Fatal Shooting in Worcester by Westborough LTC holder UPDATE: Guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter! 4-7 Year Sentence with 77 Days Credit.

So what’s the defense here? I thought he had a weapon?

What’s the bar for shooting an unarmed person in MA? Let’s say the guy says “I’m going to kill you” and you can’t escape, can you shoot him even though he doesn’t have a weapon?

So what’s the defense here? I thought he had a weapon?

What’s the bar for shooting an unarmed person in MA? Let’s say the guy says “I’m going to kill you” and you can’t escape, can you shoot him even though he doesn’t have a weapon?
Unless you can articulate a clear disparity of force that would put you in particular danger of death or disabling injury from an unarmed attack then you're going to prison.
Have a spinal or brain injury that would realistically put life in jeopardy from a strike then you can shoot when attack is imminent.

John Smith, 31 the newspaper article said.
Yeah, totally. Initially, the report was that the victim's name was Phillip McHerelegally, but that raised an eyebrow.

The shooter is being held without bail so MA has maximum time to frame things and there's no additional detail being released in a state that hates anyone that dares carry to defend themselves. I bet you a dollar his name isn't John Smith and he had an extensive criminal record.

So, trapped in your car, with a guy breaking your window in, is not a "disparity of force"?
I haven't seen anything that says he was inside or outside of the car.
But even if he was inside the car, he would need to show that he couldn't simply drive away.

Translation: “ dear comrades, we only have circumstantial evidence to try to screw the guy who shot an illegal immigrant (hence john smith lol) that busted his window…pls halp”

I could see them sitting on it, but releasing a false name is a new low if thats whats going on
Only masslive is reporting it as Toby Hassajobenstein. That's probably because their reporter spent too much time on mass and cass or is trying to get a dry rub from an overweight liberal arts student. All others are "police did not release the name".

Are you really surprised they’d lie about the illegal’s name?
It's possible they released the name they have AND it's a lie, just not theirs.
Wild speculation but maybe he had an ID with the name John Smith, but it's a fake? If he's an illegal with no record they may never be able to ID him. They would need to ask for someone to come forward.... which is what they are doing.

It's possible they released the name they have AND it's a lie, just not theirs.
Wild speculation but maybe he had an ID with the name John Smith, but it's a fake? If he's an illegal with no record they may never be able to ID him. They would need to ask for someone to come forward.... which is what they are doing.
I think we need Turtle Boy Sports on this case. Otherwise, we may never know the truth. :confused:

Only masslive is reporting it as Toby Hassajobenstein. That's probably because their reporter spent too much time on mass and cass or is trying to get a dry rub from an overweight liberal arts student. All others are "police did not release the name".
In a lot of outlying towns and cities, journalism is a lost art. Readers get a regurgitated press release or public statement. It's either laziness or an attitude of "if public officials don't want people to know then they shouldn't". If there were real journalism, reporters would dig beyond the summary presented by public officials - in this case the paper did not even publish details from the police report. Its like when the police withhold the name of an officer involved in a shooting - the local rags say it is withheld, but do not work their sources to get the name so they can publish the name.

Why are we assuming his name isn't John Smith? I worked with a guy back in the day whose kid was named John Smith.

Doing the math in my head, he would be about 31 today and considering his upbringing it wouldn't surprise me if this was him. He has a pretty recognizable first-middle name combo.

And because the police outright said that it was a "John Doe" placeholder to keep his real name secret at the family's request. [thumbsup]
And rather than suspend judgement until we know why they did that, let's make up a bunch of crap and keep repeating the lies that we've made up until no one on NES knows what's true and what is the figment of someone's imagination.

Last edited:
And rather than suspend judgement until we know why they did that, let's make a bunch of crap and keep repeating the lies that we've made up until no one on NES knows what's true and what is the figment of someone's imagination.
Isn't that how NES is supposed to work? [laugh]

Seriously, the family may have some excellent and well-justified reason for wanting their relative's name kept top secret. [thumbsup]

But meanwhile, the guy who defended himself is sitting in jail this Christmas with no one looking out for his family's reputation. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom