• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever consider downsizing and consolidating your guns?

I guess it depends on why you own guns. If you want to ollect and can afford to, no problem. If you don't shoot them, who cares?

For me, I like to shoot mine. Now that our son can shoot everything my husband and I can handle we share fewer guns because no one really likes to shoot the smaller calibers much. (45 is sooo much more fun than 22)

When we take friends to the range it is also good to have duplicates of caliber so that we can all shoot. Duplicates of actual guns are good too for many reasons.

Only guns I have sold was a mini-30 and 20" bushmaster....good riddance..I've traded a bunch though...with no regrets.

Currently debating selling one of the many Mosin-Nagants I own just because I thought I'd be a collector, but realized I'd rather shoot. So for me...owning more than one is silly. I pretty much shoot my M44 only and the rest just sit.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
if your not shooting them why keep them, unless of course they are

rare and have some collectors value. the other issue is having too many

calibers, even if you reload, its a real pain.

I consider firearms ownership as being a caretaker of an artifact....when I transfer that responsibility I am doing it for the benefit of the artifact, because I can no longer give it the attention it deserves. .....with the hope that it was passed down to others who hold the same values that it represented to me... it lessens the pain of separation just a bit.

I consider firearms ownership as being a caretaker of an artifact....when I transfer that responsibility I am doing it for the benefit of the artifact, because I can no longer give it the attention it deserves. .....with the hope that it was passed down to others who hold the same values that it represented to me... it lessens the pain of separation just a bit.

So, I should probably bring them to a gun buyback?

618px-Trollface_HD.png

I decided to focus on a few calibers and get rid of the rest. I do (pistol) .22LR, 9mm, .45 ACP, (rifle) .22LR, 5.56, 7.62x39 and 30.06, (shotgun) 20ga #6 & #8, 12ga 00 #4 and Slug . I think that pretty much covers most of the situations I'll encounter. I got rid of everything else. I have the pistols/rifles/shotguns I want and now I'm stocking ammo. I also have two air rifles in .177/.22 for smaller game (food).

I'm pretty content at this point. I would like to add a bolt in .308 to the mix but it's not a priority. I can get by with the 30.06 for larger game even though the cost of ammo is getting outrageous.

I dont have anything i would want to get rid of. Im still trying to get the list filled the last thing i am gunna do it trim it down. I have about a dozen firearms and they all get trips to the range.

I've got a single shot 20 gauge i havent shot in over 15 years, but my dad bought it for me so i don't think i'd get rid of it

Usually when I sell a gun it is because it did not preform or shoot the way I had hoped it would. In general, I really appreciate guns the same way that some guys appreciate classic cars or art. Even if I don't shoot it much, I just can't part with it. My M29 Classic comes to mind. I rarely shoot it and when I do it is usually 44 special, but it is such a pretty gun that I just can't part with it

Mixed bag. Some, like my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington kicked like a mule and I should have sold it after the first shot. Others, like my 700 in 22.250 was a sweet shooting rifle and I wish I still had it. Moved into the city and there aren't too many ground hogs around. Then there are all the .22's and shotguns that have passed through my hands. Kills me to think of what I could get for my Winchester 52 today. Collection is a lot smaller today, easier to manage, and I have what I need. No real regrets.

I have yet to sell a gun and regret it because I have always used the cash for a better one

Every gun I have sold was because I upgraded to something better in the same caliber/style.

I have a few guns that only get used once a year at best. They are not rare, collectable, or very valuable. But I enjoy shooting them on the rare occasion, and the fondling every now and again

Sounds to me George that you are in the same boat I am and are possibly running out of room or wanting higher end guns and are considering selling some of the lower end ones to fund new purchases.

I've bought plenty of guns that were too good of a deal to pass up and sold many that I either never shot, realized it was just an impulse buy at the time and I didn't really want it, upgraded to a better version, or just plain needed money for other things.

Even now as my collecting heads towards higher end models of guns that I currently own, I think of selling off some of the lower end versions. For example... I'd like to pick up a Polytech Legend AK at some point and would sell off my Polytech Mak90 in a heartbeat to afford a Legend model simply because its easier for me to come up with the extra $ I'd need after getting extra $ for the Mak90 than the full $1200 off the bat for one.

Not totally out of room, but I have to rearrange and bang around to get at stuff. I really only shoot three or four handguns and three or four rifles. It was the M95 thread that got me thinking. I shot it once at one of the Mansfield shoots and it has sat ever since.

Well one thing I have discovered since becoming involved in this hobby is that almost any gun you buy is a good investment with little to no loss if you change your mind, or just plain want to upgrade. As long as you do a bit of research, and not just impulse buy (so you know the average price of a particular model), you really can't lose.

I look in my safe and see a bunch of guns I don't shoot. Some haven't been out in years. I shoot once or twice a week, but usually the same guns.
I currently have about 16 different calibers, which is a pain to keep in stock. Most are milsurps.
I have been thinking of unloading a bunch of guns and just keeping my 45's, 38/357's, 22's, .223 and 30.06. Anyone ever scale down and regret it?

No, thats stupid. -1 rep inbound.

[wink]

IIRC, Jeff Cooper once indicated that he disapproved of such an enterprise, saying something to the effect that a man who would sell his own guns would likely also sell his own mother.

I will occasionally trade a gun toward another gun, but I don't generally sell them. I still own the first gun I ever bought - single shot 12 gauge - but I have owned a bunch of other shotguns since, having never found anything I really liked. I've gone through semi-autos, pumps and doubles, sometimes trading around because I am bored with them more than disliking them.

I've only ever bought one rifle and that is my Remington 700 BDL with which I have killed more deer than I can remember and I will never part with that one. The rest of my rifles are family guns I wouldn't even consider selling. One of them is an old .35 Remington that my great grandfather used when he was a Maine Guide - I am the fourth generation to shoot a deer with that gun and God willing, one of my kids will be the fifth generation.

Handguns come and go with me as I please. When I get bored with it I get something new (again with the exception of family guns).

Sold a beautiful Mauser FR7 308....18 years 4 months 2 weeks and 6 days ago, Ill never do it again. After that regret I have never sold anymore, not even my ugly little Carcano. 20 years ago I sold a 64 Impala SS convertible for cheap money to buy scuba gear and that never bothered me as much as selling the FR7

Not totally out of room, but I have to rearrange and bang around to get at stuff. I really only shoot three or four handguns and three or four rifles. It was the M95 thread that got me thinking. I shot it once at one of the Mansfield shoots and it has sat ever since.

Ever since I had to move and give up the vault, I'm banging stuff around to get at the ones in back of the safes, and my M95 also has sat since that day at Mansfield. I even thought about selling it but than I figured its small, I won't get much for it, and its unique so I kept it.

Back
Top Bottom