• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First built AR-15 won’t chamber next round

No other upper or lower to try out. Don’t think it’s a mag issue, but I only tried out old prebans so I can’t rule that out entirely.

I reached out to BKF customer support about the gassing concerns and they said they’d get back to me after communicating with their assembly manager to get their opinion on the issue. In the meantime I’ve gone ahead and ordered a bunch of different weighted buffers and springs and will play around with them to see if I can mitigate the issue while I wait. I plan on doing some future builds for myself anyway after I get this squared away.

I’m hesitant to mess with anything regarding gas myself so I’d rather wait for BKF to respond and send it back to them if it ultimately needs to be done.
Go.to.your range and start talking to people.
No joke. Every issue I've ever had with my toys, I asked someone around me for help and learned alot , usually rhey knew 100x more than me especially those older.guus with tools. Everyone's had me up and running.
I've had your problem before and it was 1 bad mag. 2. Not enough powder, weak round. 3. Not enough lube.

Gotta rule stuff out to solve your problem. It could be some of the internals.?

No other upper or lower to try out. Don’t think it’s a mag issue, but I only tried out old prebans so I can’t rule that out entirely.

I reached out to BKF customer support about the gassing concerns and they said they’d get back to me after communicating with their assembly manager to get their opinion on the issue. In the meantime I’ve gone ahead and ordered a bunch of different weighted buffers and springs and will play around with them to see if I can mitigate the issue while I wait. I plan on doing some future builds for myself anyway after I get this squared away.

I’m hesitant to mess with anything regarding gas myself so I’d rather wait for BKF to respond and send it back to them if it ultimately needs to be done.
If you're near I've got uppers to try. If it helps. Or can help you check it out.

OK--you don't seem to understand. You have a problem with too LITTLE gas energizing the bolt, and not QUITE driving it back far enough to strip and feed a round from your magazine.

A heavier buffer or a stiffer spring will allow even LESS bolt velocity.

Low bolt velocity can be caused by a gas port which is spec'd too SMALL by the manufacturer (which is why people are telling you to tear the rifle down and enlarge the hole in the barrel), OR you are leaking gas somewhere in the system (a mis-aligned gas block or a loose/leaky carrier key are two prime suspects), OR there is some unusual obstruction or resistance in the bolt's travel which is overcoming a gas impulse which otherwise OUGHT to be sufficient to drive your action.

What I suggest you do TOMORROW which does not involve drill presses or tearing down your rifle with tools you don't own or shipping the upper back to the manufacturer and waiting ten days for their verdict--what you can do TOMORROW is feed the rifle some proper full-boat 5.56 instead of the .223 you are currently feeding it. 5.56 NATO provides a recoil impulse with 3K more PSI energy. It might be just enough extra oomph to get your action cycling, and it is an easy experiment. Once upon a time BCM had chosen a gas port for their mid-length 14.5" Jack Carbine which ONLY ran with hot 5.56. Maybe that's what's going on here. Maybe. I'd say it is worth another range trip.

If you're anywhere near Harvard I could make a range session happen, depending.

I also happen to have a known-good lower, a known-good bolt, a known-good magazine, and a natural inclination to help people un-f*** their rifles.

Last edited:
…. In the meantime I’ve gone ahead and ordered a bunch of different weighted buffers and springs and will play around with them to see if I can mitigate the issue while I wait. I plan on doing some future builds for myself anyway after I get this squared away.

🤦‍♂️

f1b1f609a15bb277739e14b2c8fb0a80.gif

Verifying the gas block is aligned and that the gas key is solid and staked is not “messing with” the gas system. They’re simple checks.

Make sure the gas tube is rotated the correct way. It might have shifted . How do I know it happened to me. Just reinstall and try again.

Are you near Peabody, MA? Bring it to Northeast Arms. They got all the knowledge and tools for AR work

Lol. I have a few builds that started with a found pivot pin spring!!
Don't go there - I just lost a firing pin safety spring for a G17 build.
I'm afraid to order a new spring ($8 to ship a $4 spring) because I will likely find the spring and build a gun around it (but I do have another $67 complete frame so it's not JUST a spring)

OK--you don't seem to understand. You have a problem with too LITTLE gas energizing the bolt, and not QUITE driving it back far enough to strip and feed a round from your magazine.

A heavier buffer or a stiffer spring will allow even LESS bolt velocity.

Low bolt velocity can be caused by a gas port which is spec'd too SMALL by the manufacturer (which is why people are telling you to tear the rifle down and enlarge the hole in the barrel), OR you are leaking gas somewhere in the system (a mis-aligned gas block or a loose/leaky carrier key are two prime suspects), OR there is some unusual obstruction or resistance in the bolt's travel which is overcoming a gas impulse which otherwise OUGHT to be sufficient to drive your action.

What I suggest you do TOMORROW which does not involve drill presses or tearing down your rifle with tools you don't own or shipping the upper back to the manufacturer and waiting ten days for their verdict--what you can do TOMORROW is feed the rifle some proper full-boat 5.56 instead of the .223 you are currently feeding it. 5.56 NATO provides a recoil impulse with 3K more PSI energy. It might be just enough extra oomph to get your action cycling, and it is an easy experiment. Once upon a time BCM had chosen a gas port for their mid-length 14.5" Jack Carbine which ONLY ran with hot 5.56. Maybe that's what's going on here. Maybe. I'd say it is worth another range trip.

If you're anywhere near Harvard I could make a range session happen, depending.

I also happen to have a known-good lower, a known-good bolt, a known-good magazine, and a natural inclination to help people un-f*** their rifles.
Thanks for the knowledge. I did get an inclination that the system was under gassed as opposed to over, which is why I also got a reduced power buffer spring as well. However, I still wanted to get an assortment of buffers and springs anyway for future builds. I’ll have to try out 5.56 instead of .223

I honestly don’t have an opportunity in my schedule to go to the range again for another couple of weeks anyway, so I’m good for now with waiting for the next couple of days until I get a response from BKF. Depending on what they suggest, I may just take you or someone else in this thread up on their offer to help me swap uppers/lowers and get this problem solved on my end rather than ship it back to them.

Thanks for the knowledge. I did get an inclination that the system was under gassed as opposed to over, which is why I also got a reduced power buffer spring as well. However, I still wanted to get an assortment of buffers and springs anyway for future builds. I’ll have to try out 5.56 instead of .223

I honestly don’t have an opportunity in my schedule to go to the range again for another couple of weeks anyway, so I’m good for now with waiting for the next couple of days until I get a response from BKF. Depending on what they suggest, I may just take you or someone else in this thread up on their offer to help me swap uppers/lowers and get this problem solved on my end rather than ship it back to them.
Gonna have to call in sick to work. He said TOMORROW!

You do you but that’s almost certainly unnecessary. It’s under gassed and buffers and springs don’t change that.

Gonna have to call in sick to work. He said TOMORROW!

NES: Go pay a smith $150 to disassemble your $200 dollar upper and drill a bigger gas hole in your $79 barrel and then reassemble it and wait three weeks for the shop to get the rifle back to you.

ME: Try 5.56 ammo next range trip (which can happen as early as tormorrow, right?).

Think about it.

NES: Go pay a smith $150 to disassemble your $200 dollar upper and drill a bigger gas hole in your $79 barrel and then reassemble it and wait three weeks for the shop to get the rifle back to you.

ME: Try 5.56 ammo next range trip (which can happen as early as tormorrow, right?).

Think about it.
it`s not sporty to seek an easy way out!

My last three builds, using LaRue hand guards and barrel nuts have been around that high.

Yeah, but those need to be timed. If you don’t go up that high, then the previous hole would be too loose. It still is within spec. It just seems like an odd choice as the default torque.

I actually did have one Larue handguard/barrel combo that just wouldn’t torque down properly. It was either too loose or too tight. I ended up having to put in a barrel nut shim to time it.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem. The screw in the end of the buffer tube comes in more than one length. Mine was too long and the buffer hit it and couldn't travel far enough to the rear.

Think about it.
More like $50 and back the same day possibly next day if it’s dropped off later in the day , let’s not exaggerate , it’s a 10 minute job the go through and check the whole rifle and open up the port of it’s necessary

More like $50 and back the same day possibly next day if it’s dropped off later in the day , let’s not exaggerate , it’s a 10 minute job the go through and check the whole rifle and open up the port of it’s necessary
Which is why everyone here is pushing to do a self diagnosis before sending it in - very likely a simple issue that could be fixed by the OP with a little help and that way he gains some good knowledge

I had a similar problem. The screw in the end of the buffer tube comes in more than one length. Mine was too long and the buffer hit it and couldn't travel far enough to the rear.
Could only happen using an A2 stock screw with an A1 stock. One inch difference in length in the stocks, the A1 being shorter, therefore the A2 screw protruding into the buffer tube.

Last edited:
…. I did get an inclination that the system was under gassed as opposed to over, which is why I also got a reduced power buffer spring as well. However, I still wanted to get an assortment of buffers and springs anyway for future builds. …

A reduced power action spring is not a good solution for an undergassed rifle. You may get it to work, but it will be an unreliable system, fragile to adverse situations. Temperature, dust/dirt buildup, etc.

It doesn’t hurt much to have spares on hand, but depending on how wild you got on the buffer/spring variations, they may be pointless in future builds too.

For most builds, all you need is a Carbine, H, or H2 buffer. For springs, a carbine spring, or maybe a white/red or blue Sprinco spring. And all that is just to optimize feel/impulse. For an unsuppressed gun, none of it should be needed for reliable feeding.

Hooray for slowly sipping this thread like a fine wine,...!

The people here are probably more knowledgeable than the ones at BKF , you’ll be shipping it back to a bunch of monkeys who just blindly tighten fasteners and push in pins on outsourced parts all day

99% of these places don’t inspect anything except by random pulls of one item occasionally , I’ve witnessed it first hand with many manufacturers , there’s only a very small handful who actually do the right thing and are concerned with quality as much as profit

Back
Top Bottom