lot more if the shop weren’t 50 miles away, but I’ve made the 100 mile round trip twice already, and I won’t hesitate to do it again.
The shop’s owner, Dennis, opened up about a year ago. Since then his store has blossomed into a solid fixture on the local gun scene. His prices on new firearms are fair, not the best around but certainly reasonable. You can definitely find some deals in his ever changing inventory of used and consignment guns. Ammo prices at First Defense are actually pretty good, probably one of the cheapest shops in the area, and he stocks an incredibly wide selection of quality gear and brand name accessories.
I appreciate his website, although it does leave some to be desired. The site lists some of the new guns he stocks, but doesn’t indicate whether or not they’re in stock. Some have prices listed, some include descriptions, but may do not. I have the same criticism of his consignment listings. I think the biggest improvement Dennis could make to his business is maintaining an online, up to date inventory with prices and descriptions (especially for used and consignment items). It would do wonders for his business, and help those potential customers who live 50 miles away (like myself) visit the shop on a regular basis.
But Dennis makes up for his website’s shortcomings by being super responsive to questions and offering great customer service. He’s quick to answer any questions I email him with, and he always greets me with a friendly smile and a handshake whenever I visit the shop. Last time I visited he was in the middle of selling a customer his first gun, but he stopped briefly to hand over the Ruger he knew I had come to see. While I examined the gun, I watched him walk through the operation of the GLOCK he was selling with his customer. He went to great lengths to show him how to operate it, strip it, and clean it, offering plenty of tips and advice and answering all the customer’s questions along the way. I appreciate the effort Dennis put in, and certainly didn’t mind the wait. Dennis, on the other hand, didn’t hesitate to stay an hour past close to finish my transaction – I’ve seen other reputable shop owners in similar situations ask their customers to put down a deposit and come back another day.
Now that I think about it, maybe it’s a good thing First Defense is so far away from me – if it were close by, I’d be far too tempted to spend far too much money there. It’s such a great shop, it’s hard not to.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/first-defense-firearms-uxbridge#hrid:Ajzx2aCB96n_SHpj2QNnYg

Last edited:
I picked up a lower and some ammo there today and this really is a gem of a store. Their single box price on Federal XM193 is the same as the price you pay at Dick's, after you buy 10 boxes of not so great UMC ammo. Clean, bright, well organized and Dennis & Shelly are friendly and provide great customer service.

Was there yesterday (11/1) with my dad to get my dad his first pistol. Shelly and Dennis were a great help in picking out the M&P9 he decided on. A great store, full of stuff I had to really try hard to not bring home.

I picked up another AR lower there yesterday, as always, A+. I haven't shopped anywhere else since my first purchase there last January.

Purchased an AR lower receiver from First Defense Firearms last weekend, just wanted to add my two thumbs up review. Well stocked store, and very nice people to deal with.

Just wanted to let you all know wat a great shop Dennis and Shelly are running. I just picked up a rifle I order 5 months ago. During that time period, Shelly gave me updates on what was going on and kept on top of the manufacture. Dennis and Shelly offer old school costumer service you don't see a lot today. They are a great team and good people. They offer great selection, great prices, and top notch customer service. Job well done guys.

I had the pleasure of meeting Shelly and Dennis tonight. What a nice couple!
They attended the BFS Primer course at GOAL. This is a great example of retailers that want to give customers the 'right" information! They're on the way to being extremely successful in the gun biz! LTC/FID holders will have a great retail experience at First Defense! [grin]

So, I decided a ride was in order. First Defense is pretty much the ONLY firearms store in eastern mass I HAVENT BEEN TO... till today. Let me preface by saying I had made some asumptions prior to my going.

1. it would be difficult to find... WRONG... its very easy to find, follow the line of people !! :eek:)

2. Dennis, and Shelly were ( in my minds eye) a close to retiring couple. Couldnt have been more wrong there.. More like... the Captain and his prom queen :eek:) Talk about great people.

I have to say, walking in the door, my assumptions were blown away. The shop is SMALLER than I expected. First look inside showed no less than 5 customers. I always think the sign of a good shop is hangarounds. Anyone willing to have someone welcome there just for chatting is good in my book. The girl behind the counter in the scrubs I THOUGHT was gonna turn out to be the owners daughter.. LOL wrong again. Shelly is one cool cat, and knows her stuff, To say nothing of her willingness to help answer questions. She had great Customer service/ attentiveness. She was able to keep up 3 interactions with customers and didnt miss a beat with any of them. The young guy behind the counter whom i assumed was the owners son, turned out to be Dennis himself. He handled the other 3 customers with the same genuine appreciation for their patronage.

The shelves are COMPLETELY stocked with items, because I looked and saw pretty much something for everyone. I havent really seen a selection of firearms PARTS as comprehensive as theirs anywhere else. Their focus I would have to say is LE supplies, but i sure as shootin saw plenty of Items for the hunters, the targeters, and the other public safety guys ( security, EMS, ETC).
I was a little short on credit card lately, but managed a nice S&W knife that Shelly had shown me (notice i didnt say SOLD). She gave me about half a dozen knives to feel, showed me some nice features on a few of them, and then helped me settle on the one I purchased because she saw my FD shirt and noticed this knife had a seatbelt cutter and a window punch in it. I was really pleased with the interaction. Then Dennis and I struck up small talk about certain arms I was looking for, and a few other things. We talked about where I came from, and he was imediately very appreciative that I took the drive ( its about an hour away). He was just as approachable and welcoming as his wife, and I really am glad I waited to take in their shop. It was well worth the hour drive, and I will definitly be making another trip for purchases. I think based on Customer service, I have to add First Defense to my list of top 3 FUN gun shops to go to. Twin Rivers on the way home next time, and Wrights Family Resturaunt I think. :eek:)

Great review FhvnLT4A...all my business continues to go to Dennis and Shelley. 3 recent purchases through First Defense including an MSAR STG-556 (pick this gun up you will like it!!!!). I can never can say enough about the customer focus. There really is nothing like this shop in the area.

So, I decided a ride was in order. First Defense is pretty much the ONLY firearms store in eastern mass I HAVENT BEEN TO... till today. Let me preface by saying I had made some asumptions prior to my going.

1. it would be difficult to find... WRONG... its very easy to find, follow the line of people !! :eek:)

2. Dennis, and Shelly were ( in my minds eye) a close to retiring couple. Couldnt have been more wrong there.. More like... the Captain and his prom queen :eek:) Talk about great people.

I have to say, walking in the door, my assumptions were blown away. The shop is SMALLER than I expected. First look inside showed no less than 5 customers. I always think the sign of a good shop is hangarounds. Anyone willing to have someone welcome there just for chatting is good in my book. The girl behind the counter in the scrubs I THOUGHT was gonna turn out to be the owners daughter.. LOL wrong again. Shelly is one cool cat, and knows her stuff, To say nothing of her willingness to help answer questions. She had great Customer service/ attentiveness. She was able to keep up 3 interactions with customers and didnt miss a beat with any of them. The young guy behind the counter whom i assumed was the owners son, turned out to be Dennis himself. He handled the other 3 customers with the same genuine appreciation for their patronage.

The shelves are COMPLETELY stocked with items, because I looked and saw pretty much something for everyone. I havent really seen a selection of firearms PARTS as comprehensive as theirs anywhere else. Their focus I would have to say is LE supplies, but i sure as shootin saw plenty of Items for the hunters, the targeters, and the other public safety guys ( security, EMS, ETC).
I was a little short on credit card lately, but managed a nice S&W knife that Shelly had shown me (notice i didnt say SOLD). She gave me about half a dozen knives to feel, showed me some nice features on a few of them, and then helped me settle on the one I purchased because she saw my FD shirt and noticed this knife had a seatbelt cutter and a window punch in it. I was really pleased with the interaction. Then Dennis and I struck up small talk about certain arms I was looking for, and a few other things. We talked about where I came from, and he was imediately very appreciative that I took the drive ( its about an hour away). He was just as approachable and welcoming as his wife, and I really am glad I waited to take in their shop. It was well worth the hour drive, and I will definitly be making another trip for purchases. I think based on Customer service, I have to add First Defense to my list of top 3 FUN gun shops to go to. Twin Rivers on the way home next time, and Wrights Family Resturaunt I think. :eek:)

Well, While im not Exclusive... and wouldnt do that just because i firmly believe in spreading my business to my favorite gunshops PLURAL ( and I told dennis that) I am for sure going to share my Business with them. In fact, Shelly has my name on the lookout list for an M-1A, and I will wait till she finds me one to purchase it. They have my business for that one. ( Only fair to my other gunshops who will read this. All good service goes noticed by me)

Anyone that knows me knows I make "the rounds" but I am still amazed at the service and deals found in this shop. Another great find in an old classic Beretta model 70. Thanks Dennis for another great deal! [smile]

Dennis and Shelley are great. The customer service is top rate. The prices are very good. And they have lots of merchandise and accessories. And they know their stuff. They can answer questions on a variety of topics.

I've bought four guns from them in the past month or so. Today I picked up a Sig Mosquito. Dennis told me which ammo to use (CCI high velocity) and to expect a few jams in the first few magazines. Everything he said came true. After 20-30 rounds it shot flawlessly. And it is a great little pistol for the money.

I have one more gun on order with them. They respond quicly to emails about the status. When an item arrives you get a pleasant call.

Finally I generally go to these stores with my 15 year old son. He is treated with respect with his questions answered professionally and with care. As a father that means a lot to me.

The bottom line is they really give a damn. They care about their customers and are interested in growing a business.

In my book they really get it. The competition had better watch out for these guys!

Cheers,

Rich

Another great visit to the store for usual 1911 parts - Ed Brown and Wilson parts..... Their store is first stop for any update or replacement parts that I may need....

Great service and as usual was so tempted to leave with AR parts - Dennis has all of the parts for the LPK (with exception of the pistol grip) and A2 butt stock.

I cant say enough bout the customer service you will recieve at this shop.... small shop.. big hearted owners truely putting customers first. I have gotten no less than 3 telephone calls updating me on something they have ordered for me, and dennis is keeping me up to date on a particular handgun thats not YET MA compliant and when he says he will get it as soon as its compliant... i know where that firearms gonna come from... First Defense Firearms.

Well tonight was my first trip to First Defense and certainly not my last! Brought a friend of mine and neither of us could leave without spending some cash. Lots of AR and 1911 pieces parts, belts, holsters and guns. The local PD was shopping at the same time as me and snapped up a stock I wanted before me [crying] Still nice to see the local PD at the shop getting parts for his project.
This was my take for a first visit.
More on order..[smile]
If you haven't been, go visit! Great shop with two thumbs up [banana]
newparts001.jpg

I cannot say enough good about Frist Defense Firearms

I am extremely impressed with Dennis and Shelley and have been for some time now. However, I now have reached a completely new level of appreciation for them. They provide a top notch customer service and definitely stand by their clients. Both of them handled my Para Ord fiasco better than I ever could have. They spent countless hours on the phone with Para and made sure that my problem was resolved to my satisfaction.

Thank you guys! You rock! [cheers]

Nice to hear - I will be sure to keep that in mind as I love to send business to the right peoples.

I SECOND THE VOTE!!!!! I am going to be up there next week to purchase my first firearm from them... They have gone WAYY out of the way to keep me interested and informed as to the progress of my purchase, and kept me well in the loop on a few other things that they are working on for me...

Understand this.. to date.. they have worked with me for over two months on these projects... i have probably spent a grand total of 100 dolalrs in their establishment.. but they continue to provide me the level of service that they do if i were a personal arms dealer and they my supplier!!! LOL

They are a pair that beat a full house anyday!!

Very nice people. I am a new gun owner and went there after reading the many reviews posted here. I went in and told them right away I was a newbie and they took the time to walk me through everything. I ended up buying a Sig Mosquito. I've been in other gun shops with friends and never felt quite comfortable especially as a newbie. Dennis and Shelley were so far from the opposite of that. I can't see myself going anywhere else.[grin]

If you live in the area you should definitely support this shop. I went in today looking for a .22. I was helped by a member of the forum (scouter rick) and he was more than helpful. I told him I was interested in the walther p22 and he also suggested I try out a ruger. We talked about the pros and cons of each gun and I eventually went with the ruger because it was the right gun for what I wanted (reliable, able to take all types of .22 ammo and heavy). The p22 was very light and had a small grip.

What really amazed me was the owner Dennis came over to me and said sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself. He was on the phone talking with a dealer I think. It just struck me as a good business practice and impressed me a lot. The guys here are super nice and knowledgeable. I had all sort of questions and they answered everyone politely and as best as they could.

Overall this was an A+ experience. As I stated before if you live in the area definitely check out the shop and support these guys!!! This will be my shop of choice from now on.

Last edited:
Just completed another purchase with First Defense Firearms. Great people, great prices, old school costumer service many shops could learn from. Best of all my daughter loves going there to see Shelly. Good job, and thank you. Keep up the good work.

Good shop

Can't say enough good things about First Defense. Good guys, really knowledgeable, very helpful, and fiercely competitive prices on everything in the store. Walked in for some window shopping and walked out w/ my first Glock.

Can't say enough good things about First Defense- made two purchases through them and couldn't be happier. Friendly people and awesome prices.

As usual, a A+ experience to the shop.... Bought bunch of replacement parts for AR build - got all of the parts for a complete lower and extra spring parts....

If anyone is interested Dennis has stripped lowers and complete lower (less butt stock - think they were about $260).

Store was crowded as usual but service was still great.....

I cannot reccommend this shop enough. Dennis and Shelley are both top-notch people, and the store is jam-packed with great inventory. Dennis also has very reasonable prices on AR build parts and tools! Fantastic place and fantastic people!

Gun shop you need to visit

hey guys if you havn't yet visit First defense Firarms" in uxbridge. this place is amazing great place for anything guns amo cleaning suplies etc. go check it out!

Another great transaction with Dennis and Shelley at First Defense. I wanted to build an LTR, and other than a post here looking for used, I didn't even consider buying the 10/22 from anybody else.

So far I've bought an AR-15, Ruger 10/22, and Sig Mosquito from them. I make it a point to send any and everybody their way whenever I talk firearms.

Saw a few NES guys there too, I think Shanef was one of them.

Back
Top Bottom