• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First CMP order! It's here!

Just finger, stock installed. Needs a HEAVY nudge to move bolt forward. With all wood removed, no issues.

I'm going to do a little "woodworking" with this CMP stock...

Thanks, Mac
~Matt

i needed to do lot of "little" woodworking on my cmp stocks. I am grateful that they left some meat to play with. you can get a nice snug fit when they leave them "heavy"

Scatter, yes that one was for you.
Greek Black is, I believe, a painted on finish usually over the original parkerizing.
Some remove it, some don't. I got one recently and think I may keep it as is.
Whoever painted it did a great job...

As to determining if you have "greek black", you could remove the buttstock and see if any of the "paint" has worn off from wear. if you see a greenish metal under the wear marks, it is most likely a painted finish. If you still can't tell take a little white vinegar and a q-tip and try a test patch on say a receiver leg or other location that won't be seen when assembled. Some of these painted finishes react to petro-based cleaning fluids, so you could try a little of what you intend to clean your rifle with on a q-tip and try in a similar method to vinegar. That way you won't accidently ruin the finish if you want to keep it.

A great looking rifle for sure. A little tung oil, a little time and the wood-n-steel will pop.
~Matt

Well I already had the stock off so I snapped a picture of the magazine area. It looks like normal wear on the original finish to me, but then again I've never seen Greek Black as far as I know.

Got introduced to "Garand thumb" last night while learning about the difference in a fully retracted op rod and a partially retracted one. That thing bled like crazy.

photo_zps771aad60.jpg

True. The CMP stocks are growing on me though. I like the idea of being able to throw on a CMP stock and go to the range while leaving my period/maker correct stock at home. Any "dings" are mine to remember...

~Matt
yes i agree, plus as long as the stock is snug you should be able to decrease your group sizes. Both my new wood stocked garands group much better than the gi wood.

Mine was delivered Mon morning while I was at work. My daughter was home and expecting it so she signed for it. LOOONG day at work knowing it was there waiting for me. 43 SA receiver with a 55 SA barrel. Readings are 1+ and 1+. Of course my little armorer had to be right there checking everything

It has the light green hue to it.

Inside the receiver has the hue.

The shape that it's in makes it look like it's fresh off the line and ready to go overseas with a GI.
Someone seems content with it's condition.

The stock does seem a little flat and I was wondering if I should hit it with a rag and some boiled linseed oil or some or lemon oil just to get it to come to life a little bit.

Greg

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 66
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 62
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
^^ beuatiful. been wanting to get in on the cmp action for a while now. will take the plunge once some springfields become available again. congrats

Mine was delivered Mon morning while I was at work. My daughter was home and expecting it so she signed for it. LOOONG day at work knowing it was there waiting for me. 43 SA receiver with a 55 SA barrel. Readings are 1+ and 1+. Of course my little armorer had to be right there checking everything

It has the light green hue to it.

Inside the receiver has the hue.

The shape that it's in makes it look like it's fresh off the line and ready to go overseas with a GI.
Someone seems content with it's condition.

The stock does seem a little flat and I was wondering if I should hit it with a rag and some boiled linseed oil or some or lemon oil just to get it to come to life a little bit.

Greg

you can do many things with that cmp stock. http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/askarmorerindex.htm
this article has from clean up to refinish to touch up. cant go wrong with a good rub of BLO or 100% pure tung oil.

Teak oil is very nice too
Just be sure what ever you use you know exactly what you are using. So many
teak, tung, walnut, peanut, linseed labeled "oils" contain nothing more than poly,varnish of some sort. You can also be certain if its labeled teak,tung oil. "finish " its almost certain to contain very little "oil"
Depending on end use and over all look will depend on what you use.
For usgi stocks I give a quick clean with dish soapy warm water rinse and dry. Then I just apply 100% tung oil. 100% tung oil can be applied every year or so also.
BLO.... I just don't get the same finish as tung. It always seems a bit "wet" it also gets a smell I cant stand with age.?
Minwax tung oil finish is also good. Applied correctly it is not glossy but seals better and beads of water much better. I have this on my m1 I shoot the most.
Truoil is also nice. If applied correctly in thin coats it can really look nice. It seems to bring out the grain even in the worst of wood....although its a bit "glossy" for some.
After that you have poly and varnish.... what I don't like about these is they sit on top of the wood. Seem to show updings and scratches more and are harder to touch up or undo.

Picked up a can of Klean Strip Boiled Linseed Oil from Home Depot along with 0000 steel wool. When I Strip it down for Its initial cleaning and lube, I'll start hitting the wood with the steel wool. I was reading about these stocks on the armorer's corner on the CMP site and how a lot of guys rework the wood in areas to give it the lines and feel of a GI stock. If I were a little more confident in woodworking abilities, this is something I would like to try. About the only reshaping I'm going to do is after putting some rounds through it, I'll look for contact points from the rod and sand them out. I waited four months to get this after ordering and I'm going to enjoy it. One more pic.

019.jpg

Greg

The CMP stock is a good stock. They just don't finish them well. The seem to have a coat of stain on some and then a coat of BLO.
This can be debated for the 140$ the stocks sells for I guess they are ok.
As for the cmp finish. Its nothing more than a spray on light stain to even out the color of the stock and hand guards. My cmp wood stocks had their share of issues from excessive contact to twisted barrel channel along with very tight hand guards.

This can be debated for the 140$ the stocks sells for I guess they are ok.
As for the cmp finish. Its nothing more than a spray on light stain to even out the color of the stock and hand guards. My cmp wood stocks had their share of issues from excessive contact to twisted barrel channel along with very tight hand guards.

Is there a better option for close to the same price?

Back
Top Bottom