Ever consider downsizing and consolidating your guns?

George D

NES Member
I look in my safe and see a bunch of guns I don't shoot. Some haven't been out in years. I shoot once or twice a week, but usually the same guns.
I currently have about 16 different calibers, which is a pain to keep in stock. Most are milsurps.
I have been thinking of unloading a bunch of guns and just keeping my 45's, 38/357's, 22's, .223 and 30.06. Anyone ever scale down and regret it?

I have a 10 gauge that I won in a GOAL raffle that I've never even bought ammo for and that was a couple of years ago now. But yeah, I have a bunch of handguns that I don't shoot as much as others. I've got to either clear out a few or get a bigger safe with better organizational abilities.

I've got a few that I'm going to be selling this fall. They haven't been shot in years.

I've sold some guns:

- Glock 17
- HK USPc .40
- Kimber Compact Royal Carry
- SIG P226

I don't miss any of them. YMMV.

I've come to regret every gun I've sold or traded... even my m&p40c with that horrendous trigger!

You don't need to shoot them all but as soon as they are gone, you'll want to shoot them again

I have only sold 2 guns and I regret selling both. I think we all have our favorite shooters. I have several that have not been out in a while.

Hmm, well I have only sold eight guns, and don't really miss any of them. (my G19 a little).
G19, Browning Buckmark Bull barrel, Browning Buckmark standard, S&W/ Olympic Arms AR15, Belgian Browning A5, M&P9 and M&P9c and a Para LDA 1911.

(edit, nine guns, forgot about my WASR-10 I traded away)

Last edited:
I am selling a S&W 500 at the moment - don't think I will regret selling in the short term, but probably will miss it down the road when I can afford to shoot it!

Any money spent on guns I don't need is robbing the ammo supplies.

+1. Beware the man who owns only one gun - he probably knows how to use it.

I only have 4 guns: 22 rifle/pistol, 5.56 evil black rifle/ .40 (and 357sig/9mm) pistol. All I need now is a 357, shotgun, and maybe a little baby 22 or 38spl derringer. And an AK. And a couple Mosin Nagants. And a 500 s&w...

I am down to what I actually use. No spares.

Only one I regret selling is this one

625-6inch002.jpg

I may build another

I've sold way more than I currently own. I regret maybe one or two, but not enough to lose sleep over.
This past year it was the big "unload some of these hunting rifles" liquidation. It netted me enough $ to pay for a trip to Butner, and a trip to Perry.

Yes. I've actually done it over the past few months. Not consolidate guns, mind you, I have more of those than ever. I consolidated calibers. I sold a .357 and .38 that I never shot because of the ammo cost. That leaves me with .22, 9mm, .223, and 12ga. In other words, all of the cheap calibers. I plan on only buying guns in the future in those calibers. Even though it will be really hard not to add a 1911. I also have a Mosin (but I don't count that one since I have a lifetime of cheap ammo for it at the rate that I shoot it :) ).

All mine are shooters, so if isn't the best for that task, I get rid of it, I rather have one perfect gun then a bunch of meh guns.
I have yet to sell a gun and regret it because I have always used the cash for a better one

Most of my firearms are "collectibles" I downsized the "modern" firearms I own to like calibers and functionality and my proficiency with them. I have no need or desire to own a dozen or more handguns, 2 is fine with me.

On the other hand, I could easily justify another Nagant, or the Springfield 03 thats missing from my collection, or another Garand, or a swiss k31, or another Nagant, or another Finnish Nagant [smile]

I've never had any regrets, of course I've never sold one. [smile]

Maybe a better question is do I have any regrets about not buying a gun I saw? Hell Yes!!!!!

I am always looking to buy things I don't have. My collection is relatively small in total numbers. I have sold a few and don't miss them. Any one want to put some up for sale let me know.

I don't regret selling about 95% of the guns I've sold, but there is that 5% that had to go because of the money, and out of that class, there are a few that I miss.

-Mike

I am always looking to buy things I don't have. My collection is relatively small in total numbers. I have sold a few and don't miss them. Any one want to put some up for sale let me know.

This isn't a thinly veiled FS thread. :) If I sell, they go in the classifieds. I really do like the history, and it would be cool if I could display them, but due to our storage laws, they live in a big metal box. If I go to the range, I would much rather shoot my H&R Garand than any bolt action battle rifle I have so they just sit.

This is a really good thread, and I have thought about this quite a bit recently. I have decided that since I still don't have a sample of every type I want to have, I'm still not ready to part with any of them yet. When I have modded cars and motorcycles over the years, I have generally used current mods to finance the next level, and I plan to do that with the guns as well. I will likely just upgrade to a better quality version of some of what I already own, so at that point, I will have no regrets in selling them.

All mine are shooters, so if isn't the best for that task, I get rid of it, I rather have one perfect gun then a bunch of meh guns.
I have yet to sell a gun and regret it because I have always used the cash for a better one

That is a good point. Do I want to have four $250 rifles, or one $1,000 rifle?

I haven't been shooting long enough to have so many guns that I would want or need to sell them. I put a LOT of thought into each purchase, to ensure I "do it right the first time." I do this with cars/trucks/ boats, tools, homes, my motorcycle, and now, guns. This methodology guarantees me that my automobile purchases last longer than the payments, and that I will still like them, without that need to constantly change or upgrade. Same with my boat. I got the one I wanted the first time, so that I wouldn't get "two-foot-itis" and want to upgrade to a newer/bigger/better/faster boat later. 13 years later, and anything that's come out since is evolutionary, not revolutionary, so I don't feel compelled to spend money on "the next best thing."

So, I've got the "common" calibers in guns. .22LR. 9mm. 5.56/.223. 12 gauge. So far just one of each. Eventually I'll expand with probably a 1911 in .45ACP, then more of each of the others. Maybe a .22LR target pistol. Different uppers for the AR so I can re-purpose the lower & trigger group, etc.

"To me" guns are like tools. How many different kinds of hammers do you really need?

Back
Top Bottom