• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First CMP order! It's here!

holygrail.jpeg

Meant to post this earlier.

Sent the packet in sometime around the 7th or March and got the email telling me they received the order on the 21st and that it is on it's way to sales.

Here is to hoping and praying I made it in for my first Garand, an HRA Service grade and 400 rounds of loose HXP.

Hopefully I get a good stock. How orange are the HRA stocks?

Sent the packet in sometime around the 7th or March and got the email telling me they received the order on the 21st and that it is on it's way to sales.

Here is to hoping and praying I made it in for my first Garand, an HRA Service grade and 400 rounds of loose HXP.

im under the opinion that many of the service grade rifles are now coming with new cmp wood

from a post on cmp forums Orest Micheals Chief Operating Officer About 1 in 4 wood stocks are good enough for service grades rest go to auction or for the lesser grades. Also discussed is the fact they have recieved many thousands of woodless garands. Which is sort of why the service grade specials came about. Then cmp specials came about as of the stock pile of recievers and parts ? My advice if you want one stop thinking and order one or two.
It will be aprox 5 to 7 months before your credit card is hit.

Most new CMP stocks are Boyd's walnut and aren't orangey birch. Some are finished nicely, some have a plasticy finish, and some have some random blotches of stain. Most require minor fitting, but there are many resources available that show how to tune a new stock. As long as you can use a dremel or sand paper you'll be fine.

I don't think you have to worry about receiving your M1 Garand, you just need to be prepared to wait. A service grade HRA should be a beautiful rifle.

I think cmp stopped with the orange birch stocks due to the fact they where FUGLY. The new stocks are stained in attempt to make the stock and hand guards match. I stripped and sanded off the stain on a 1903a3 C stock from the cmp and it was a pita to get the wood to match....I would emagine the wood for the garands could be troublesome to......its all fun

Most new CMP stocks are Boyd's walnut and aren't orangey birch. Some are finished nicely, some have a plasticy finish, and some have some random blotches of stain. Most require minor fitting, but there are many resources available that show how to tune a new stock. As long as you can use a dremel or sand paper you'll be fine.

I don't think you have to worry about receiving your M1 Garand, you just need to be prepared to wait. A service grade HRA should be a beautiful rifle.

Ok thanks for the info. Do the M1 Garands come packed with cosmoline?

Most new CMP stocks are Boyd's walnut and aren't orangey birch.................

I got one of the "orange" stocks and I cleaned it up and added a bunch of coats of BLO to it. It doesn't look too bad after the BLO soaked in and darkened it.

I got one of the "orange" stocks and I cleaned it up and added a bunch of coats of BLO to it. It doesn't look too bad after the BLO soaked in and darkened it.
Is it a new production CMP birch stock or is it an old USGI birch stock? I have a very nice RRAD birch stock from a 60s rebuild. Not all birch is the crappy pumpkin kind.

Nope. There might be some in the nooks and crannies of the receiver, the bolt, or the trigger group but they're mostly cosmoline free. Most guys perform a detail strip of the rifle to see what parts she has, clean the parts, and check on the overall condition of the rifle. You will need to grease the action. Here is a good reference for greasing her up. You can see most areas that need grease because of the worn parkerizing, ie the bolt locking lugs, op rod track, etc.

Is it a new production CMP birch stock or is it an old USGI birch stock? I have a very nice RRAD birch stock from a 60s rebuild. Not all birch is the crappy pumpkin kind.

It's one of the same new ones everybody hates. I wasn't thrilled when I got mine either. I got one of the orange ones and one of the new walnut ones.

The CMP cleans the cosmoline off before they check them so they are relatively clean.

not my first-SH HRA
USPS delivery confirmation was 3/14
CMP order confirmation 2/10 ! now the wait

Not hard at all, and totally worth it.
3 online forms to fill out and print. A couple of copies oof your birth certificate, LTC and such. Have it notorized and in the mail. Took me twenty minutes at the ccomputer and scanner. Notary at lunch and in the mail on my way home. Best deal going!

BTW got my DBU on 4/2, waiting patiently for my early Christmas :)

Last edited:
It's one of the same new ones everybody hates. I wasn't thrilled when I got mine either. I got one of the orange ones and one of the new walnut ones.

The CMP cleans the cosmoline off before they check them so they are relatively clean.

Clean as a whistle arrived 3 weeks ago. Stock was new only had stain no finish on it. (as pictured) Looks and feels alot better now. Many coats of boiled linseed oil and some canuba wax and now looks awessome. Danish barrell ME 1, TE 2 receiver February 1945 and trigger group Fall of 1945

followerandthroat.jpg fieldstrip.jpg serialnumberblur.jpg

Mike, are there any cartouches on that stock? Sure looks like a birch USGI replacement stock to me.

No cartouches. Definitely replacement stock. The hand guards are from 2 different rifles as well. I actually may replace the rear hand guard as it appears very brittle.

How the eff did I miss that post. I think you have a matching birch Overton USGI stock set. I have one that is similar to yours, and it sure is nicer than the new CMP stock set.

Back
Top Bottom