Fiasco at Bass pro shop tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have another question.. Was there a specific raffle for the shotgun, or did you enter, and were eligible to win gift certificates, or the shotgun?? The answer to this might change my opinion, about the winner, but I still think they should have raffled a kayak..[smile]

one entry for all the raffles. which is why i have not faulted the kid for entering as in the above Hanson example. the fault is bass pros for not disqualifying the kid for the shotgun, or stating either on the invite or earlier that a pass on is allowed.

agree on the kayak or any of 1000 other different items.

It's their promotion, they can do whatever the hell they want.

I can also guarantee that if you find and read the complete rules (a.k.a. the 'fine print') that the last rule is a paraphrase of what I wrote above. I've run raffles, and it's standard universal CYA language.

It's really hard not to think of all this as whining.

I can also guarantee that if you find and read the complete rules (a.k.a. the 'fine print') that the last rule is a paraphrase of what I wrote above. I've run raffles, and it's standard universal CYA language.

Does anyone think it's time to move on boys and girls?

How is it my business, let alone my responsibility to "try to make sure its done legally"?

sorry if i feel it is wrong for someone to be handing over guns to someone who may not be lawful to have them. that is what it looked like, so i spoke up. it should matter to everyone in the state fighting for what we have/can't have/ the more mistakes being made in regards to guns the worse off we'll be.

Umm no i don't. I guess if you were standing next to someone who admits to breaking the law or about to break the law you would look the other way - nice.

No laws were broken. The winner allowed his brother to have his winnings. That is not illegal because supposedly the brother has an FID or LTC.

difference is, everything in your case was legal. your name comes up you win - 2x's or 10x's

last night it was about the fid which is a requirement by law and by bp rules

Actually they both were legal. The difference is I got screwed and the 20y/o in question gave his brother a new shotgun. Either way it is none of your business what the winner does with his prize. He won not you. I don't think Bass pro shop would illegally give someone a shotgun, especially in Ma. Either way it is out of your control so don't get yourself worked up over it.

Seriously dude what the f*** are you talking about?

Working backwards: Umm bad analogy, because actaully, not having a license will not prevent "sally" from winning (or buying) a car, she can even drive it all she wants on private land, she just can't drive it on a public road till she's licenses.

my point is they are both laws and if your willing to break, or allow to be broken, one law why not others, whats next. sally would not be allowed to drive the can but i'm sure you wouldn't mind.

Moving on: I don't even know where you are going with this one, are you suggesting that if the young man didn't offer up his licensed brother that you think Bass Pro (a licensed dealer) would have just given him the shotgun anyway? Unless you are mentally challenged you can't really think that was going to happen.... Awww Crap that is what you think isn't...

No i didn't think that it was going to happen, however, i think its every gun owners duty to make sure that its not going to happen. i have seen a lot of things in my life that i would not think someone would do, you know what they did them anyway. after reading on this very board that bp was selling non ma comp guns when they first opened, could i be 100% sure this transfer was not going to happen? no, so i asked.

The problem is NO ONE broke any law. The winner of the raffle did not at the time have the neccarry license, so the had his appearently properly licensed brother collect his winnings for him. The illegal part is what exactly?

ok once again because i know i am not the best writer. it was about the appearance of what could have been an illegal transaction. NOT that it happened as such. i was making sure it was not going down that way.

Finnally just a bit of a rant because of your nonsense....I'm guessing you don't have kids? I do they are both too young for an FID, yet they both have guns. Until my kids are licensed (or we don't live in MA) thier guns will be "techincally" mine and the kids can't use them with out me, but that does negate the fact that they are thier guns. Just as the winners shotgun will be his brothers until he gets a license...

i see nothing wrong with that. your teaching your kids, its all in "house". and i believe its legal. its not out there for the public to wonder if a business is selling a gun to an ineligible person. AGAIN i'm not saying it was illegal, just that it looked that way, so i spoke up. others may have walked away thinking it was and either report it or never going to the store again. i chose to find out.

Hobbit: I can see your arguement in that the person the gun was actually going to in name was probably not a prefered customer. However, what I am seeing here is the brother is taking it in name only and the real user will be the original winner. Being mad at someone because of an un-constitutional law doesn't make sense to me.

correct but i'll take it one step farther, what if the winner can't legally get an fid? btw i'm not mad at the person just the way bp handled it. it looked to others as if the kid was getting the gun illegally.

Mr. Moderator you have too much common sense.

Snitches get stitches.

Hobbit,

If you are bound and determined to be a snitch, then just snitch and get it over with. Most of the rest of us don't need you to be enforcing this states gun laws, nor do we wish to do so ourselves, and yet you state and restate that you feel compelled to do just this. If your panties are so in a bunch about this (dubious in your mind) raffle, then call the AG. I'm sure she has a toll-free rat-line.

I remember a story about a store that sold some Glocks that the state didn't want sold. I remember a story about a gun dealer that didn't like competition from out of state ammunition sellers. Those old stories can be found around here somewhere. They're the stories of a disgruntled snitch.

Be a rat, be a whiner, be a sore loser ... but do it privately. You're in a hole on this topic. I suggest you stop digging.

Some young man has a shotgun because he drew the lucky ticket. That's all there is too it. I hope I never see you in a gun store when my 13 year old son is trying to narrow down his preference on the purchase of his next gun, because I don't think I'll be as receptive to your legal inquiries as the nice folks at Bass Pro were.

Here's the last word:

snowjoker said:
Can you add something to the Bass Pro Fiasco post?

As you know I work there. I am also the one that does the NRA Class there...

I spoke with both the store manager and hunting manager this morning about my concerns of him winning it without a license. And them thinking about giving it to his brother (Who has a license).

They have decided that they will hold the gun for him for as long as it takes for him to get a license. He will probably be signing up for my class at the store and applying for his firearms license.

So after all the bitching he will be becoming another licensed gun owner if he wants the gun...

This should make everyone happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom