• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First built AR-15 won’t chamber next round

Neither have I 🤣

But a whole upper for the cost of a good quality BCG is suspect
well, it depends. a cheap deal is not necessarily bad, cheap uppers components are also not going to be arbitrarily bad.
the cheapness there usually a byproduct of no QA at all - therefore the reason to pay some extra attention to those things you get 'cheap'.
but, if the barrel and upper were made within specs - they should be usable. probably not going to be doing a 1/2 moa groups, but, it should at least cycle properly.

Neither have I 🤣

But a whole upper for the cost of a good quality BCG is suspect
I'm guilty of having a $240 Bear Creek complete upper ie the x39 upper and a 5.56 upper. Accurate and reliable. But I'm not using this for a STHF/HD - well aware it's a bottom of the barrel upper. Just a range toy.

Though you had one hell of a time getting that barrel off so I could replace it with a lighter profile x39 barrel [laugh] . Soaked in red loctite if I recall

I'm guilty of having a $240 Bear Creek complete upper ie the x39 upper and a 5.56 upper. Accurate and reliable. But I'm not using this for a STHF/HD - well aware it's a bottom of the barrel upper. Just a range toy.

Though you had one hell of a time getting that barrel off so I could replace it with a lighter profile x39 barrel [laugh] . Soaked in red loctite if I recall
Just a little reality check here:
About 4,000,000 STEN guns were produced and used during WWII. The quality of those STEN guns was nowhere near the quality of the cheapest modern AR15 upper, yet they were used in wartime by millions of people with great success.

A 'range toy" will kill someone just as dead as any Gucci gun. And having the ability to converge 10-20 "range toys" on a target is far more effective than one Gucci gun. Quantity has a quality all its own.

bear creek cuts costs on QA as all of them, needs to be dis/re-assembled and nut lubed, or it will not be fun to unscrew it later. mine did not have loctite on it.
their barrels are mostly ok-ish, as you found out, probably.
i think i also have a .22lr upper from them, with a side handle.

I keep telling myself that it's stupid and has no reasonable use but I keep getting drawn back to one of these

Why? not certain if it was the third, fifth or nth time I was dropped on my head but I still want one 'cause reasons.

I keep telling myself that it's stupid and has no reasonable use but I keep getting drawn back to one of these

Why? not certain if it was the third, fifth or nth time I was dropped on my head but I still want one 'cause reasons.
The .410 ammo has become quite expensive. I thought about getting one a long time ago but never followed through. Now I've got an 8 barrel set of Chiappa 12.ga barrel adapters with one being in .410 so that filled the desire.

About 4,000,000 STEN guns were produced and used during WWII. The quality of those STEN guns was nowhere near the quality of the cheapest modern AR15 upper, yet they were used in wartime by millions of people with great success.

A 'range toy" will kill someone just as dead as any Gucci gun. And having the ability to converge 10-20 "range toys" on a target is far more effective than one Gucci gun. Quantity has a quality all its own.
truth

The Sten was a much simpler open bolt design. False equivalency here.

a 5.56 has more than double the chamber pressure than a sten shooting 9 back in the 1940's , this pressure is happening right next to your face

we are not at war or facing a desperate logistical situation of not having arms or the cash to produce them like England in the 1940's, I've seen more than my share of blown up rifles and people with bandaged hands and patched eyes walk in to bother with cheap parts

a 5.56 has more than double the chamber pressure than a sten shooting 9 back in the 1940's , this pressure is happening right next to your face

we are not at war or facing a desperate logistical situation of not having arms or the cash to produce them like England in the 1940's, I've seen more than my share of blown up rifles and people with bandaged hands and patched eyes walk in to bother with cheap parts

Also seen more than my share of people with broken bolts, loose gas keys, broken buffer retaining pins, broken charging handles, and other issues on low round count cheap rifles/uppers.

You’ll never convince the “just as good” crowd. QA/QC issues, improperly torqued hardware, loose or out of spec tolerances/measurements, poor staking, improper heat treatments, lesser metals… none of it matters.

I will say, cheapo uppers have gotten a lot better. And many of their potential issues can be addressed by checking over the uppers before using them. But it doesn’t address everything.

Update: I heard back from BKF customer support. They said to use a lighter spring and buffer to see if that helps with any gassing issues…

Update: I heard back from BKF customer support. They said to use a lighter spring and buffer to see if that helps with any gassing issues…
It probably will. But that doesn't mean you're not compensating for too little gas. Whatever makes it work. Good luck man. Let us know

It probably will. But that doesn't mean you're not compensating for too little gas. Whatever makes it work. Good luck man. Let us know
This is spot on ☝️ You’re not solving anything by replacing standard operating parts with less than standard parts , any halfway decent AR should run reliably with a standard , H1 , H2 , or H3 buffer and standard action spring

BKF basically just told you
Don’t send it back to us , you’re on your own

This is spot on ☝️ You’re not solving anything by replacing standard operating parts with less than standard parts , any halfway decent AR should run reliably with a standard , H1 , H2 , or H3 buffer and standard action spring

BKF basically just told you
Don’t send it back to us , you’re on your own

Horse shit. You're talking shit about a company that you yourself admitted that you know absolutely nothing about--and as a business owner yourself, you should be more careful than that.

A quick scoll through their web page shows that BKings sells uppers both with and without bolt carrier groups.

I directly asked OP about the provenance of his bolt carier group in my first post, and he did not answer the question. And it absolutely matters, right? I'm guessing it certainly would matter if it was YOUR shops upper build and YOUR shops reputation getting shit on, right?

If OP tossed a shit-tier bolt carrier group with shit-tier quality control into his BKings 14.5" midlength gas system upper then that's on him--and not BKings, right?

I'd say if the rifle runs with a known-good bolt carrier and the gas impulse provided by 5.56 NATO ammo then they've done their duty to their customer. And if it doesn't, well, they haven't--and they need to make it right, whatever that takes.

….

If OP tossed a shit-tier bolt carrier group with shit-tier quality control into his BKings 14.5" midlength gas system upper then that's on him--and not BKings, right?

….

Not necessarily. The BCG could be fine. It could be a misaligned gas block, or a gas port that’s too small.

The OP hasn’t provided us with enough info. That said, he also probably didn’t provide BurgerKing with much info either.

I’d be interested in everything they said back. If it really was just basically “try a lighter spring”, then that’s a shitty response. Especially if he did get the complete upper with the BurgerKing BCG. If they elaborated with “it’s hard for us to say since you have other companies parts here and here and here; the problem could be with any of those parts.”, and then said try a different spring, that would be better.

Not necessarily. The BCG could be fine. It could be a misaligned gas block, or a gas port that’s too small.

The OP hasn’t provided us with enough info. That said, he also probably didn’t provide BurgerKing with much info either.

I’d be interested in everything they said back. If it really was just basically “try a lighter spring”, then that’s a shitty response. Especially if he did get the complete upper with the BurgerKing BCG. If they elaborated with “it’s hard for us to say since you have other companies parts here and here and here; the problem could be with any of those parts.”, and then said try a different spring, that would be better.

OP hasn't tried the ammo the rifle is chambered for, either--namely 5.56 NATO--which actually DOES make a difference in a 14.5" midlength gas system carbine, as Bravo Company found out.

As for your very clever aspersion of his company--here is a link to some infromation about the individual who founded it:

Blake King...

Full disclaimer--I've bought quite a few parts from Mr. King. His prices are phenomenal--and his shipping times are incredibly fast as well. Orders over $250 ship free. He has never once fu*ked up an order of mine, and if you have a question or want to talk to him in person, just pick up the phone and dial the number.

Horse shit. You're talking shit about a company that you yourself admitted that you know absolutely nothing about--and as a business owner yourself, you should be more careful than that.

A quick scoll through their web page shows that BKings sells uppers both with and without bolt carrier groups.

I directly asked OP about the provenance of his bolt carier group in my first post, and he did not answer the question. And it absolutely matters, right? I'm guessing it certainly would matter if it was YOUR shops upper build and YOUR shops reputation getting shit on, right?

I'd say if the rifle runs with a known-good bolt carrier and the gas impulse provided by 5.56 NATO ammo then they've done their duty to their customer. And if it doesn't, well, they haven't--and they need to make it right, whatever that takes.
The upper I bought came with a BCG. The whole thing is from BKF

OP hasn't tried the ammo the rifle is chambered for, either--namely 5.56 NATO--which actually DOES make a difference in a 14.5" midlength gas system carbine, as Bravo Company found out.

As for your very clever aspersion of his company--here is a link to some infromation about the individual who founded it:

Blake King...

Full disclaimer--I've bought quite a few parts from Mr. King. His prices are phenomenal--and his shipping times are incredibly fast as well. Orders over $250 ship free. He has never once fu*ked up an order of mine, and if you have a question or want to talk to him in person, just pick up the phone and dial the number.

The “aspersions” of the company you mention were a joke, because you kept calling it BKings instead of BKF. You sound pretty biased.

And no, a barrel chambered for 5.56 shouldn’t ONLY cycle 5.56 and not .223, unless it is specifically stated as only cycling 5.56. Yes, there are uppers/barrels designed specifically for suppressed use or specifically designed for 5.56 pressures in order to optimize the recoil impulse. But they should state that in the advertising. Midlength or being labeled as “5.56” makes no inherent difference there, unless you’re talking about a midlength 12.5”. The 5.56 chamber is merely a little looser to accommodate more pressure. It has nothing to do with whether the gun will cycle on .223 ammo. That is in the gas port size, which can vary wildly whether the barrel is marked 5.56 or .223.

As for BCM, yeah they were trying to reduce the recoil impulse as much as possible and ended up hurting reliability. That’s not a good thing. They also have had premature barrel damage and told customers that they were firing too fast (they weren’t). But you know what? BCMs generally cycle 223 just fine when using a carbine weight buffer and carbine spring, like the OP tried to do.

Any AR that cannot cycle 223 on a normal temperate day very likely may have trouble cycling 5.56 on a cold winter day. Not a good thing.

PS, BKF being owned by a veteran means extremely little.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom