• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 magazine won’t insert fully

2-4-5 Trioxin

NES Member
Hey all,

Never had this issue with any 1911 I have but bought this new Magnum Research 1911 in 45 and the mag gets stuck inserting. It can be slapped in hard and the only way to insert it smoothly is to hold in the mag release button while inserting. I also tried a Wilson 47D mag but same issue. Once inserted, it does release fine. The pic is the factory mag.

IMG_1161.jpeg

Hey all,

Never had this issue with any 1911 I have but bought this new Magnum Research 1911 in 45 and the mag gets stuck inserting. It can be slapped in hard and the only way to insert it smoothly is to hold in the mag release button while inserting. I also tried a Wilson 47D mag but same issue. Once inserted, it does release fine. The pic is the factory mag.

View attachment 839019

do not cut coils off the mag catch spring. Try a different catch assembly. But I suspect that due to the cast frame, the mag well might be out of spec. Ive seen this before on other cast 1911s.

Some people solve thier own problems and others need to have the manufacturer make it right. At the end of the day it's a $.08 spring,..

Some people solve thier own problems and others need to have the manufacturer make it right. At the end of the day it's a $.08 spring,..
I'd hate to have my mag drop out at an inconveinitent time due to a light mag release spring.
Get a screwdriver, pull the mag catch out and compare it visually to another one. Maybe a burr on the mag catch that needs to be filed down ??
This. I had your exact problem and a check of the mag release showed a burr, sharp edge, that wasn't as clean as the rest. Instead of the magazine pushing it aside it was catching on it.

Best of luck @2-4-5 Trioxin. Matt

No literally bought it new yesterday. Had multiple 1911s out I was looking at and the one thing I failed to test on this one was a mag load apparently. Got it at the mill.
Which one of the FFL's doesn't even function test their guns before selling it to someone? Just want to know so if I buy from them I know to function test a gun before I walk out.

Hey all,

View attachment 839019
Do you have any telltale marks on the side or top of the magazine where it interacts with the mag release? Close up photos?
There was a new 'shiny' spot on the mag where it met the mag release and then a faint line from there down the side of the mag.
Is this with only a particular magazine?
Do you have a spare to check it with?

Last edited:
Do you have any telltale marks on the side or top of the magazine where it interacts with the mag release? Close up photos?
There was a new 'shiny' spot on the mag where it met the mag release and then a faint line from there down the side of the mag.
Is this with only a particular magazine?
Do you have a spare to check it with?
I can look this morning. I did try both the factory mag and a Wilson 47D (the Wilson was even worse…can’t get that one in at all).

True and if it’s a simple fix I’m happy to try. That’s really why I posted this hoping it is a .08 cent spring. At the same time dropping almost 1k on a gun that doesn’t work out of box (again I blame myself for not testing this while there) sucks.

Wasn't there a guy at NASA said something similar about a cheap rubber O ring?

The thought of having a loaded magazine fall out when needed most would make me call. If they said, "yeah its just the spring", I would take care of it. But I would call to make sure that was all it was.

Customer service replied with:

“The magazines will take a small bump to fully seat. Do you have another 1911 to compare them to?

Something is not right if you are forcefully having to force them in though. There has to be enough force to "override" the magazine catch when inserting.”

“The magazines will take a small bump to fully seat. Do you have another 1911 to compare them to?

Something is not right if you are forcefully having to force them in though. There has to be enough force to "override" the magazine catch when inserting.”
You should have gotten the Stainless Steel one!!!!!!

How did you respond? So far it's not a bad answer. I feel like they must deal with morons alot (not you). It's probably a good way to weed some out.

I told them it’s my first gun from them and wasn’t sure if it was by design but did mention my Wilson mags won’t go in at all and don’t lock in when inserted.

Back
Top Bottom