• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First CMP order! It's here!

Is there a better option for close to the same price?
Sadly not really. There is an Italian company that makes stocks also. Over on cmp forums they get a good review.

Here's the one garand I decided to post on my issues and solutions.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...rade-HRA-range-report-stock-fit-mods-and-tune

Here's another cmp stock. Stripped off the light stain fixed a few fitment issues and tung oil..... I never did apply any wax though. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/131393-midnight-madness-1903a3-project

Last edited:
Yes. Find a USGI stock. The biggest problem is you won't know how the lockup is until you already bought it. You can always shim it, but I prefer a tighter lockup without shims.
This.....also just a note shims are not allowed in cmp as issued garand match. If you decide to shoot jcg match.

I put a Dupage Trading stock set on mine after I got it from CMP. My USGI stock was pretty worn and didn't lock up very tightly. It also had new, mis-matched hand guards.

It did take some fitting to get the Dupage stock to clear the op rod and also to lock up. Easily accomplished with a little sanding.

I hit it with a light coat of BLO last night and the stock looks very nice. Has really nice grain.

I put a Dupage Trading stock set on mine after I got it from CMP. My USGI stock was pretty worn and didn't lock up very tightly. It also had new, mis-matched hand guards.

It did take some fitting to get the Dupage stock to clear the op rod and also to lock up. Easily accomplished with a little sanding.

I hit it with a light coat of BLO last night and the stock looks very nice. Has really nice grain.

Dupage is boyds as are cmp's

Right, although I read that the Dupage/CMP stocks are shaped a little differently than the Boyd's branded ones, but that they're made by Boyd's. I've never compared them side by side personally, though.

Right, although I read that the Dupage/CMP stocks are shaped a little differently than the Boyd's branded ones, but that they're made by Boyd's. I've never compared them side by side personally, though.
they seemed to profile the grip area slightly and a little slimmer I cant comment on a garand stock direct from boyds. The cmp stock sets are suposed to be the same as dupage.

This.....also just a note shims are not allowed in cmp as issued garand match. If you decide to shoot jcg match.

It seems odd that a whole new stock is allowed but shims aren't. I saw the $100 stock sets on dupage, as well as 2 usgi stocks for 40. Is there something wrong with boyds stocks?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

It seems odd that a whole new stock is allowed but shims aren't. I saw the $100 stock sets on dupage, as well as 2 usgi stocks for 40. Is there something wrong with boyds stocks?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
For the money boyds are ok....you will need to adjust fit. Be prepared to sand. It seems at least boyds gives you more to work with now than in the past.
The only problem with usgi stocks is you do not know how well it will lock up. Most usgi used stocks will be a loose fit vs boyds. That doesn't always mean bad.?
INHM Those 40$ stocks are probably a good project stock for a looker not a shooter.
The replacement stocks represent what was issued.
Shims or bedding where not "as issued". What I find odd is that even a repair done per US weapons and maintenance and repair manual is/ was not allowed last I knew.

Last edited:
they seemed to profile the grip area slightly and a little slimmer I cant comment on a garand stock direct from boyds. The cmp stock sets are suposed to be the same as dupage.

I have read the Boyd's stocks are chunky. My Dupage stock seems close to the USGI stock. I am pleased with it. It's nice looking walnut with nice grain.

I have read the Boyd's stocks are chunky. My Dupage stock seems close to the USGI stock. I am pleased with it. It's nice looking walnut with nice grain.
boyds are know to leave their stocks on the thick side. Its more of a problem when the stock does not have the material to remove and is to loose from the get go.

Do not be confused. I know first hand that boyd makes the stocks for dupage. Dupage stocks are made to their specs. Dupage supplies to the cmo with the added CMP cartouche. The dupage stocks have the best fit when compared to the Boyd's. They all suffer from tensions that tend to be too high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do not be confused. I know first hand that boyd makes the stocks for dupage. Dupage stocks are made to their specs. Dupage supplies to the cmo with the added CMP cartouche. The dupage stocks have the best fit when compared to the Boyd's. They all suffer from tensions that tend to be too high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I don't understand is why the stocks are not made to the specs or drawings from the originals at least the inletting... some like the thinner stocks some like the thicker post war stocks....good thing about the new wood is you can file/sand it to your likes with out worry of destroying any value.

Did a detail strip and greased where needed. Also used 0000 steel wool on the stock and handguard and wiped it down once with the boiled linseed. Now the stock doesn't have the dry, parched look to it. It's not a huge difference but it's enough to give it a finished look without being too much of a shine. The other thing I noticed is, after lubing, it has a more solid sound to it when you cycle the bolt. I'm looking forward to when I have a chance to get out and try it.

Greg

Attachments

• M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 50
Did a detail strip and greased where needed. Also used 0000 steel wool on the stock and handguard and wiped it down once with the boiled linseed. Now the stock doesn't have the dry, parched look to it. It's not a huge difference but it's enough to give it a finished look without being too much of a shine. The other thing I noticed is, after lubing, it has a more solid sound to it when you cycle the bolt. I'm looking forward to when I have a chance to get out and try it.

Greg

Good thing about BLO or tung oil is you can reapply. I clean/ inspect all my guns yearly. I give my garands a fresh coat if I feel it needs it.
Nice looking stock. Has some grain to it. My cmp stocks are of little grain. Makes for a solid stock but lacks the looks.

Prices went up! Bound to happen. Too bad I didnt have any irons in the fire.

What do you guys recommend for long term storage on a rifle? I saw these specialty bags, but they're $20 each.. I was going to just stick my Garand in a gunsock and then wrap it in plastic wrap or some plastic sheeting, tape it up and stick it in a hard case (not airtight). Running out of room in the cabinet and I'd like to put the Garands that aren't going to be shot away.

Glad my tractor gun is already accounted for! Should be on it's way soon!

Prices went up! Bound to happen. Too bad I didnt have any irons in the fire.

What do you guys recommend for long term storage on a rifle? I saw these specialty bags, but they're $20 each.. I was going to just stick my Garand in a gunsock and then wrap it in plastic wrap or some plastic sheeting, tape it up and stick it in a hard case (not airtight). Running out of room in the cabinet and I'd like to put the Garands that aren't going to be shot away.

VCI paper? Never heard of it. I'll have to look it up. The two rifles I'm looking to tuck away haven't even been decosmolined. Too bad they weren't shipped in plastic bags. I've got everything else.
You can get the "bags" that are VCI Vapor Corrossion Inhibitor bags and paper.
you can also buy small emitter to stick inside your gun cases/safe check out The Rust Store.com

CMP truly a game for all

Just a little note.....the winner of the CMP JCG as issued M1 match ay Camp Perry Ohio won with a new record 293-9Xs.....nice. High senior 70yrs+ 278-4X and the jr winner shot 285-8X..... truly a game for all

Does anyone know of a shop or chain of stores (preferably near boston) that sells pure tung oil? Seems like home depot/lowes only carry the tung oil finishes.

Does anyone know of a shop or chain of stores (preferably near boston) that sells pure tung oil? Seems like home depot/lowes only carry the tung oil finishes.

try the chain paint stores like sherman williams, the paint store ectect. The brand that seems to be around here is Hope's brand 100 pure tung oil. I need to get myself some more also. I got to the paint store on rt 53/139 hanover they had the quart quart size bottles 2 years ago...

I bought a gallon jug at WoodCrafters in Woburn 6 years ago. Stuff lasts forever.
They have pints and quarts also.

http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=304

153796.jpg

The only problem is you have to remove air from the bottle as you use it by either putting it in a smaller container or adding marbles to the jug. Otherwise it will oxidize in the bottle.

Also needs to be kept warm. My basement got into the high 40's last winter and I had white particles develop in the oil.

The only problem is you have to remove air from the bottle as you use it by either putting it in a smaller container or adding marbles to the jug. Otherwise it will oxidize in the bottle.

Also needs to be kept warm. My basement got into the high 40's last winter and I had white particles develop in the oil.

Thanks for the tip. I picked up a quart at the woodcrafters in walpole, I'll have to get some marbles too.

Woodcraft in Woburn. Walk into the store and go to the front left corner where the real powered milk paint is.

Same exit as Four Seasons when coming from I93. I usually make a trip to both when I'm up that way.

Back
Top Bottom